E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Should I buy a Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E Class
Originally Posted by chairman
I always take Consumer Reports with a grain of salt. IMHO, they really do not like German cars, I guess that it is due, in part, to the cost to repair them. They do like Japanese and Korean cars but this is due partially, to the lower purchase price. I have owned both, and find the German cars more advanced and put together better.

That said, Lexus service is top notch. Many dealers can learn from them, and they never try to stick you with an off brand "loaner".
What you say with respect to CU 'bias' squares with my experience except for one exception. In about 1999 or thereabouts, CU reported that the BMW E-39 (5-Series) with the 6 cylinder engine was the best sedan they ever tested. I had a '97 E-39 V-8 and have the same opinion based on 210,000 miles. I replaced it with a 3-Series E-90 and didn't like it at all. I traded it in at 16k mi whereas I typically keep cars for 100,000 to 150,000 miles.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Infiniti M35
I just bought M35S

Wanted to get a 2010 E350 or BMW528, but you just cannot beat the Japenese cars when it comes to reliabilities...
Each of them has their strengths and each of them has their weaknesses. But M35 - Much more car for the money!
I'm absolutely astounded at the level of luxury, technology and comfort in this car. With perhaps one or two exceptions Infiniti has thought of everything with this car.
I have the Sport version with the 19" wheels so it rides a little rougher than maybe the other trims, but it's still an incredible ride. Sport pkg seats are perfect, just the right firmness for a balance of support and comfort.
The gas mileage it is not bad either (7 speed tran +303 HP) so far 19.4 MPG combined for this level of sophistication, luxury and comfort.
HTH
Old 10-22-2009, 06:05 PM

2010 E Class
Originally Posted by mb4z
Wanted to get a 2010 E350 or BMW528, but you just cannot beat the Japenese cars when it comes to reliabilities...
Each of them has their strengths and each of them has their weaknesses. But M35 - Much more car for the money!
I'm absolutely astounded at the level of luxury, technology and comfort in this car. With perhaps one or two exceptions Infiniti has thought of everything with this car.
I have the Sport version with the 19" wheels so it rides a little rougher than maybe the other trims, but it's still an incredible ride. Sport pkg seats are perfect, just the right firmness for a balance of support and comfort.
The gas mileage it is not bad either (7 speed tran +303 HP) so far 19.4 MPG combined for this level of sophistication, luxury and comfort.
HTH
Thanks for the post. I'n curious as to why you were shopping the E350 v. the 528i? As regards the M35, I have a question. Has Infinity/Nissan addressed the road/engine noise issue in the 2010 model? Earlier M35s though great in most respects were noisy compared to other cars in the class. BMW E60 cars get pretty noisy too after about 10k mi because of the run flat tires.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Infiniti M35
Originally Posted by ben721364
Thanks for the post. I'n curious as to why you were shopping the E350 v. the 528i? As regards the M35, I have a question. Has Infinity/Nissan addressed the road/engine noise issue in the 2010 model? Earlier M35s though great in most respects were noisy compared to other cars in the class. BMW E60 cars get pretty noisy too after about 10k mi because of the run flat tires.
I have actually looked at and tested ALL models in this class (Audi A6, BMW528, GS350, Jag XF, Acura RL, E350, Volvo S80 and even Hyundai Genesis, did not bother with Lincoln or Cadillac).
Merc, BMW and Infiniti were 3 I liked the most. You are correct about the noise, I remember testing m35 back in 2007 and I did not like it all (road nose, handle and balance). But this time around it was whole different car.
But I wish I could wait till next spring:
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...i-m-debut.html
Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 PM

2010 E Class
Originally Posted by mb4z
I have actually looked at and tested ALL models in this class (Audi A6, BMW528, GS350, Jag XF, Acura RL, E350, Volvo S80 and even Hyundai Genesis, did not bother with Lincoln or Cadillac).
Merc, BMW and Infiniti were 3 I liked the most. You are correct about the noise, I remember testing m35 back in 2007 and I did not like it all (road nose, handle and balance). But this time around it was whole different car.
But I wish I could wait till next spring:
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...i-m-debut.html
Thanks for the update on the M35. Glad to hear that the company has fixed the noise problem. I was impresse3d with the handling when I drove one a year ago.

I would think that a more fair comparison would be between the E60 535i and the E350. The 528i is not as strong with respect to HP or torque.

I think that you would do yourself a favor to take a long test drive in a CTS with the 3.6 L DFI engine. It would change your impression of Detroit iron.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C230 Coupe
Talking

Yes, buy mine. I have 2 for sale.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It seems very old thread. I did a similar research as mb4z. Tried all these cars including Cadillac and Lincoln. Actually liked formers however price was incredibly high.
Cars with low residual as S80, Genesis, XF went of consideration, since I leased. Although I liked S80v8. If I bought a car, then I certainly chosen Volvo, nice style, performance, maintenance program. I was really disappointed with M37. The car has feel like a tank, no impression with performance, quality ride, electronics and exterior. RL looked really cheap inside, so I even didn’t drive it. I was really impressed with GS350, it was surprise, very good quality ride, adequate performance, good handling. I was about to lease it, dealer had plenty them in lot, so I could select desired color combination. I didn’t like only interior style and rear visibility. A6 is about to redesign, so dealers simply didn’t have cars with options I like, so perhaps next year will good for taking A6. I had extensive driving of 535i, liked interior and BMW certainly did big progress with luxury, very comfortable ride, awesome electronics, many unique features, including head up display (yes, Cadillac has it for many years, but BMW). Since 535 was just out, dealers weren’t willing to negotiate good price and although BMW doesn’t deprecate so fast as Volvo, a lease deal was still a little high. So I had to deride between Gs350 and E350. Perhaps I should take Lexus, but anyway I stick with Benz for now.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 AM

