Question re seat memory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Question re seat memory

Have had my 05 E320 4M for 3 weeks. I am enjoying this vehicle however I do have a question. I understand that the seat/wheel, etc memory is supposed to recognize which smart key is being used and place the seats, etc in the appropriate position. Mine is not doing that but works just fine after pressing the appropriate memory button. I may have programmed this incorrectly. Before I go back to the dealer for my 1000 mile service and complain can someone walk me thru the programming for this smart key function?? Thanks!!
Also has anyone been successful in having the seatbelt warning light /chime disabled??
Old 02-23-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have the dealer check it out.

My old BMW had to be activated to recognize the different Key Fobs.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 (silver/black)
I Believe That Function Has Been Disabled

There was a recent article in the MBCA STAR magazine in which an MBUSA quality guy said that certain features are being disabled because they are confusing to the customer. I think he cited this feature because people would swap keys within their family and not understand why the settings followed the coding in the keys. It may be possible to have it turned back on.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
I think that people believe the E-Class works like BMW's where the seat automatically moves to the correct position when a specific Smart Key is used to unlock the car or put in the ignition switch. It's my opinion that Mercedes will not do this.

If you carefully read the manual or try it, you will find that all that's unique about the Smart Key is that you can have three unique settings per Smart Key. You must still manually push the button to get the seat to go to the memorized position.

I have yet to find anything that would indicate that the Smart Key is all that smart.

There is also the idea that the last seat position will be remembered for each Smart Key. That is also not supported nor documented.

Believe me, I've spend a lot of time trying to get my Mercedes to work like BMW's do and I have not been able to do so nor can I find anything in the manual that suggests that they would.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:41 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
Originally Posted by BudC
If you carefully read the manual or try it, you will find that all that's unique about the Smart Key is that you can have three unique settings per Smart Key. You must still manually push the button to get the seat to go to the memorized position.
I am not too sure about the above quote. I have 2004 E500, my wife and I both have a smart key. Whenever she inserts her key in the car, the driver seat moves forward to her favorite position(too tight for me). But when i inserted my key, the seat moves to my position. I don't have to push the memory seat button by the door. I believe that there is a setting in the steering wheel command that can activate settings according to key, correct me if I am wrong. my settings were done by my dealer when I drove the car out of the lot, so I don't mess around with any settings.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by sosh
I understand that the seat/wheel, etc memory is supposed to recognize which smart key is being used and place the seats, etc in the appropriate position. Mine is not doing that but works just fine after pressing the appropriate memory button. I may have programmed this incorrectly. Before I go back to the dealer for my 1000 mile service and complain can someone walk me thru the programming for this smart key function?
The feature you’re questioning is “key dependency”. Go to SETTINGS, scroll to the submenu CONVENIENCE, scroll to KEY-DEPENDENT, press + to set key dependency to on within the multifunction display in the instrument cluster.

E-Class Operator’s Manual (page 170):
http://www.mbusa.com/media/downloads...tic_sedans.pdf
Old 02-23-2005, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by paulhu
I am not too sure about the above quote. I have 2004 E500, my wife and I both have a smart key. Whenever she inserts her key in the car, the driver seat moves forward to her favorite position(too tight for me). But when i inserted my key, the seat moves to my position. I don't have to push the memory seat button by the door. I believe that there is a setting in the steering wheel command that can activate settings according to key, correct me if I am wrong. my settings were done by my dealer when I drove the car out of the lot, so I don't mess around with any settings.
Who set it up for the seat to go to you wife's favorite position?

When you put your wife's key in, do the mirrors change?

When you exit the car, does the steering wheel move upward?

Are you sure you aren't confusing the Easy Exit feature with automatic seat/mirror/steering wheel adjustment per Smart Key?

I cannot find anything in the manual that describes how to set up seats/mirrors/steering wheel per key. I only see the ability to set up to three memory positions per Smart Key or to turn the Easy Exit feature on and off.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by konigstiger
The feature you’re questioning is “key dependency”. Go to SETTINGS, scroll to the submenu CONVENIENCE, scroll to KEY-DEPENDENT, press + to set key dependency to on within the multifunction display in the instrument cluster.

E-Class Operator’s Manual (page 170):
http://www.mbusa.com/media/downloads...tic_sedans.pdf
But that only lets you do what I've been saying, set up to three memory positions per key. Nowhere does the manual tell you how to set it so that it does what BMW's will do...move the seats/steering wheel/mirrors to a certain position when you unlock the car or insert the key in the ignition.

