Drove a Sedan extensively today, here's a positive review by me:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:41 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah, to me a good new design is one that just takes what the old one did and improves it, which in turn makes the old one look like an "old version". The W212's relationship to the W211 is so opposite to it that it doesn't do this at all to it IMO, which in turn is good for me.

The new 5 looks like it's going to be a refined and more mature design approach, basically as if the designer has finally "perfected" what they've been trying to go after, without the time-specific garb and gimmicks.

The current 5 I agree is a pretty sloppy design IMO, I have a couple in the family and have driven them a lot, they just don't impress me. I don't think they'll age too gracefully after the new one's been out for a couple of years or so too.

I do think the Sedan will have the same interior as the GT more or less! I agree, it looks nice, and from the pics looks a bit more stylish than the W212's, I'll hold off on final judgement until I "feel" it though, as that's where M-B has always had BMW's number.

I really think the next 5 is going to be a homerun, at least I'm hoping, I gotta like at least one of these new-model mid-size Luxuries for the next 7 years.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by K-A
Nice. Was this a car driven by a new owner? I'm actually surprised I have yet to see any on the road (as I think some have been delivered to select Dealers already?), and I'm also surprised we haven't seen any U.S owners on the Boards yet, if that is the case.
I didn't think they were shipping any W212s to the States yet except for dealer demos. The one I saw was on Valencia right near Magic Mountain. I couldn't tell if it was a new owner driven car.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by K-A
Looks like I've confirmed my thoughts that M-B's designers may be lacking these days IMO, but their Engineers are the BEST out there, period.

I drove the gorgeously color-coded "Demo model" today, here's my take:

First off I must say this was like the 3rd Dealership Staff/Salesman I talked to who do not like the car at all (many comments of "looks like other cars/Japanese cars", seem to be a trend), which is funny (and commendable) as you'd think they'd want to grease me up with compliments toward the car.

Exterior wise everyone here knows my take as I've said it a bajillion times. It was parked next to a W211 again, and we were all just standing there saying how it does not make the W211 look dated at all, it just looks like a whole different car. Also, to add once again, I can't get over how those headlights are the ugliest most disproportionate things (they don't make any sense together and have no flow) I've seen on an M-B's face IMO.

Interior had a BEAUTIFUL color combo (are they going to sell these Demo models?). As I've said before, IMO it lacks a bit of the elegance and refinement of the W211's interior, and just seems like there's more plastic overall, and feels "harder", and some of the little tid-bits a weirdo like me would notice look downgraded and cost cut. But all in all it's still a nice interior, and feels a tad stronger, and more bomb-proof than the W211's.

As for the drive: WOW WOW. Like I guessed, it feels exactly like a W211 (any owners of the 211 will feel right at home when they start moving it), but does about everything better. The handling is precise and feels perfect, it is completely responsive. The ride is actually a bit floatier and less stiff/bouncy than my E (with the AMG Package/Suspension), and it seems to have a bit more body roll I think, but due to the steering and great chassis, it feels more confident in the handling department. The Tests done on it seem to show the W211 and W212 putting down the same slalom speeds and lateral G's it seems though.

It was an E350, but felt like it had a bit more pick-up than my car (Salesman said it is geared differently?), and the Braking had a better feel and seemed more confident than mine (it is a new car VS used car though), although tests seem to show both cars stop at the exact same distance.

The interior makes for a nice environment, it doesn't feel like your driving as "fancy" as you are in a W211 IMO, and again, it does feel a bit "harder" here and there IMO, but it feels a bit more solid, confident, etc. and does the job perfectly.

To close, I just can't stress how amazing this car drives, I love how the W211 drives, and this just capitalizes further on what that is. It's just as quiet, if not a teeny bit more, I could have driven the car for 10 hours straight and felt great. NO vibrations or rattles (can't say the same about the 211, which has a couple here or there) but I'll withhold judgment until the W212's break in and get some miles on them. M-B might have IMO messed up the styling of the E, but they proved that no one can touch them in how to Engineer a car. It does exactly what it's supposed, and takes care of you perfectly, it doesn't overstep its bounds or give you any big "wow" factor, but the fact that it does what it does so flawlessly, is worth more than any "wow" you might get with fancier cars, when it comes to living with it daily.

