E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Better Daily Driver - New Maxima,TL,G35 sedan..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550.. Gone but never forgotton - E63 AMG..
Better Daily Driver - New Maxima,TL,G35 sedan..

Overall I think the looks of the new Maxima are very good looking. Leaning towards it. Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I had an '05 Maxima before my W220 and before I totaled it, literally drove it about 1K miles a week, never washed it, etc., and it was amazing.

I was ASTONISHED at how good the pricing is on the new Maxima for slightly Used models, I think it's the best buy out there. And I agree, very good looking car, especially for its price point. I know this gets thrown around a lot, but the term "looks like a car far more expensive than it" really is the case with it. Up close you'll notice some cheap materials and workmanship here and there which let you know it's still a Nissan, however, overall great car, comfortable, and actually a looker and fun/athletic to boot.

TL I think is the ugliest Sedan out there, unless you're talking about the previous model I wouldn't be caught in that thing.

G35 actually is actually one of my favorite current Sedan designs. I would assume you're talking about a Used one as it's obviously more expensive than the Maxima, but if we're talking about the newest iteration, I'd probably lean towards that.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 E550 Cabriolet
I drove one of the 1st new Maxima's my local dealer got in the summer of 2008 as I really liked the body style was looking to buy it for my wife. While driving I found I didn't like the CVS transmission. I like to hear/feel my car shift. Also build quality and materials seemed cheap on the interior. I did however like the cooled seats as it was about 85 - 90 deg on the day I test drove it.

I then went to my local Infiniti dealer and drove the G35. Let me tell you it was a day and night difference. Infiniti handled better, felt more powerful and better planted on the road. DS Trans and wheel mounted paddle shifters on the sport model are a lot of fun too. Mind you it's no Benz but a very nice daily driver. Bought an 08 G35xS with Premium, Nav & Sport pkgs last July and haven't regretted it. It actually has some nicer features like rear view camera, the iPod display and function, thigh extension (sport model) than my 05 CLK. From what I read on the G35/G37 forums the new G37 has a 330hp and 7 speed trans which they say gives the car about 25mpg hwy if you keep it at 70mph or below. Body style and interior are the same between 08 and 09. Suggest you check Edmunds.com for current incentives.

Can't speak to the TL as I was never interested in that car.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550.. Gone but never forgotton - E63 AMG..
Originally Posted by K-A
I had an '05 Maxima before my W220 and before I totaled it, literally drove it about 1K miles a week, never washed it, etc., and it was amazing.

I was ASTONISHED at how good the pricing is on the new Maxima for slightly Used models, I think it's the best buy out there. And I agree, very good looking car, especially for its price point. I know this gets thrown around a lot, but the term "looks like a car far more expensive than it" really is the case with it. Up close you'll notice some cheap materials and workmanship here and there which let you know it's still a Nissan, however, overall great car, comfortable, and actually a looker and fun/athletic to boot.

TL I think is the ugliest Sedan out there, unless you're talking about the previous model I wouldn't be caught in that thing.

G35 actually is actually one of my favorite current Sedan designs. I would assume you're talking about a Used one as it's obviously more expensive than the Maxima, but if we're talking about the newest iteration, I'd probably lean towards that.
A buddy of mines has an 05 Maxima with over 100,000 miles and it just runs better and better. Japanese built engines that last.
Yeah something about the exterior of the new Maxima, I think its by far the best looking Maxima Nissan has ever built. Gonna look into a slightly used one.

Yes the current TL is Horrid. The previous model is an attractive car with nice interior. Can prb pick up an 08 with low miles for a good price.

The G35 is very BMW like, nice looking car and has always been praised by car n driver. We,ll see.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by ESIX3POWER
Overall I think the looks of the new Maxima are very good looking. Leaning towards it. Thoughts?
I agree with you...I like the new look of the Maxima. The TL looks just seems to annoy me to no end while the G35 is ok. The Maxima seems to be a better value for a daily driver...

Good luck...back in the day I had these daily drivers...all of them are fantastic for racking up miles and just beating the crap out of them...

Honda Civic (when I had a 1996 M3)...I beat the crap out of that car...
Ford Focus (with the 2001 CLK430)...that car handled great...
Cadillac Deville (now with the E55/SL65)...floats like a boat and handles a small family...
Old 12-02-2009, 02:39 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by ESIX3POWER
A buddy of mines has an 05 Maxima with over 100,000 miles and it just runs better and better. Japanese built engines that last.
Yeah something about the exterior of the new Maxima, I think its by far the best looking Maxima Nissan has ever built. Gonna look into a slightly used one.

Yes the current TL is Horrid. The previous model is an attractive car with nice interior. Can prb pick up an 08 with low miles for a good price.

The G35 is very BMW like, nice looking car and has always been praised by car n driver. We,ll see.
Nice, yeah, I was thinking of picking one up a month or so ago (new Maxima, slightly Used), and I swear I saw prices for low loww $20's.

Yeah, Nissan made it very clear that they wanted to bring back the spirit of the old Maxima's with this one, bringing back that old "4DSC" or whatever it says sticker on the little back window ("4 Door Sports Car"). Reviews say it's very fun to drive, will actually be a nice departure from the E I'd think, not as comfy, but a bit more sporty, etc. My friend who owns a new GTR had one as a Loaner, said it was very nice and pretty Luxurious.

The last body style TL is a great design actually, I think it's one of the very very rare timeless Japanese designs. My friend has an '08 and loves it, still looks like a brand newly designed car. Nice and Luxurious, I'm sure quite a bit more than the Maxima.

Yeah the G's are great, endlessly praised and really seem to have a grasp on the BMW formula. I think Infinite is really on its way to becoming a true and respected competitor to the Germans, especially since Nissan is really coming up with its new models.