E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 COUPE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CLE53AMG
Cool E550 COUPE!

Just received delivery of my black/black E550 coupe, P2 package, appearance package, etc.

This car is better than I imagined it would be after the looong wait. It's very, very fast but also very comfortable and extremely smart. The aggressive and sexy appearance is unmatched. I love the headlights - I leave them on bright mode and they automatically adapt to the road conditions. The transmission is incredible -> sport mode and fully manual mode (doesn't shift for you) - and is extremely smooth, much smoother than the E55 AMG.

It's the best car I have ever driven, period....
Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Pics will tell everything....

Andy
Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM

CLE53AMG
pics

Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Pics will tell everything....

Andy

here are some pics
Attached Images     
Old 10-20-2009, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Nice coupe man...but those pics are small cant really see them well lol.

Andy
Old 10-20-2009, 11:40 AM

CLE53AMG
i posted the good ones under a different thread and it won't let me repost them. i'll take some more and post them. if you can find the thread, it's "New E550 2010 Owner"
Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Looks great!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 AM

CLE53AMG
E550C pics

hey i posted some pictures under a photo album yesterday called "E550C" (I think). check em out! another member posted an album of his white E550C as well.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nothing right now
Question

Originally Posted by cmcbenz
Just received delivery of my black/black E550 coupe, P2 package, appearance package, etc.

This car is better than I imagined it would be after the looong wait. It's very, very fast but also very comfortable and extremely smart. The aggressive and sexy appearance is unmatched. I love the headlights - I leave them on bright mode and they automatically adapt to the road conditions. The transmission is incredible -> sport mode and fully manual mode (doesn't shift for you) - and is extremely smooth, much smoother than the E55 AMG.

It's the best car I have ever driven, period....
Congrats! It really is a beautiful car. Do you have a problem with head clearance? The lack of height was a problem for me but it just adds to the visual appeal.

Shane D
Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM

CLE53AMG
Originally Posted by Shane D
Congrats! It really is a beautiful car. Do you have a problem with head clearance? The lack of height was a problem for me but it just adds to the visual appeal.

Shane D

I don't have a problem with head clearance...I'm 5'11". I've had a couple friends ride in the back seat who were up to 6'2" - they had to adjust their seating position a bit to be comfortable. I would say the back seat is good for people up to 5'9" or so.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:46 PM

nothing right now
Arrow

I don't have a problem with head clearance...I'm 5'11". I've had a couple friends ride in the back seat who were up to 6'2" - they had to adjust their seating position a bit to be comfortable. I would say the back seat is good for people up to 5'9" or so.
Thanks fort the reply. I am a shade under 6ft but I am more torso than legs and this car was too short for me. But it REALLY is beautiful.

Shane D
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM

CLE53AMG
Thanks fort the reply. I am a shade under 6ft but I am more torso than legs and this car was too short for me. But it REALLY is beautiful.

Shane D
are you looking at getting a benz? how do you like your infiniti?
i think the E550 Sedan would accomodate. I love the seats in that car - they massage you.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:47 PM

nothing right now
Smile

are you looking at getting a benz? how do you like your infiniti?
i think the E550 Sedan would accomodate. I love the seats in that car - they massage you.
I was looking at an E-Class. I LOVE the look. But the 350 was too sluggish and the 550 is probably too expensive for me.

I have enjoyed my Infiniti immensely. First high end (to me) luxury car in my life and it has been great. However as the four year lease winds down I want to try every possible option before I lock in for another four years.

As a complete about face, today I drove a 335i convertible coupel First time in a decade that I drove a stick and it was a riot. In the last four years I rarely use the back seats of a sedan and the coupe does look better.... Also there is the option of a Dinan upgrade to 375hp!!

Next on the list is an Audi S5/S4, if my local dealer has them in stock.

Shane D
Old 10-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Not a MB (yet...)
cmcbenz,

I saw the pics, and all I can say is GORGEOUS CAR!

Basically the same setup I am planning on getting. Blk/Blk P2 plus appearance pkg.