I've been trying to get my car to have key-dependency the way we'd like it since I bought it and I've never found anywhere that told me how to do it or have I been able to get it to do it.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Well, as long as we are on this subject (easy entry/exit), I have it set to move both the wheel and the seat. However, I have never noticed the seat moving back. The steering wheel, however, tilts up and down as it should.

The dealer told me that the seat does not move back because my seat is already by the B pillar. I am not a tall person, but I am not short either. I think it would be nice to have the seat move back a bit. I have the seat more or less in the middle (as far as its maximum forward or backward movement.

Does anyone know more specifics? I was just reading up on this in the manual, but I did not find any special notes about this. Does anyone know? Bud . . .

Steve
Old 02-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
But that only lets you do what I've been saying, set up to three memory positions per key. Nowhere does the manual tell you how to set it so that it does what BMW's will do...move the seats/steering wheel/mirrors to a certain position when you unlock the car or insert the key in the ignition.
Bud, I know what you’re implying or asking, maybe I misunderstood the question but I thought sosh wanted to know how to make all adjust once the key was inserted not when he opened the door.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
This is how you set up the new BMW 5-Series. I have yet to find anything like it for the E-Class....

When the respective last driver's seat, exterior mirror and steering-wheel position is called up (using the memory button, it) can be set for each key.
(open) Control Center, for principle details, refer to
page 16:
1. Open the menu
2. Select "Vehicle settings" and press the
controller
3. Select "Door locks" and press the controller
4. Select "Central locking" and press the
controller
5. Select "Last seat
6. Select "After unlocking" or "After door
is opened" and press the controller.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Bud, I know what you’re implying or asking, maybe I misunderstood the question but I thought sosh wanted to know how to make all adjust once the key was inserted not when he opened the door.
So far as I can tell, it doesn't work when you insert the key either. This is something I've been trying to get clear since I bought my car and I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't work the way we want it to work.

See my post about how you set it for BMW's. There's nothing like that for our E-Class cars.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by SAguirre
Well, as long as we are on this subject (easy entry/exit), I have it set to move both the wheel and the seat. However, I have never noticed the seat moving back. The steering wheel, however, tilts up and down as it should.

The dealer told me that the seat does not move back because my seat is already by the B pillar. I am not a tall person, but I am not short either. I think it would be nice to have the seat move back a bit. I have the seat more or less in the middle (as far as its maximum forward or backward movement.

Does anyone know more specifics? I was just reading up on this in the manual, but I did not find any special notes about this. Does anyone know? Bud . . .

Steve
Steve, I've never got the seat to move, only the steering wheel. I've given up on it. It may be defective or it may be that I have the seat so high that it can't go back any farther. If you get in the car with the seat where you normally keep it, can you move the seat any farther backward using the seat switch? If not, that's the problem.

Also, the seat won't go all the way back when you exit. It's only supposed to move back a few inches (according to the manual).
Old 02-23-2005, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)

I've been trying to get my car to have key-dependency the way we'd like it since I bought it and I've never found anywhere that told me how to do it or have I been able to get it to do it.
Hi BudC,
I will tactfully say that European seats do 'most' of what you claim they cannot do.

I see no reason why the seat settings will be different, but I have found the seat will not move to the correct memory position until you close the door and put the key in.

I keep repeating this but it never appears to sink in.

If the memory is programmed properly, then from the outside,

Unlock the car.

Get in.

Close the door

Insert the key

Hey presto.... Seat, Steering wheel and exterior mirrors will all move to the programmed position for that specific key.

If your key does not do it, the first thing I would suspect is 'operator error'

Read the manual, and read it again.

In Europe I believe this option only works if you have the full electric seat option.

Finally for SAguirre. If you or any one else wants the seat to move further back, it is a simple matter of just going to the dealer and have them alter the setting.

Good luck,
John
Old 02-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Well, as long as we are on this subject (easy entry/exit), I have it set to move both the wheel and the seat. However, I have never noticed the seat moving back. The steering wheel, however, tilts up and down as it should. The dealer told me that the seat does not move back because my seat is already by the B pillar. Does anyone know more specifics? Steve
Steve, there was some discussion about this. If by the b-pillar you mean the seat is in its furthest rear position then yes, your dealer is correct in saying that the seat will not go back any further - common sense. There is a point of recognition for the easy entry/exit feature to recognize. I understand that it possible for the dealer to reprogram this recognition point if it is too far forward, at least I remember reading about this here on the forum. Anyway, what I do is set my seat slightly forward from the rear most position. This does not make much of difference in leg comfort and the seat moves back as advertised.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by glojo
Hi BudC,
I will tactfully say that European seats do 'most' of what you claim they cannot do.

