E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Looking for advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice...

OK guys, start the newbie jokes....

I currently have a 1999 CLK cabriolet that I bought new and love. I'm expected my first child and am reluctantly about to jump into an E class. Here are the questions:

1. I live in the northeast and the 4matic is attractive to me. Can't decide between the E350 4matic and the E500 4matic. The maniac in me says go for the E500, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost difference.

2. What's up with the panaromic sunroof? It's $10 more than the normal sunroof and I'd love to get some pros and cons.

3. The "keyless go" looks cool, but seems mildly freaky. Seems like if someone steals my wallet, they can stroll into my car. Thoughts?

4. I think I'm going to do European Delivery in May/June. Anyone have good/bad experiences?

Again, sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
1. Where in the northeast?
3. The Keyless Go system is your key, not the card anymore. So just like if anyone had stolen your key anyway, they can gain access to the car no matter what.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by billycwhatup

1. I live in the northeast and the 4matic is attractive to me. Can't decide between the E350 4matic and the E500 4matic. The maniac in me says go for the E500, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost difference.

2. What's up with the panaromic sunroof? It's $10 more than the normal sunroof and I'd love to get some pros and cons.

3. The "keyless go" looks cool, but seems mildly freaky. Seems like if someone steals my wallet, they can stroll into my car. Thoughts?

4. I think I'm going to do European Delivery in May/June. Anyone have good/bad experiences?

Again, sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks

1. I can't speak to the 4matic, because there isn't a diesel one yet. When that happens, I think it will be even more my dream car than my current CDI.

2. I love the panorama roof. It essentially gives both the front and rear pax their own roof window. Only the front one opens, though, in both of the modes you'd expect (tilt/slide). It brightens up my charcoal interior, but the (20% transmittance?) tint keeps the sun from being too bright. I thought it was considerably more than $10 different. Are you sure you didn't drop a zero in there somewhere?

3. Keyless go rocks, except for the annoying beep when you shut off the car. It is a little weird when you give the car to valets, because you'll have to fish the key out of your pocket. The car will, if desired, adjust to your personalized seat/mirror settings. Be advised that there are different memory sets for key-in-ignition and key-in-pocket.

Your wallet concern no longer applies, because they unfortunately discontinued the keys in the card form factor. You now get a smart key that can do quite a bit (opening windows,etc.), but still lives on a key ring.

4. European delivery is a blast, and a pretty good deal (on the order of 7% off). Search this forum for "european delivery", and you'll find a number of our stories/pictures, including mine and TPAbnz's. I did it in Nov/Dec last year, and I think Spring would be delightful.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I love my panorama sunroof. I don't think you could get it for only $10 more than the regular one, though. I think the regular one comes bundled with the HK sound system (at least it did when I bought my car), and if you buy the pano, you need to buy HK separately. The pano is waaaaaaaaaay up on the cool factor!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:09 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. As insane as it sounds, the "standard" sunroof on the 2006 E350 is $1550 (which includes the rear side sunshades) and the panoram is $1560 (without the sunshades).

Thanks all
Old 02-23-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Originally Posted by billycwhatup
I think I'm going to do European Delivery in May/June. Anyone have good/bad experiences?
Try a search in this forum for ED or European Delivery for lots of information.