I live in the desert, so maybe you don't have a reference, but how does the pano sunroof feel on a sunny day with the screen closed? Did you get the pano roof tinted as well? Also was your tint from the dealer or after the sale?

I am so glad you put up pics, as I have not really seen the black on black look yet. Awesome.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 PM

CLE53AMG
Originally Posted by stogie1020
cmcbenz,

I saw the pics, and all I can say is GORGEOUS CAR!

Basically the same setup I am planning on getting. Blk/Blk P2 plus appearance pkg.

I live in the desert, so maybe you don't have a reference, but how does the pano sunroof feel on a sunny day with the screen closed? Did you get the pano roof tinted as well? Also was your tint from the dealer or after the sale?

I am so glad you put up pics, as I have not really seen the black on black look yet. Awesome.
Thanks! When I ordered mine I really didn't know what to expect - it's impossible to find pictures of a black/black with P2 and appearance package. Once it arrived, all my expectations were exceeded. The exhaust sound is amazing. And it's very, very quiet on the highway - but you can still hear the hum of the engine. I love the paddle shifters and the bolstered seats - the seats would be too firm without them.

I had the tint done at the dealership - it's the metallic tint that blocks 80% of heat or so, makes a huge difference. They actually tinted the front windshield slightly as well (70% light allowed through) - blocks the heat and cuts down on glare, I highly recommend it. It doesn't reduce visibility at all either (not even at night). They tinted the pano roof as well at 35% as well as the windows at 35%. Make sure if you get metallic tint that it's the kind that allows GPS and other signals through - I think it's called llunar axcess (?). Your dealer should know... I negotiated the tint as part of the price discussion.

The heat hasn't bothered me at all with the screen closed. Of course, I haven't seen a hot sunny day yet - just mild sunny days . I used to live in the desert - I think with the combination of the shades and if you get the metallic tint you should be OK...
Old 10-24-2009, 12:54 PM

Not a MB (yet...)
Awesome. Thanks so much for the info. I will drool over your car until I order mine!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:59 PM

CLE53AMG
I was looking at an E-Class. I LOVE the look. But the 350 was too sluggish and the 550 is probably too expensive for me.

I have enjoyed my Infiniti immensely. First high end (to me) luxury car in my life and it has been great. However as the four year lease winds down I want to try every possible option before I lock in for another four years.

As a complete about face, today I drove a 335i convertible coupel First time in a decade that I drove a stick and it was a riot. In the last four years I rarely use the back seats of a sedan and the coupe does look better.... Also there is the option of a Dinan upgrade to 375hp!!

Next on the list is an Audi S5/S4, if my local dealer has them in stock.

Shane D
Shane - my opinion is that if you don't need a back seat, either the 335 or the Audi are great alternatives to the E550C. But make sure you read about the Audi S5 problems with vibrations - google it or look under another thread on here (I'll try to find it, I think it was S5 v E550C). Audi has an official statement online. The vibration occurs between 50 and 70 MPH if my memory serves me correctly and has nothing to do with the tires. Not every driver has had a problem, but just look into it for your own benefit...

The 335 is really fast and the ultimate drivers car for sure. One of my best friends has had his for a while now and loves it. Two things I think the BMW lacks -> 1) price sensibility. I priced one out with the same features as the S5/E550C: nav, sport & premium & cold weather packages, adaptive steering, automatic brights, leather, automatic, premium sound, rear sun shade, etc etc, and the price came out to about $55K. Yes this price is lower than the S5 and E550c by $5-7K but is it worth it? You could get a bareboned 335 with the sport package and miss out on the luxury and comfort items for a much better deal - which leads me to number 2) Luxury. It's the little things that I really like about the S5/E550C that the BMW just doesn't seem to have - like an intuitive and comprehensive MMII/COMAND system - like sweet gauges (E550C has a clock which I love) - like air cooled seats - etc etc.