I see no reason why the seat settings will be different, but I have found the seat will not move to the correct memory position until you close the door and put the key in.

I keep repeating this but it never appears to sink in.

If the memory is programmed properly, then from the outside,

Unlock the car.

Get in.

Close the door

Insert the key

Hey presto.... Seat, Steering wheel and exterior mirrors will all move to the programmed position for that specific key.

If your key does not do it, the first thing I would suspect is 'operator error'

Read the manual, and read it again.

In Europe I believe this option only works if you have the full electric seat option.

Finally for SAguirre. If you or any one else wants the seat to move further back, it is a simple matter of just going to the dealer and have them alter the setting.

Good luck,
John

I've read the manual a million times. I've had the door closed when I inserted the key. I would respectfully request that you provide the instructions for setting this feature to do what it is we want it to do.

Thank you in advance,
Bud
Old 02-23-2005, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Steve, there was some discussion about this. If by the b-pillar you mean the seat is in its furthest rear position then yes, your dealer is correct in saying that the seat will not go back any further - common sense. There is a point of recognition for the easy entry/exit feature to recognize. I understand that it possible for the dealer to reprogram this recognition point if it is too far forward, at least I remember reading about this here on the forum. Anyway, what I do is set my seat slightly forward from the rear most position. This does not make much of difference in leg comfort and the seat moves back as advertised.
The "point of recognition" gets set by the seat controller when it hits the back stop, or in the case of something blocking the seat, it's furthest rearward travel. The reprogramming of the software back stop can be done by the dealership, to learn a new back stop. Also, the seat controller will learn a new back stop after every 250 actuations. So if you get your seat's soft back stop too far forward due to something behind the seat, you can reset the soft back stop by actuating the seat forward/backward a maximum of 250 times, and it will learn the new hard back stop.

I also drive with the seat all the way back so it won't go any further automatically. I've been in lots of cars with the easy exit feature set and yes, the seats do move automatically when the car is turned on. I don't like that and thus it is disabled in my own vehicles.

-s-
Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
John, the fact that the door has to actually be closed before anything starts moving itself is the most overlooked part of the easy entry/exit feature. Thanks for, once again, for pointing this out.

Bud, I’m not implying at all that you’re doing anything wrong or not comprehending the manual correctly (I agree the manual for the most part falls short) but if you programmed everything correctly according to what has been mentioned here and it still does not work correctly, it is time for you to visit your dealer.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by scorchie
The "point of recognition" gets set by the seat controller when it hits the back stop, or in the case of something blocking the seat, it's furthest rearward travel. The reprogramming of the software back stop can be done by the dealership, to learn a new back stop. Also, the seat controller will learn a new back stop after every 250 actuations. So if you get your seat's soft back stop too far forward due to something behind the seat, you can reset the soft back stop by actuating the seat forward/backward a maximum of 250 times, and it will learn the new hard back stop.-s-
Steve thanks for the details.

BTW, thanks for the heads up concerning the zinc coated bracket (AGW) availability – logic 7 thread. Called Caliber Motors to see and they said it would have to be shipped from TX and I could have it by tomorrow. Needless to say, I just got off the horn with my advisor!
Old 02-23-2005, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
About the seat position, I drive with the seat in the middle, meaning that it is neither all the way back nor all the way forward. This align the seat back more of less with the B pillar. (I might have said the wrong thing).

So I know that the seat has several inches to move back still, but it never has. The dealer said that it has nothing to do with the seat being all the way back, they said that it only moves back when the seat is considerably forward.

Does anyone have the Easy entry/exit feature move his or her seat?

Steve
Old 02-23-2005, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
OK, let me ask if this is how it's supposed to work. Key Dependent Memory function turned on and door closed.
  • Key 1 in Ignition
  • Seat, steering, mirrors stored in Memory Position 1
  • Key 1 removed from Ignition
  • Key 2 inserted in Ignition
  • Seat, steering, mirror position stored in Memory 2
  • Key 2 removed from Ignition

Person with Key 1 enter car, sits in seat, closes door and inserts Key 1 in ignition. Should this cause the seat, steering, mirrors to move to the Memory position 1 setting?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
I've read the manual a million times. I've had the door closed when I inserted the key. I would respectfully request that you provide the instructions for setting this feature to do what it is we want it to do.

