Does it rain in Germany?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Does it rain in Germany?!?

I can't believe how much the wipers suck on this car. I picked up my 550 on Friday and we had rain on Saturday. The wipers chattered in both directions, they were quite annoying (I had the same problem on my last E550). I had to stop by the dealer for something else and I asked them to look at it, they wound up changing the blades and told me there are no other adjustments that can be made.

Well sure enough today it rained and after 20 min they started to chatter again. AAAAAAAHHHH. How can it be they can design such an otherwise great car but can't figure out how to make wipers work properly.

I wish the wipers were as good as say a chevy cobalt!!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 BMW 640ix GC (Ruby Black)
Originally Posted by emilner
I can't believe how much the wipers suck on this car. I picked up my 550 on Friday and we had rain on Saturday. The wipers chattered in both directions, they were quite annoying (I had the same problem on my last E550). I had to stop by the dealer for something else and I asked them to look at it, they wound up changing the blades and told me there are no other adjustments that can be made.

Well sure enough today it rained and after 20 min they started to chatter again. AAAAAAAHHHH. How can it be they can design such an otherwise great car but can't figure out how to make wipers work properly.

I wish the wipers were as good as say a chevy cobalt!!
I guess if you've got one of these babies in Germany you can afford to hire someone to hang on to the outside of the car and wipe your window with cotton as you drive.

You may have thought of this but, just in case, is it possible there's a coating on the glass (perhaps for shipping purposes) that they forget or neglected to clean off? Sometimes vinegar will do the trick. Just a thought.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Spray some window washing fluid. It will act as a lubricant to prevent the rubber going "chop chop chop" and squeaking on your windshield.

The window wipers are actually extremely advanced in these vehicles. They even change their angle of attack every few wipes!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Wig

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W213, C238
I had the same problem on my C350 for a few weeks, but then the blades worked perfectly. I guess the wiper blades need time to 'break in'.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
A lot of cars aren't prepped quite right from the dealer, and only so much is done at the VPC. Plus after the VPC, the car can sit for a while, too.

Try claying the windshield (it sounds weird but I've done it on some of my cars that chattered and it works.) Lots of contaminants can collect on the windshield (shipping, VPC, dealer, etc..)

Check here for instructions: http://www.properautocare.com/howtostwibls.html

Also 303 windshield wipes work pretty well if it ever happens again (and it will over time.)
Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Thanks, I will try.

I almost lost my martini when I heard the "extremely advanced" comment
In my book, no matter how complicated you make something, if it doesn't work as well as the basic design it's a step backwards...
Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Thanks, I will try.

I almost lost my martini when I heard the "extremely advanced" comment
In my book, no matter how complicated you make something, if it doesn't work as well as the basic design it's a step backwards...

My rain-sensing wipers are a great little tech goodie that I can brag about, but considering they go off sometimes out of nowhere, and smear dirt all over my windows, I don't mind "keeping it simple" and doing the all so hard task of flipping the stock myself when some rain starts coming down.

If I do remember correctly though, in its defense, it does adjust its speed, etc. according to the rain-fall, which actually is very helpful and appreciated.

BTW, I've always applied your last line to the SBC braking system on my car. Sure in actuality it's extremely advanced, in essence superior to conventional systems, etc. But the mere risk of any failure and unreliability make it a big step backwards, especially on something as life-saving or potentially detrimental as a braking system.

Last edited by K-A; 10-27-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Originally Posted by K-A

BTW, I've always applied your last line to the SBC braking system on my car. Sure in actuality it's extremely advanced, in essence superior to conventional systems, etc. But the mere risk of any failure and unreliability make it a big step backwards, especially on something as life-saving or potentially detrimental as a braking system.
I put the LS600 in that same category. Almost identical speed and mileage as the 460L but way more complicated.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
...they wound up changing the blades and told me there are no other adjustments that can be made.
I had the same chattering wiper blade problem on my GLK. And my dealer also changed the blades...not just the inserts but the entire wiper blade assembly. Seems to have solved the problem on my vehicle.

But another GLK owner told me he clayed his windshield as previously mentioned and followed up with a Rain-X treatment. Problem solved w/o a trip to his dealer.