MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   HOLD function (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/324179-hold-function.html)

dmikim 11-03-2009 05:29 PM

HOLD function

Hi Everybody!

I got my E350 yesterday, and I found the HOLD function description in the manual, unfortunately I couldn't activate it today.

Does anyone know if "HOLD" function is a part of "distronic plus" or this just a standard function? If it is a standard what should I do to activate it?

Thank you!
Dmitriy Kim
Proud owner of E350W

MOZART 11-03-2009 07:35 PM

I've tried it too and it didn't work. I even asked my salesperson about it, and needles to say he had no clue what I was talking about.

AJRDU 11-03-2009 08:19 PM

Come to a complete stop as normal with normal brake pedal pressure. without taking your foot of the pedal, press it down harder. you'll need to press it down with a swift firm motion. Don't try to slowly increase the pressure. Mine works very well and I use it all the time. (W207 coupe)

dmikim 11-03-2009 08:28 PM

Thanks a lot, I'll try it this way.

Diesel Benz 11-04-2009 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by dmikim (Post 3794561)
Hi Everybody!

I got my E350 yesterday, and I found the HOLD function description in the manual, unfortunately I couldn't activate it today.

Does anyone know if "HOLD" function is a part of "distronic plus" or this just a standard function? If it is a standard what should I do to activate it?

It isn't any Distronic related feature. I had this already on a late 2003 European W211. It used to be disabled from US cars but I've understood it would be included with W212 and C207 (probably some other models too).

Works like described in a previous post above.

Steel.Grey.MB 11-05-2009 08:13 AM

Tried it out and it works really great. But I don't know if I feel comfortable relying on it....I kinda like my foot on the brake pedal. Security thing IMO.:)

2010 E550 11-09-2009 12:08 PM

"hold" brake function

like the others say......once stopped press hard on brake pedal once & it should be activated......to release do the same....it works great on hills....uphill or downhill ........

Diesel Benz 11-09-2009 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 E550 (Post 3803187)
like the others say......once stopped press hard on brake pedal once & it should be activated......to release do the same....it works great on hills....uphill or downhill ........

You can release it also by simply pressing the gas pedal. At my 221 I can also use the cruise control lever, I guess it must be the same with the 212 (I admit I don't remember how it works with the 212 without Distronic Plus).

MJ50 11-20-2009 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 3795288)
It isn't any Distronic related feature. I had this already on a late 2003 European W211. It used to be disabled from US cars but I've understood it would be included with W212 and C207 (probably some other models too).

sweet... i'll dig up SDS and see if i can enable it... :y

urceyes 11-25-2009 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by dmikim (Post 3794561)

No, It's not part of the distronic plus function as i dont have it on mine but still able to use the HOLD function.

Originally Posted by Steel.Grey.MB (Post 3797253)
Tried it out and it works really great. But I don't know if I feel comfortable relying on it....I kinda like my foot on the brake pedal. Security thing IMO.:)

Well ...... I had the same feeling as yours at the beginning but now i use it all the time. Great function ~!:y

El Cid 11-25-2009 10:13 AM

Hill Holder?

Is this what they used to call a hill holder for the brake? Got my E this past week-end and it does have a hill holder. Read the manual, but it is not real clear to me.
One thing I noticed was that if you use automatic car wash that pulls the car through, you have to turn off the Hold by pressing accelerator. Is this really true? I'm sure the guys in the places I use are going to drive it up to the end, stop it, put it in neutral and get out.

Thanks,

dmikim 11-25-2009 12:16 PM

I think the hill holder is not the same as HOLD function. Hill holder comes with distronic plus.If you use automatic wash you just need to shift to "N". If you had HOLD pressed than you have to deactivate it (I think it will automatically go off whern you will shift to "N")

highroller550 11-25-2009 03:00 PM

i dont see the point of it. when will you really use it. why not just put the car in park.

Rowrbazzle 11-25-2009 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by highroller550 (Post 3825436)
i dont see the point of it. when will you really use it. why not just put the car in park.

It's the same effect, but you don't have to shift in and out of park each time you stop (admittedly, that's only a push of a button in this car). Just put on the brake and go all the way down, then when the light turns green hit the gas and go. I've actually found myself using the feature very frequently.

highroller550 11-25-2009 05:38 PM

well im going to try it, i still think its pointless.

emilner 11-25-2009 06:07 PM

It is one of the best features! Its great coming to a stop and being able to keep the car stopped w/o having to shift into park. It's really great when your tired and you want to relax your leg for a minute...

451/443=EW 11-25-2009 06:40 PM

I think some guys are confused here. The HOLD function is not ment to replace putting your car into park. It is ment for use on hills while waiting for a green light so you dont have to keep you foot on the break. You can simply relax and when the light turns green just hit the gas and go! So all this talk of putting your car in park has me :confused: I hope you guys dont put you car into park while waiting for lights to change. :smash:

pmb600 11-26-2009 12:51 AM

The first times that I tried the HOLD function I had trouble getting it to work myself. The only thing I can say is keep trying it until you get it. Once you get it to work, you will be asking yourself how you didn't get it all along.

HB230 11-26-2009 06:39 PM

I also noticed the brake light stays on while the car is in HOLD. Much safer than putting the car in park.