Thank you in advance,
Bud

Hi Bud,
There has been countless threads on this topic, the procedure has been documented countless times, Barry45 and myself have had problems and if you do a search it might well prove profitable.

Konigstiger has hit the nail on the head when he states you might have a problem.

To prove just how good the system 'can' be, you need go no further than my particular circumstance.

My E-class was a present for my wife who is slightly taller than the 5' 1" Hell-ona Harley She is a petite 5' 4" and has the seat quite close to the steering wheel and at a high setting.

I am 6' 7", disabled with steel rods inserted into my spine, I cannot sit, and clearly cannot drive, but I have been determined to at least get into this brilliant vehicle.

When my wife gets out of the car, the seat moves right back as far as it can possibly go (after being set by use of the Star Diagnostic equipment).

I get in (which is a sight to behold) I slide up onto the seat and half lay across the front seats. Wife close's the drivers door, I insert my key and hey presto. The backrest goes down, the seat lowers itself to its lowest position, the steering wheel comes down, and the mirrors adjust to my settings. I am practically laying down, the steering wheel has extended out to it furthest setting, it has also lowered down so I can at least reach it and the mirrors have adjusted so I can see to the rear.

Now the 'nitty gritty'

I slide out of the car and lock it.

I am laughing now because this is where I get told off.

Wife comes along

Unlocks the car, gets in.

Falls backwards because the seat back is still reclined

she hurls abuse at her poor innocent husband who is in his room and cannot hear.

She then closes the drivers door, no doubt still muttering.

Inserts HER KEY and hey presto.

The battery practically drains as the seat goes forward, and upwards. The rear of the seat comes upright, the steering wheel goes up and the mirrors reset!!!!!

Now my car is nothing special. If mine can do it, then every other car with the same type seats can do it.

Only you know if your programming the key correctly.

Our car used to work perfectly for a week or so, and then the memory module would need re-programming. However since the last 'upgrade' the memory is perfect, and wife is chuntering

Sadly I can only get out to the car to program the Navigation system, Mp3's etc.

If you feel your seats are defective please copy this message and show it to your dealer.

Good luck,
John
Old 02-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
About the seat position, I drive with the seat in the middle, meaning that it is neither all the way back nor all the way forward. The dealer said that it has nothing to do with the seat being all the way back, they said that it only moves back when the seat is considerably forward. Does anyone have the Easy entry/exit feature move his or her seat?
Steve
Either move the seat back and forth 250 times or have it reset by the dealer .

Certainly, my seat works perfectly for an early build 03 that, as some on the forum would tell it, should have countless flaws that were only corrected in 04. :p
Old 02-23-2005, 03:37 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)

Thank you in advance,
Bud
According to my dealer, the Smartkey remembers the last position (before exit) the seat, steering wheel, and the exterior mirrors were in before you exit the car. The Smartkey does not know anything about memory seat settings. For example, if I drive using my Smartkey, the steering wheel, seat, and exterior mirrors move to the position the last time my Smartkey was used whether by me or someone else. My wife, using her Smartkey, the seat, steering, and mirror positions will return to when her Smartkey was used last.

Let us say that my wife goes shopping using her own Smartkey, the seat, steering wheel, and exterior mirrors move to the position when her Smartkey was used last time. My wife gives the Smartkey to a valet to park the car. The valet moves the seat back, adjusts the steering wheel, proceeds to drive the car. The Smartkey will now remember the positions that the valet has adjusted, not my wife's original setting.

When my wife is finished with her shopping, the Smartkey moves the seat, steering wheel position, and mirrors to where the valet adjusted last. When my wife gets in the car, all she has to do is to touch one of the memory seat button on the door panel, then the seat, steering wheel, and exterior mirror will move to the pre-programmed position. Now the Smartkey will remember this as the setting for next time for her Smartkey.

If next day, I wish to drive the car and using my Smartkey(as long as no one else has used my key to drive the car, and no positions have been changed), the seat, steering wheel, and mirror position will return to whatever position when my Smartkey was used last time.

So in other words, as long as the same Smartkey is used only by the same person and no changes are made to the positions of the seat, steering wheel, and exterior mirrors, then all positions will be the same everytime this Smartkey is inserted.

Easy entry/exit is a separate function. It moves the steering wheel up, driver's seat back when the driver's door is opened.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Hey Bud, any luck yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question re seat memory