Brake Problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by koko381
I would consider it a known problem if more than 25 people on this forum with an E500 or CLK500(which have the same brakes) have gone to their dealership and complained about this similar problem. Just because you do not have it, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. If you dont have any useful input on this topic, go lurk somewhere else.
It could hardly be said that I "lurk here". That said, the number of people complaining about brake squeal compared to the number of quiet E's out there makes you guys statistically insignificant. NOTE I said STATISTICALLY, not PERSONALLY. You do have noisy brakes, I believe you, What I said was I just think that your service people are not doing what they should to help you. The car's brakes are not statistically speaking noisy brakes by design. They should replace what they have to to quiet them down for you and you should then go thru a nice slow break in period with them. Then you wil be in the statistical MAJORITY, and happy with your brakes quietness, like MOST of us are.

You are angry with the wrong dude. (Re)read my post!

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-19-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Too true. By the way, I lurk around here ALL the time. There's so much good info and funny drama!!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Problems

Finally a thread on this! My 2003 E-500 was perfect until I took it in for the brake recall and a service D. The nightmare began at 52,000km (32,500 mi). Came out with squeeling brakes, supposedly new wipers that also squeeled and an overfilled oil condition with alarms right, left & center. It took 2 attempts to get the oil level right. As for the brakes, after being told by one dealer there is no problem and another dealer saying the pads were worn out. I escalated to the Dealer manager who finally agreed to split the cost on rear brake pads. Guess what, the brakes still squeel. Plus they won't repay the cost of having the oil error corrected. Have escalated twice now at Head Office in Toronto, Canada and I will not stop escalating until the brakes no longer squeel and all my money is refunded for 4 months of run around, dealys, patronization and outright lies. The Service Manager actually had the stupidity to say they had never test driven the vehicle after having had the car for a week! By the way up until this time I've used power washers at the car wash with no problem and in actual fact now that I have squeeling brakes the wash actually minimizes (but does not remove) the squeel for about a day! Will keep you posted.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:24 PM

2003 E500 Sport, 2004 E500 Wagon
At 23k miles I have started hearing a squeal when the brakes are cold. Get the brakes heated up and it goes away so it sounds like normal brake squeal to me (pads loosening up as they get worn) and should be fixed with some anti-squeal grease behind the pad, of course since I can't service the brakes I'll have to see the dealer. Normally I might consider replacing the pads, but after seeing the cost and since there are electronic wear indicators I don't see the point.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Word to the wise; if your brakes squeal, get your MBUSA Service & Parts Manager (SPOM) involved. I did, and I’m happy I did so – enough said!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Word to the wise; if your brakes squeal, get your MBUSA Service & Parts Manager (SPOM) involved. I did, and I’m happy I did so – enough said!
What exactly did they do to rememdy the problem?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by RJC
What exactly did they do to rememdy the problem?
MBUSA approved replacement of all rotors, pads, and sensors - the rear with updated pads (part # 004-420-44-20) at no cost. Of course not certain if this is an absolute “long term” remedy. Nevertheless I applaud MBUSA (most especially my SPOM) and my dealer’s shop foreman.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:32 PM

Air Force 1s
I live up north and I drove my car all winter and through some snow falls and started noticing the squeaking then, but now that it has warmed up the squeaking is gone or if it is there only when I startup and stop after driving for a while. Has anyone who has the squeaking on their car live in cold areas and drove in the snow?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:46 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
MBUSA approved replacement of all rotors, pads, and sensors - the rear with updated pads (part # 004-420-44-20) at no cost. Of course not certain if this is an absolute “long term” remedy. Nevertheless I applaud MBUSA (most especially my SPOM) and my dealer’s shop foreman.
Excellent, my dealer tried some BS pin lubrication etc recently and the squeal came back in less than 2 days. I will bring the updated rear pad info to the attention of my dealer. Just to make sure only the rear pads are updated right?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by RJC
Excellent, my dealer tried some BS pin lubrication etc recently and the squeal came back in less than 2 days. I will bring the updated rear pad info to the attention of my dealer. Just to make sure only the rear pads are updated right? Thanks
Yes.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:55 AM

Followup on problems?

Just curious to see if anyone has a followup. I'm finally annoyed enough that I'm going to hold my dealer accountable for my brake squeal that has been there on and off since puchasing my sedan. I've had it in at least 3 times for them to fix, usually once they pull the wheels and knock enough dust out it goes away for a couple of days and this last time they added more past but the squeal is starting to come back already.

I just picked up a '04 E500 wagon so I have another reference point. Since this car, so far, does not make any noise I hope it will give me a good option to push for some replacement.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Benz-E-r
I'm finally annoyed enough that I'm going to hold my dealer accountable for my brake squeal that has been there on and off since puchasing my sedan.
I would suggest referencing this DTB. You do not mention if the squeal is front, rear, or both. This may solve your problem. At the very least you’ll get the modified brake parts and possibly free front pads.

P-B-42.10/51d DEC05 - Front brake squealing/grinding noise
211.070 (e500 all model years), 211.065 (e320 up to production 8/05)

Addresses squealing or grinding noise from the front brakes, even when the brakes are not applied by installing revised pressure retaining springs and replacing pads (if necessary), piston damper, and brake lining.

The squealing/grinding noise when the brakes are not applied is the result of the pressure retaining spring slipping out of position and scraping on the face of the brake disc. Each time the brakes are applied, the play within the brake caliper guide channel causes the brake pads to move a short distance in the circumferential direction of the brake disc. This movement is then transmitted to the two retaining pins, which consequently rotate a small amount during each brake application. This rotation is then transmitted to the pressure retaining spring, which can cause it to dislodge from its original position. The revised pressure retaining springs incorporate retainer tabs.

Last edited by konigstiger; 01-03-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:59 PM

It is in the front. Thank you, this sounds like it may help!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:15 PM

2003 E-500
I would suggest referencing this DTB. You do not mention if the squeal is front, rear, or both. This may solve your problem. At the very least you’ll get the modified brake parts and possibly free front pads.

P-B-42.10/51d DEC05 - Front brake squealing/grinding noise
211.070 (e500 all model years), 211.065 (e320 up to production 8/05)

Addresses squealing or grinding noise from the front brakes, even when the brakes are not applied by installing revised pressure retaining springs and replacing pads (if necessary), piston damper, and brake lining.

The squealing/grinding noise when the brakes are not applied is the result of the pressure retaining spring slipping out of position and scraping on the face of the brake disc. Each time the brakes are applied, the play within the brake caliper guide channel causes the brake pads to move a short distance in the circumferential direction of the brake disc. This movement is then transmitted to the two retaining pins, which consequently rotate a small amount during each brake application. This rotation is then transmitted to the pressure retaining spring, which can cause it to dislodge from its original position. The revised pressure retaining springs incorporate retainer tabs.
MANY THANKS Konigster for this detailed message on how to solve the problem.

I took my car in this morning for a wash and mentioned to my long time Sevice Advisor that there was a TB out for correcting the problem. I then gave him a copy of your message. He took your message, went away for several minutes and came back and said they would look at it on my car. I got a nice new 4Matic C230 Wagon as a loner. (You always get a clean, late model MB loaner at my dealer--MB of Laguna Niguel)

This afternoon, my SA called and said they had corrected the problem and in doing so replaced my brake pads for free. So now, I have quiet brakes at all times and new pads. Also got a very good free car wash.

Hope your note helps other forum members resolve their squeaky brake problems. Fortunately, although the brakes were squeaking with no pressure applied, they always worked good and had over 50% of the pads remaining at time of replacement. Glad that the squeak didn't cause any braking problems.