Tilt Down mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Tilt Down mirror

Apparently the W212 has a tilt down mirror feature on the passenger side, but M-B calls it exterior rear view mirror parking position on page 95 of my Operator's Manual. Per page 96, I interpreted it that it would only function if I "Called it up."
Since it appears to be on demand, so to speak, I set it. Now it happens every time I put the car in reverse.
Anyone using this feature or had any experience with it?
Can it be turned off? e-mailed MBUSA, but no response yet.

Really don't like tilt down mirrors as I do a lot of backing up, but never into a parking space or to parallel park. Well, maybe once every 4-5 years. Also, with the rear view camera I can see to back up fine.
Seems it places a lot of wear on the mirror motor.
Thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by El Cid
Apparently the W212 has a tilt down mirror feature on the passenger side, but M-B calls it exterior rear view mirror parking position on page 95 of my Operator's Manual. Per page 96, I interpreted it that it would only function if I "Called it up."
Since it appears to be on demand, so to speak, I set it. Now it happens every time I put the car in reverse.
Anyone using this feature or had any experience with it?
Can it be turned off? e-mailed MBUSA, but no response yet.
Put your car in " R " gear, wait till the mirror tilts down and then adjust it manually back. It memorizes last position and uses it for next time you put in "R". I think it should work.

GL.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Just push the mirror adjust button to the drivers side mirror and it will be deactivated. This button must be on the pass side mirror position for the tilt down to operate. I really like this feature, find it very helpful and used it all the time in my W211 and all of my ML's. It had been decontented but was put back in due to I think customer complaints about the decontenting.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sosh
Just push the mirror adjust button to the drivers side mirror and it will be deactivated. This button must be on the pass side mirror position for the tilt down to operate. I really like this feature, find it very helpful and used it all the time in my W211 and all of my ML's. It had been decontented but was put back in due to I think customer complaints about the decontenting.
On mine, there is no button to push to choose between driver or passenger side. There are separate buttons for the driver side and passenger side. If you push one of these in, within about a minute it automatically cycles off and you can no loner adjust the mirror unless you push the button again.
I did use the set up procedure and then hit the memory button and then programmed the tilt down. Now it does not move since I am the only one who drives the car.
Thanks.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mirror adjustment button on the drivers door, if left pointing to the passanger mirror, will activate the "tilt down" feature when the car is in reverse.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350W
just adjust it the way you want it to be during the reverse and it will remember your last adjustments. If you don't want it to tilt down, adjust it on the regular level.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chairman
The mirror adjustment button on the drivers door, if left pointing to the passanger mirror, will activate the "tilt down" feature when the car is in reverse.
Maybe mine is different, but there is no button to push toward passenger or driver's side. My previous cars were like this, but 2010 E350 has separate buttons for passenger and drivers side.
Thanks for the help from all of you. I think I have it solved as far as not changing from my mirror settings, but was hoping to be able to "disable" it as you can with several other features of the car.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by El Cid
On mine, there is no button to push to choose between driver or passenger side. There are separate buttons for the driver side and passenger side. If you push one of these in, within about a minute it automatically cycles off and you can no loner adjust the mirror unless you push the button again.
I did use the set up procedure and then hit the memory button and then programmed the tilt down. Now it does not move since I am the only one who drives the car.
Thanks.

If the last push of the mirror select button was the driver's side mirror the tilt down will be deactivated. This is even though the light is out and the mirror will not adjust.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sosh
If the last push of the mirror select button was the driver's side mirror the tilt down will be deactivated. This is even though the light is out and the mirror will not adjust.
Thanks. You are correct. MBUSA called me today and explained the same thing, tried it and appears to work that way. Actually have not tried to call up the tilt down, but it didn't move when I put it in reverse after setting the tilt down.
BTW, I go to the MBUSA owner's website, e-mail them my questions and they usually call me with a response. Could call, but e-mail gives them time to research the questions before calling.