E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Test Drove New E...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Went keyes with a friend. She is in the market for a new car. Went to few dealerships down van nuys LA area.

Audi, bmw and benz. She didnt like bmw or audi, so last stop benz she tried the new E350 coupe and sedan and she said no matter how nice it drives she hates the way it looks from the rear she said is just plain ugly.

I personally thought it looked ok i guess the coupe looks better rear that is.

She bought ML550 2009 in the end. She likes height. I said you should HAVE GOTTEN THE E550 COUPE!!! oh wells. She did says its a good improvement from the w211.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
I agree with you that the W211 is a proper Mercedes. While the W212 is growing on me as a nice car it by no means give me, and some others, the impression it is a worthy successor to the W211 which in my book will go down as the last proper Mercedes. The W211 has some nice swooping curves on the hood that are accentuated by the signature round lights. While I think the W212 has a pretty face it is by no means serene. I see aggression and mischief when I see a W212 from head on and that's fine because that is what the whole car is supposed to project. By looking at the W212 it gives the impression that it will tear up the asphalt on your drive home. The W211 is more subdued and instead of menacing other cars on the road it will let you sit and unwind and whisk you home without any drama; to me that is a proper Mercedes.
I actually had the opposite reaction when the W211 was introduced back in...was it 2003?

When the middle Limousinen-klasse MB morphed from the W124 to the W210, I found it an acceptable evolution because the front fascia and the rear were still relatively square and appeared solid; even if the round headlights made its presence known as the way of things to come at MB.

Then the W211 came out and I was shocked at how svelte it appeared compared to the relatively square predecessors. I actually didn't like what MB had done with the W211 initially and preferred the 'brutal' for the lack of a better word treatment of the E-class (and the 300-class before that).

Of course the E60 5-series changed what my favourite was in this segment and went to 3rd place of 3 when the Audi A6 came out.

For me, the W212 hails back some of MB's older more square design language of yore and is one of the reasons why I appreciated it immediately - and seeing in person has only enhanced my impression of the car's aesthetics.

The fleet sales manager at my local dealer told me the W212 drives with a 'heavier' steering feel more like a 5-series and he worried that some of MB's traditional customers may frown upon it. I for one am psyched to drive the W212 for the first time if its steering feel and feedback qualities come closer to matching the BMW's, one of my few pet peeves of the marque.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
This morning I was approaching a red light and I saw a black car further ahead of me waiting for the light to turn green. From the rear lights it looked like a C class...until I got closer and saw that it was a Camry
That ALWAYS happens to me. The rear of a W204 and last gen Camry are almost indistinguishable from a bit of distance from the back.

I wholeheartedly agree with your views, I saw and extensively drove a W212 today, gonna post a review of it on another Thread.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:19 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
Just got back from local dealer to look at the 2010 E. Must say that IMO, I think it looks great!
I think the interior is definitely better than the BMW. And the price on the E550 is more than reasonable.
Waiting for the E63 to come out in the fall for test drive...
Old 06-17-2009, 06:13 PM

2010 E350 4Matic w/sport package
I just drove the E350 Sedan today as well it was the silver with the black/brown interior. It drives nice but I kept reaching for the shifter especially when I went in reverse so I will miss that VERY much. Unless I heard the rep wrong but I was happy to hear that the back up camera and DVD player in the Nav comes with the P1 and no need to go to P2 to get it. The vibrating steering wheel was annoying, I think it has something to do with keeping you awake when you drive? who knows.

The rear of the car is where they messed up, the front is perfect though I would like to see the grill from the 2 door coupe on the sedan but oh well. The car I drove was the sport package and had a little rear lip spoiler and I think some body kit/moldings on the car. I am pretty sure the rims were not the AMG sports package rims like the 321 AMG package that I have on my '08 E350. I think I may have seen a photo of the new rims or the 2010 sport package and I think they were dual spoke which I do not like as much as my rims.

Anyway good ride, sweet interior, hate the shifter being moved and the rear/headlights etc but excited to get one come this fall in black/black.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by DieselNY
The vibrating steering wheel was annoying, I think it has something to do with keeping you awake when you drive? who knows.
The vibrating steering wheel is part of the Lane Keeping Assist function which is part of the Driver Assistance Package. You should be able to turn it off in the instrument cluster.

Last edited by pmb600; 06-17-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by DieselNY
The vibrating steering wheel was annoying, I think it has something to do with keeping you awake when you drive?
Sleeping feels so much better, although the good feeling might not last long if you are at the driver's seat.