Just my scatterbrained thoughts... for what it's worth
Old 10-24-2009, 01:02 PM

CLE53AMG
Awesome. Thanks so much for the info. I will drool over your car until I order mine!
check out my very poorly done walkaround on youtube for more drooling opportunities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4UZsFYTDpQ

i'm going to post a better video soon. i'm technologically challenged.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:33 PM

CLE53AMG
Another video. My favorite part is the 0-60 street start in about 5 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCChoTw_QV0
Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 PM

nothing right now
Shane - my opinion is that if you don't need a back seat, either the 335 or the Audi are great alternatives to the E550C. But make sure you read about the Audi S5 problems with vibrations - google it or look under another thread on here (I'll try to find it, I think it was S5 v E550C). Audi has an official statement online. The vibration occurs between 50 and 70 MPH if my memory serves me correctly and has nothing to do with the tires. Not every driver has had a problem, but just look into it for your own benefit...

I was not aware of this until I read the S5 VS E550 thread. I have never liked Audis and always thought they were the ugliest premium car out there. Until the R8. The specs on the S5/S4 look pretty good and I am determined to investigate every premium car out there in the next few weeks. I am a details guy and am compiling a big list with pros and cons on everybody.

The 335 is really fast and the ultimate drivers car for sure. One of my best friends has had his for a while now and loves it. Two things I think the BMW lacks -> 1) price sensibility. I priced one out with the same features as the S5/E550C: nav, sport & premium & cold weather packages, adaptive steering, automatic brights, leather, automatic, premium sound, rear sun shade, etc etc, and the price came out to about $55K. Yes this price is lower than the S5 and E550c by $5-7K but is it worth it? You could get a bareboned 335 with the sport package and miss out on the luxury and comfort items for a much better deal - which leads me to number 2) Luxury. It's the little things that I really like about the S5/E550C that the BMW just doesn't seem to have - like an intuitive and comprehensive MMII/COMAND system - like sweet gauges (E550C has a clock which I love) - like air cooled seats - etc etc.

Just my scatterbrained thoughts... for what it's worth
First off I have to say I am leaning really hard towards an AWD as befitting my location in the great white north. Just to give you an idea of what cars cost up here (especially on the east coast where there is NO! competition), I have included pricing as I built them online.

E550 coupe = No AWD and too short for me. Too bad as it is the MOST beautiful coupe (to me) at or below this price point. I wasn't sold online, but awesome in person. ($73,000.00)
E550 sedan = Lots of power and a high price tag. IMO second only to the Maserati Quatroporte (spelling) as a beautiful sedan. ($79,000.00)

S4 = Nice power at less than the E350 sedan price. Also I keep hearing that their interiors are awesome. ($68,000.00)
S5 = Nice looking with pretty good specs. Almost the price of a 550 with less power. Sportier? ($76,000.00)
Never driven an Audi or even sat inside one. Also no knowledge of the vibration problem.

BMW 335i Xdrive (with Dinan upgrade to 374hp). Even loaded you don't get the luxury of the above vehicles. Handles awesome and decent space in front. Loaded, except for nav but including Dinan upgrade, $64,500.00. Dealer is okay with Dinan and is actually looking at becoming yet another BMW dealer that also sells Dinan.

And the search continues....

And to get back on subject... I love your car!

