E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E coupe v E sedan thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
E coupe v E sedan thoughts

I withdrew my order for an E coupe and changed it to an E sedan. I drove the E350W 3 times, E350C 3 times , and the E550C two times. I have not yet driven the E550W although I have a 2004 E500 so I am familiar with Airmatic, 8 cylinders in an E sedan.
In the final analysis, I think the coupe is a gorgeous automobile. It rides great though it does not have the feel of the longer wheelbase sedan with airmatic. For the money I characterize it as a C-class on steroids but not an E class as explained below.
IMHO, these are the E coupe shortcomings using the sedan as the standard of comparison-
1. The seats are not comfortable. (I am 6’0” 180lbs) The E350C standard seats don’t have great lateral support although the seat bottom was OK. The high-end E550C seats were too narrow in the thigh due to the cupping angle of the bolsters (not adjustable) and impinged on my ability to spread my legs wide enough for comfort. The lateral support, even with multi-contour option, is not as good as the sedan (It doesn’t “hug” you as tightly), lacks functionality compared to sedan seats, are too hard and not adjustable enough. Getting into the sedan right after driving the coupe and I thought “ahhhh”. So if comfort is important, this car is not in the same class as the sedan.
2. Short wheelbase. Same as C-class and BMW 3 coupe. If you like the size, that is fine, but the E coupe is much higher priced than the C and 3. And it lacks M-B’s own airmatic suspension when compared to the E550 sedan. This is not an E sedan with 2 doors chopped off. Maybe good, maybe not.
3. Interior appointments have too many C-class parts -- in particular vents and center console. Doesn’t have the wow factor of the sedan like the storage bins under the seats, the ambient lighting, and other appointments and spaciousness. The center console is clearly out of the C-class parts bin and is not worthy in look, feel or functionality of a $65,000 car (in an E550 with options). The steering wheel seems smaller or not thick enough compared to sedan. Maybe perception or maybe it is smaller.

Everything else about the drivetrain, electronics, look, feel fit and finish is top rate.

All in it is a very nice auto but not quite an E class due to wheelbase, space and materials. It costs as much as a similarly optioned sedan. In short there is an attribute missing from the coupe which the sedan has: gravitas.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
You're making a good choice. I'm not a big fan of the Sedan but know very well that it is an incredibly engineered and great driving machine.

IMO the Coupe not only looks disappointingly boring and awkward in person, but it is kind of a rip off, considering you get much more car with the E Sedan, as it is a true "E". IMO the W204 C-Class has a horribly awful and cheap interior, and when I sat in the Coupe, the fact that it reminded me at all of the C's interior would be a deal breaker if I were in the market for one. To note though, the E Coupe's driving refinement, quietness, and overall interior and exterior refinement are definitely steps above the W204, to be fair.

I think they should have sold the Coupe at a cheaper price than the Sedan. However, since the Sedan has a pretty boxy and conservative a look to it this time around, I can see the younger and especially female buyers going straight for the Coupe if they're in the market for an M-B.

Last edited by K-A; 06-30-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
To me the sedan is a better deal. Can't see paying 50K for a C Class.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

That's what I'm sayin'. The E-Coupe is indeed more than just a C-Class, but it does carry some C-Class in it, if I were to be interested in either of these cars enough to make a real purchasing choice, it would be Sedan no contest for me. IF the Coupe had a strikingly Sporty and sexy look to it (which it was supposed to, but failed IMO), I might overlook those other shortcomings as it would give me what the Sedan is not, but it's not, so I think the Sedan is where it's at between the two, personally.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
They should have come out with a C coupe versus an E coupe. Would be cheaper and better competitor, price wise, with 3 series coupe and A5. BMW doesn't have a 5 series coupe and Audi doesn't have an A6 coupe. Idk why MB went this route instead of bringing a C coupe. Would've been more economical in regards to price and probably would sell better in this day and age.

The interior in the E550W is sooooo much nicer than the E550C. I can see what you guys mean by the coupe looking more C class interior. The sedan seems warmer and more inviting. More S classish IMO.

Ya, and I noticed too the E550C doesn't have airmatic, but has Agility control (same as E350) as an option, which is what comes on the C classes. WTF is up with that??? Also, there is no convertible yet. So, does that mean they will come out with a E convertible OR will the CLK convertible still be around??? That's another thing, they should have a C convertible that way it would be cheaper and better competitor with 3 series convertible and IS convertible.

Last edited by gaazmon; 07-01-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by gaazmon
They should have come out with a C coupe versus an E coupe. Would be cheaper and better competitor, price wise, with 3 series coupe and A5. BMW doesn't have a 5 series coupe and Audi doesn't have an A6 coupe. Idk why MB went this route instead of bringing a C coupe. Would've been more economical in regards to price and probably would sell better in this day and age.