11 E550, 05 NSX, 12 QX56, 93 Z32 TT, 12 CLS550
Originally Posted by Dema
It seems very old thread. I did a similar research as mb4z. Tried all these cars including Cadillac and Lincoln. Actually liked formers however price was incredibly high.
Cars with low residual as S80, Genesis, XF went of consideration, since I leased. Although I liked S80v8. If I bought a car, then I certainly chosen Volvo, nice style, performance, maintenance program. I was really disappointed with M37. The car has feel like a tank, no impression with performance, quality ride, electronics and exterior. RL looked really cheap inside, so I even didn’t drive it. I was really impressed with GS350, it was surprise, very good quality ride, adequate performance, good handling. I was about to lease it, dealer had plenty them in lot, so I could select desired color combination. I didn’t like only interior style and rear visibility. A6 is about to redesign, so dealers simply didn’t have cars with options I like, so perhaps next year will good for taking A6. I had extensive driving of 535i, liked interior and BMW certainly did big progress with luxury, very comfortable ride, awesome electronics, many unique features, including head up display (yes, Cadillac has it for many years, but BMW). Since 535 was just out, dealers weren’t willing to negotiate good price and although BMW doesn’t deprecate so fast as Volvo, a lease deal was still a little high. So I had to deride between Gs350 and E350. Perhaps I should take Lexus, but anyway I stick with Benz for now.
I've had 2 M45's. Fit and finish, ride, hush cabin, is no where near the E. I'm a first time German owner and quite hesitant to make the jump after dozens of Jap cars. So far, I'm loving the car. I also agree with the M37. It is a Tank. Hopefully the addressed the oil consumption issue along with the tramlining.
Good move on passing the GS. That car is getting a long tooth. So far the E has served me well.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
For what it's worth. Having owned a BMW 5 Series and a Porsche, I love my '11 350 Sport. Plan on keeping it for a long time. No regrets what so ever. Fits my lifestyle (kids) great.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:03 PM

2010 E Class
I own a 2010 E350 and have owned several BMW 3 and 5 series cars and have quite a few miles under my belt in the previous generation E class car. The current generation car is nice enough but doesn't drive as well as any of the others. I get the impression that D-B concentrated on debugging it and put driving dynamics on the back burner. It's nice to ride in but not for the driver, at least this driver. Nothing in the way of a mid size sedan remotely compares to the E39 5-series in my opinion. I also own a SLK and it's a far better driver with better (more supportive) seats to boot.

Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
For what it's worth. Having owned a BMW 5 Series and a Porsche, I love my '11 350 Sport. Plan on keeping it for a long time. No regrets what so ever. Fits my lifestyle (kids) great.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:58 PM

2011 W212 E550
I am not an expert....but I have owned 2009 MB SLK, 2009 MB C350 Sport, 2008 BMW 335i sedan, 2010 BMW 528i Sedan, 2010 E350, and 2011 E550. Each of the cars was super with only scheduled maintenance. The only warranty problem was very minor: a crimped window molding on the SLK where it had been mis-aligned during it's stay in the dealership showroom by some children whose parents did not apparently believe in spanking their kids! Quality was outstanding on both brands.....I would recommend you buy what you really like.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:33 PM

2010 E Class
"I would recommend you buy what you really like." I agree.

Originally Posted by ratucker3
I am not an expert....but I have owned 2009 MB SLK, 2009 MB C350 Sport, 2008 BMW 335i sedan, 2010 BMW 528i Sedan, 2010 E350, and 2011 E550. Each of the cars was super with only scheduled maintenance. The only warranty problem was very minor: a crimped window molding on the SLK where it had been mis-aligned during it's stay in the dealership showroom by some children whose parents did not apparently believe in spanking their kids! Quality was outstanding on both brands.....I would recommend you buy what you really like.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
People usually buy what they like, but they also like to hear that they are not alone.
The current E generation is really nice, finally my wife told I like the car and it is first car I like.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
I subscribe

Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
I gather you do not subcribe the CR. The annual CR on various models of cars and makes is based on the survery of its subscribers. It is NOT a subjective opinion from CR. In the most recent report, some Ford models, such as Fusion, can match the best from Japan!
I subscribe to CR-both magazine and website. And I take them with a big grain of salt. Have to remember that they are surveying people who subscribe to CR and bothered to submit a survey.
That said, the one advantage to CR is their very large pool and very detailed surveys.
Of course, someone may be mad and submit a survey really trashing their car. Reverse is also true in that some people may be overly generous in rating their cars.
BTW, they do NOT have 2009, much less 2010, MB E Class reliability reported because not enough surveys submitted. Not sure, but I beleive they do not report unless they have at least 100 responses.
Also, CR does not tell you how it determined the number of points to give a car when it does its reviews.
I would not bother with the annual "book" rating every thing as it merely briefly summaraizes the reviews from the monthly issues at the time it was sent for printing. Use the index in back of latest issue and find the specific issue for the car (or whatever) in which you are interested. In fact, I toss annual book each year.
The April issue each year is the overall car issue.
Rule of thumb-everybody, every magazine, every website is biased to some degree.
US News rated '10 E 350 as Number One Large Luxury Car.
I have a '10 E350 with P1 package and no problems/complaints at 6,000 miles and 9 months.

Last edited by El Cid; 08-29-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: correction