Shane D
Old 10-25-2009, 01:30 PM

Shane have you been to Audi to drive the S4 and S5 yet? If not let me give you my take on these three cars if you will. All three are nice cars, the Benz is still the cruiser of the bunch while the S4 and S5 are the sports sedans. The S4 has better performance than the S5 but the S5 exterior is sex on wheels. You will have heads turning when you drive down the street in the S5. Bet you won't get this with the other two vehicles. The interior in the Audi's are definitely much better than in the Benz. Quattro is definitely the best AWD system bar none no matter what other people say. Even some of my subaru friends had to acknowledge this after comparing their subbies to my Audi. I have also had MB 4matics to compare this and the Quattro is still better. The MB with the E550 engine is definitely the best cruiser of the bunch. Smooth V8 but the S4 with a chip will likely outperform the E550. The S4 in my opinion has the weekest engine with the 4.2L V8.
Now in regards to the vibration problem with the S5/S4, S5 had many of these problems due to control arms and Audi has rectified this problem with new arms. We know that this has been fixed because as of Sept. Audi used the new control arms on the new S4/S5 builds and none of the new owners on Sept. or after builds have reported this problem. S5 and S4 owners that had a build previous to sept. builds have complained about vibration and some have had the control arms replaced but incidently they were replaced by you guessed faulty control arms because the were pre Sept. builds.
If you are not in a hurry to buy the vehicle than you can follow this vibration problem on Audizine. for a month or so and see if the problem is fixed yourself or not.
Hope this helps in your decision making as this is what I went through also when I was making my decision. As much as I admittedly hated MB (long story) even though I had three of them I still test drove the E550 because the salesman was my friend. But in the end I ended up with the S4 because it was the sportier drive of the 3 and being in Toronto I really love the Quattro and the Audi interior.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:19 PM

nothing right now
Originally Posted by rieger
Shane have you been to Audi to drive the S4 and S5 yet?

No sir and I will take all the advice I can get! That is why I come here.

If not let me give you my take on these three cars if you will. All three are nice cars, the Benz is still the cruiser of the bunch while the S4 and S5 are the sports sedans.

Drove an E350 sedan. VERY smooth ride. Handling didn't feel sharp and it was gutless at low speeds but nice on the highway.

The S4 has better performance than the S5 but the S5 exterior is sex on wheels. You will have heads turning when you drive down the street in the S5. Bet you won't get this with the other two vehicles.

The S4 has better performance with the new six? The old eight in the S5 has better numbers (about 355 VS 333).

The interior in the Audi's are definitely much better than in the Benz. Quattro is definitely the best AWD system bar none no matter what other people say. Even some of my subaru friends had to acknowledge this after comparing their subbies to my Audi. I have also had MB 4matics to compare this and the Quattro is still better.

If any of them can match/exceed my Infiniti, I will be VERY happy.

The MB with the E550 engine is definitely the best cruiser of the bunch.

I bet you are right on that but I will NEVER get to test a 550 here. Too high a price at full list, which is what I am looking at here.

Smooth V8 but the S4 with a chip will likely outperform the E550. The S4 in my opinion has the weekest engine with the 4.2L V8.

Where would you get the S4 chipped? With BMW a lot of dealers are also Dinan dealers.

Now in regards to the vibration problem with the S5/S4, S5 had many of these problems due to control arms and Audi has rectified this problem with new arms. We know that this has been fixed because as of Sept. Audi used the new control arms on the new S4/S5 builds and none of the new owners on Sept. or after builds have reported this problem. S5 and S4 owners that had a build previous to sept. builds have complained about vibration and some have had the control arms replaced but incidently they were replaced by you guessed faulty control arms because the were pre Sept. builds.
If you are not in a hurry to buy the vehicle than you can follow this vibration problem on Audizine. for a month or so and see if the problem is fixed yourself or not.

Thanks for the summary!!

Hope this helps in your decision making as this is what I went through also when I was making my decision. As much as I admittedly hated MB (long story) even though I had three of them I still test drove the E550 because the salesman was my friend. But in the end I ended up with the S4 because it was the sportier drive of the 3 and being in Toronto I really love the Quattro and the Audi interior.
I can not get a response from various e-mails to my local Audi dealer. I am also not hopeful of a local dealer having an S4 and an S5 to try out. I picture some salesman sending me out in an A4 and saying the S5 is the same thing, just fancier/faster.
IMO the S4 is a LOT better value than the E350, especially if you like some grunt. But (IMO) the Benz is SO much nicer to look at.
I am really curious about getting my hands on an Audi though. Hopefully this week. Thanks for your input!

