E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

US vs Europe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going for w212
Lightbulb US vs Europe/price or quality?

I`m concerned about the price of new E-class(w212) in USA comparatively to that in Europe. mbusa proposes 48,600(e350) and 56,300(e550) while in Europe we have about 52k euro (78k USD) for e350 and up to 70k euro (105k USD) for e550.
European W212 have poorer standard equipment than ones in US. Also, european w212`s optional equipment is priced in euro, what`s making the price even higher
My local dealer is telling me US w212 are way less refined, have no quality according to euro standards etc.That`s why the price is much higher by his words :\
But in USA it`s possible to buy s400 hybrid or s550 with additional options for 105k USD
Can somebody explain what`s the matter? Is that the taxes and fees?
I`ve seen at this board that the reason why US w212 are less priced than US w211 is that there are a lot of left parts...But it doesn`t justify such prices even if european w212 are completely new | i believe

upd:
-only e350 and e550 in USA(as i understand diesel version will be available next year). Europe: 200,250(diesel and petrol) and so on...
-european w212 has DI engines, but US one has port injection
-Luxury climate control not available on US w212 (reffering to mbusa)
-airmatic is not available on US e350.For european w212 - as an additional option for any non-se model, except e500 -standard

UK price list(with all additional options, trims, data...)

Last edited by Begood_mb; 10-24-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550
I have been wanting to reply to this for some time, but thought it might be better answered after I’ve have some driving experience of the W212 under my belt first.

First off, I think we have to ignore US Dollars to Euros exchange rate. Reason being that Americans are paid in Dollars and Europeans are paid in Euros. Each buys the majority of their consumables through their own currency. If we turn the clock back to when the Euro was first introduced, the US Dollar could purchase ~1.15 Euros per Dollar… I doubt if MB Germany raised the price in Euros to outpace the MB USA Dollar price. I bet it was cheaper for an American to purchase a Euro spec MB back then. This is just the cost of doing business in different countries.

I cannot speak to the build quality since I have not owed or driven a European spec W212. But, considering the fact that my US Spec W212 came off the same line, and was picked up at the same factory where the European specs were being delivered, I would say there is no differences in build quality. There are many small features that are included in the European models vs the US models and vice-versa (as you have pointed out).

IMO, of course your dealer is going to tell you that the Euro spec car is superior… He/she wants your business, right? I would ask what items specifically are “less refined.” Can’t be the engine, right? The ratings and technical data on both Euro and US spec are identical.

The biggest thing that you are going to have to figure out is if you can register a foreign car in your native country… and what it takes. The biggest problem with bringing foreign cars to the US is converting the Euro spec to US spec. Examples include the speedometer from km to mi, emissions equipment, and some manufactures have different glass ratings, which may require the replacement of all windows (although I don’t think this is as much of a problem any more). This can be VERY expensive and can outweigh the cost savings by buying foreign. Also, don’t forget about import tax.

The worst part about owning a US Spec MB here in Germany is that damn orange reflector on the front bumper. This is a US requirement and is not on the European Spec front bumpers. I do get occasional comments from my German friends about this… I need to take a page from Big Evil’s mod book and grey those puppies out!

Hope this helped. Cheers!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I cannot see how the build quality would be different either way. They all come from Sindelfingen anyway, they cannot have even a specific line for US cars.

Options and equipment are a different thing, US cars often have more "options standard" but it would be possible to build an exact equivalent Euro car (excluding those US specific differences that are not really about cost but from different regulatory requirements.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:10 AM

uno mille 1.0i 57cv 13'' wheels 135/75 - aro magnetico - rebaixado
Some other differences.

I`ve noticed that the US model does not have power folding mirrors and rear seat belt status indicator. It also does not have 3 zone air conditioning (canada model has). The door pins also look different.

But roughly it`s the same thing.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E400S4 '17
Do the European E class vehicles have aspherical side mirrors?

I sourced euro replacements for the flat driver mirror (LHS) on my MLs with the euro version where the outermost 1.5" is curved to give a wide-angle view covering the blind-spot. The curved section begins with a dotted vertical line. I much prefer them.

I have seen these mirrors on Saabs in the US, but not MBs.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
There are other minor differences but I thought the topic was about quality and price. An example is the speedtronic speed limiter (not to mention the maximum speed limiter lower than 250 km/h on many models). I believe rear door locks operate differently (US safety rules being different), the engines have minor differences because of emissions rules, Euro cars do not have the panic button at the remote key, TPMS and remote key operating frequency is different, no WB radio in Euro cars, etc. etc.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 AM
DHI

'10 ML550, 996 G T 3
Originally Posted by Begood_mb
I`m concerned about the price of new E-class(w212) in USA comparatively to that in Europe. mbusa proposes 48,600(e350) and 56,300(e550) while in Europe we have about 52k euro (78k USD) for e350 and up to 70k euro (105k USD) for e550.
European W212 have poorer standard equipment than ones in US. Also, european w212`s optional equipment is priced in euro, what`s making the price even higher
My local dealer is telling me US w212 are way less refined, have no quality according to euro standards etc.That`s why the price is much higher by his words :\
You are correct. There are significant PRICE differences in MSRP in the different countries and they do not always reflect the currency exchange situation.

In Canada you can get a loaded E550 4 matic for 80K Cdn (53k Euros!! or 75K US).

Your salesman is an idiot for saying that US Benz's are not as refined as domestic market cars.

David
Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM

going for w212
Thank you a lot, all of you! That`s what i`ve expected to hear (:
I agree with the judgment about my dealer... And buying US spec MB is really lucrative for non-residents, unless there are problems with importing, registration, legalizing etc.

Ps: I personally saw S550(it`s US\CA specification because European S 5.5 liter called S500 like E500) driving through my home town.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For the most part, pricing, equipment and many of the minor differences which are noted have to do with specific market driven issues. As for pricing, the E-Class is in a competitive set which largely defines a price "corridor" which it can be sold. Unless MB wanted to sell a lot fewer cars (which I doubt will ever be the case), they must price the cars relative to the market for a given volume. Another significant factor in the lower pricing is the Asian influence. Lexus and Infiniti are well-respected brands in the US and offer products which are very good and priced quite low. These brands are not significant players in the ECE markets and therefore have now influence on the competitive positioning of the 212. As for the DI engines, the current version used in some ECE markets will not work in the USA due to the "dirty" fuel (sulfur content). The next generation DI engines will in fact come to the US market as they are designed to work also with our fuel (albeit slightly less efficiently when compared to the ECE versions) and should provide better fuel economy compared to the port injections engines now offered. As for options, some have to do with US requirements while a few relate to the offering structure which MBNA sets-up to market the cars. The quality statement is absolutely ludicrous. Given the importance (JD Power, Consumer Reports etc.) of quality for the US market there is no way MB would ever build a car with lower quality for the US market (or any market for that matter). My guess is your dealer is trying to influence you away from considering an imported 212. Good Luck