When I saw it sitting next to the W211 I think the term "Beauty And The Beast" summed it up nicely. The W211 is such a svelte and pretty car, and the W212 is such a broad, simple/plain jane, clunky, ungraceful, sharp-edged and relatively aggressive, strong, brute look of a car.... I know some of those descriptions don't go together, but somehow the car fits all of them. I think that pretty much sums up what both are going after. Although when you get behind the wheel of the new E, that's where it really dazzles you.

They weren't Selling the car so no Lease Rates or anything like that yet.

Oh, BTW, they had a Coupe there, it looked AWFUL IMO, I actually started to like it before, but it just doesn't look good IMO, pretty boring all in all. I guess I now like the Sedan better than it.
I thought the headlights looked great! In fact , the whole car is beautiful but I do agree the taillights look like the rear end of some Infinitis (can't remember which one).
I agree with you that the new 2 door is not very attractive. MB should have stayed with the CLK series.
The demo color is a nice color although I'm not sure I would buy it. The interior looks like some kind of designo edition and gives it a richer look and the rear spoiler on the trunk (boot) is a nice touch too.
I didn't get to drive the car as they won't offer me rides like they used to because they know I drive the S600 and know I would be downsizing, but I like small cars too!! They forget my wife drives a C class.

I give the car a 9.7 out of 10.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by ghaffar23
The cocksters drive the BM's and the Audi's...LOL! They always mention this when they're reviewing the two aforementioned brands. LOL! I just don't like how either of them feel for some reason...it's something about a Mercedes. Porsche is different
I always look between the two rear wheels to determine the gender, don't you?
Old 06-21-2009, 05:23 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I thought the headlights looked great! In fact , the whole car is beautiful but I do agree the taillights look like the rear end of some Infinitis (can't remember which one).
I agree with you that the new 2 door is not very attractive. MB should have stayed with the CLK series.
The demo color is a nice color although I'm not sure I would buy it. The interior looks like some kind of designo edition and gives it a richer look and the rear spoiler on the trunk (boot) is a nice touch too.
I didn't get to drive the car as they won't offer me rides like they used to because they know I drive the S600 and know I would be downsizing, but I like small cars too!! They forget my wife drives a C class.

I give the car a 9.7 out of 10.
Nice. Yeah, like I've said before I think this will be one of the more polarizing E's in history, as already it seems some think it's downright ugly, and some think it's gorgeous, and than many (I think the vast majority) find it kind of "eh whatever, no biggie", aka not enough of anything to evoke a strong emotion.

That 2 Door just looks horrible in person, what a shocker that was to me, I was initially certain I'd like it more than the Sedan. It just looks generic and fussy, bad combination IMO.

I dunno, in regards to the headlights, I just think they look too clunky and off alignment from each other, just a completely un-characteristically amateur execution by M-B IMO, kind of goofy. But to each their own. :

That's funny you didn't think they'd give you a drive though, haha. I dunno, I'd think if they were smart, you being an S600 owner, they'd wanna kiss your butt a bit, lol.

Touche on the interior color too, gives it a richer feeling. I think if I were to own one it would have to have that color as I think it gives the interior a warmer and classier look.

Last edited by K-A; 06-21-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by K-A
Nice. Yeah, like I've said before I think this will be one of the more polarizing E's in history, as already it seems some think it's downright ugly, and some think it's gorgeous, and than many (I think the vast majority) find it kind of "eh whatever, no biggie", aka not enough of anything to evoke a strong emotion.

That 2 Door just looks horrible in person, what a shocker that was to me, I was initially certain I'd like it more than the Sedan. It just looks generic and fussy, bad combination IMO.

I dunno, in regards to the headlights, I just think they look too clunky and off alignment from each other, just a completely un-characteristically amateur execution by M-B IMO, kind of goofy. But to each their own. :

That's funny you didn't think they'd give you a drive though, haha. I dunno, I'd think if they were smart, you being an S600 owner, they'd wanna kiss your butt a bit, lol.

Touche on the interior color too, gives it a richer feeling. I think if I were to own one it would have to have that color as I think it gives the interior a warmer and classier look.
They did tell me that the AMG versions were really hot looking. Hopefully my MB dealer will have a few soon. The E63 was in the $80+K range IIRC.