Shane D
Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM

The S4 V6 is supercharged and does the 0-60miles in 4.9-5.1. even though the V8 has better hp the V6 has a much better torque band and torque is really more important unless you are going top speed all the time.
The Audi interiors will definitely match your Infiniti and then some. In all honesty Audi is known industry wide as the best interiors bar none no matter what any MB or BMW fanboy says. Just like BMW is the handling standard Audi is the interior standard. The S4/S5 is especially nice at night time when light up. But the quality of the textures on the switchgear is topnotch. Also the Audi AWD system is better than the infiniti. I have had driven the G35 and G37 before buying the Audi and the main difference in the AWD is that the audi one is full time while the infiniti one doesn't kick in unless it senses a little bit of slippage. I noticed this when driving it and that little bit of slippage for me was unassuring when compared to the Quattro. Since you live in Nova Scotia I would try to drive the S4/S5 when there is lots of snow on the ground and you will see what I am talking about or try it in the rain.
The S4 chip has been released by European tuners already but they are currently costly at around $3000-4000, but the American tuners are working hard at it and it should be released soon at around $600-1000. Giac and APR can be done at some dealers while others like REVO and Unitronic will probably be released at independent tuner shops.
The Chip/tune has already been released by eurotuner MTM and is capable of safely providing 430hp which translates to a 0-60miles time of 4.6 conservatively.
You are correct in the availability of the S4 and S5 because in most cases unless you luck out there would be atleast a 3 month wait.
Personally I liked the S4 looks better than the E350 looks so it was an easy choice for me as the S4 provided me power/performance and looks but I can see your dilema if you like the E350 design more.
It really comes down to if you are more into the performance aspect or the design I guess in your case.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:26 PM

nothing right now
Thumbs up

The S4 V6 is supercharged and does the 0-60miles in 4.9-5.1. even though the V8 has better hp the V6 has a much better torque band and torque is really more important unless you are going top speed all the time.

Fair enough. I thought the V8 would be faster, worse on gas and sound better.

The Audi interiors will definitely match your Infiniti and then some.

I keep hearing Audi interiors are nice. The Infiniti are really nothing special although I do like the M line. When I mentioned "match or exceed" Infiniti, I was referring to the AWD system.

Also the Audi AWD system is better than the infiniti. I have had driven the G35 and G37 before buying the Audi and the main difference in the AWD is that the audi one is full time while the infiniti one doesn't kick in unless it senses a little bit of slippage. I noticed this when driving it and that little bit of slippage for me was unassuring when compared to the Quattro.

I really like the Infiniti AWD system but then I don't know any other.

Since you live in Nova Scotia I would try to drive the S4/S5 when there is lots of snow on the ground and you will see what I am talking about or try it in the rain.

I have to make a decision before we get snow down (I hope!).

The S4 chip has been released by European tuners already but they are currently costly at around $3000-4000, but the American tuners are working hard at it and it should be released soon at around $600-1000. Giac and APR can be done at some dealers while others like REVO and Unitronic will probably be released at independent tuner shops.
The Chip/tune has already been released by eurotuner MTM and is capable of safely providing 430hp which translates to a 0-60miles time of 4.6 conservatively.

I will have to see what's available locally.

You are correct in the availability of the S4 and S5 because in most cases unless you luck out there would be at least a 3 month wait.

Unfortunately that will be the cause for a LOT of choices, especially European.

Personally I liked the S4 looks better than the E350 looks so it was an easy choice for me as the S4 provided me power/performance and looks but I can see your dilema if you like the E350 design more.
It really comes down to if you are more into the performance aspect or the design I guess in your case.
Really comes down to looks, performance and price. And how much you weight each one.

Thanks for the input!

Shane D
Old 10-25-2009, 08:04 PM

Good luck shopping and in any case which ever one you end up with will be a nice ride.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:43 PM

nothing right now
Thumbs up

Good luck shopping and in any case which ever one you end up with will be a nice ride.
It's fun looking and there really are a lot of nice cars out there.

Shane D

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E550 COUPE!