The interior in the E550W is sooooo much nicer than the E550C. I can see what you guys mean by the coupe looking more C class interior. The sedan seems warmer and more inviting. More S classish IMO.

Ya, and I noticed too the E550C doesn't have airmatic, but has Agility control (same as E350) as an option, which is what comes on the C classes. WTF is up with that??? Also, there is no convertible yet. So, does that mean they will come out with a E convertible OR will the CLK convertible still be around??? That's another thing, they should have a C convertible that way it would be cheaper and better competitor with 3 series convertible and IS convertible.
In Canada the E coupe is cheaper than the E sedan and I believe it is the same in the USA. The E coupe is based on the E sedan rather than the C sedan so you are getting the E value. Airmatic may be good if you intend to change your car every few years but if you keep your car as long as I do (20 years with my sold 560 SEL) then it is wise to get one without all the electronics and fancy goods that are going to disintegrate on the warranty expiry date.

If you go to the AutoAuthority website now you will see the E convertible testing. It looks good.

After saying all the above I agree that the E sedan is a better buy for someone my age which is over 50.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
interesting

Originally Posted by Rudegar
I withdrew my order for an E coupe and changed it to an E sedan. I drove the E350W 3 times, E350C 3 times , and the E550C two times. I have not yet driven the E550W although I have a 2004 E500 so I am familiar with Airmatic, 8 cylinders in an E sedan.
In the final analysis, I think the coupe is a gorgeous automobile. It rides great though it does not have the feel of the longer wheelbase sedan with airmatic. For the money I characterize it as a C-class on steroids but not an E class as explained below.
IMHO, these are the E coupe shortcomings using the sedan as the standard of comparison-
1. The seats are not comfortable. (I am 6’0” 180lbs) The E350C standard seats don’t have great lateral support although the seat bottom was OK. The high-end E550C seats were too narrow in the thigh due to the cupping angle of the bolsters (not adjustable) and impinged on my ability to spread my legs wide enough for comfort. The lateral support, even with multi-contour option, is not as good as the sedan (It doesn’t “hug” you as tightly), lacks functionality compared to sedan seats, are too hard and not adjustable enough. Getting into the sedan right after driving the coupe and I thought “ahhhh”. So if comfort is important, this car is not in the same class as the sedan.
2. Short wheelbase. Same as C-class and BMW 3 coupe. If you like the size, that is fine, but the E coupe is much higher priced than the C and 3. And it lacks M-B’s own airmatic suspension when compared to the E550 sedan. This is not an E sedan with 2 doors chopped off. Maybe good, maybe not.
3. Interior appointments have too many C-class parts -- in particular vents and center console. Doesn’t have the wow factor of the sedan like the storage bins under the seats, the ambient lighting, and other appointments and spaciousness. The center console is clearly out of the C-class parts bin and is not worthy in look, feel or functionality of a $65,000 car (in an E550 with options). The steering wheel seems smaller or not thick enough compared to sedan. Maybe perception or maybe it is smaller.

Everything else about the drivetrain, electronics, look, feel fit and finish is top rate.

All in it is a very nice auto but not quite an E class due to wheelbase, space and materials. It costs as much as a similarly optioned sedan. In short there is an attribute missing from the coupe which the sedan has: gravitas.
It all depends on what you are looking for. I like the sedan because it has the Poton rear wheel arch and more balance. The E coupe reminds me of the old C "Krompressor" coupe in shape and design, rather cheap looking.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by harkgar
It all depends on what you are looking for. I like the sedan because it has the Poton rear wheel arch and more balance. The E coupe reminds me of the old C "Krompressor" coupe in shape and design, rather cheap looking.
Actually the Coupe has the arch too. I think it looks even a bit more awkward and forced on the Coupe though.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by harkgar
In Canada the E coupe is cheaper than the E sedan and I believe it is the same in the USA. The E coupe is based on the E sedan rather than the C sedan so you are getting the E value. Airmatic may be good if you intend to change your car every few years but if you keep your car as long as I do (20 years with my sold 560 SEL) then it is wise to get one without all the electronics and fancy goods that are going to disintegrate on the warranty expiry date.

If you go to the AutoAuthority website now you will see the E convertible testing. It looks good.

After saying all the above I agree that the E sedan is a better buy for someone my age which is over 50.
I see what you mean about the airmatic. I just love the adjustable features. The raising comes in handy since I have an uncle with a weird driveway that arches up then down so if I raise the car, it won't scratch the bottom.

So the CLK convertible is going too. Ok, cool. I just think, competition wise, it would have been better for a C coupe and C convertible. It better be a hardtop convertible too. I mean the SLK and SL are hardtop so it only makes sense.

I'm 21 and I still like the E sedan better . The interior just speaks to me more than the coupe's. I'm a big interior guy, that's why I love the S and CL. You sit in them, and it's like WOW.