First Mercedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 942 Likes on 688 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by 220S
Some of us are actual car enthusiasts and don't buy cars just to have the latest thing on the block. It's meaningless to a real car enthusiast; we buy the car we want, whether it's 15 years old or brand new.
+1
Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
Originally Posted by blazeone
Blah ,blah, blah. Don't compare a 211 to a classic car
Thanks. You proved my point.

(i.e., you have nothing constructive to say)
I think he has a point, though. Bringing up an old/classic Porsche as support for your purchase of a recent E-Class (even an AMG) seems like a bit of a stretch.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rowrbazzle
I think he has a point, though. Bringing up an old/classic Porsche as support for your purchase of a recent E-Class (even an AMG) seems like a bit of a stretch.
fwiw, it wasn't mentioned as support for my purchasing the last of the W211 AMG. And as MB owners and enthusiasts this has nothing to do with "envy." That's a pretty juvenile thing to say. We're enthusiasts of all makes and we buy what suits us at any given moment whether it's new or old, a classic or not a classic. Porsche, BMW, Audi, or MB. What I was pointing out is that we were lamenting the fact that MB decontented the new E63. And so that means I'm jealous of the W212?

Blazeone saying I'm envious because my car is dated is absurd and meaningless, esp since I bought it specifically as a W211 when the new W212 was already here. Not at all as a potential collector car (hey, it's my daily driver) but because I actually like the design and interior. I drive it everyday and will drive it until it stops running.

So, no implication on my part at all about it being collectible, although earlier AMGs (C36, C43, etc.) have become desirable. Unlike the regular E Class, the E63 AMGs are limited with only 1,068 sold in the US in 2008 (the 2009 figures aren't out yet.) But my point with the Porsche is that "dated" is subjective. I like a lot of the older models of BMWs and Ferraris but some people like the very new only (and they want one mainly just for the name and nothing to do with the specific model or its history.)

Anyway, the main point is that we should be able to be critical of our own brand. All cars have their shortcomings. If I say the E60 is ugly or an under-performer, does that automatically make me envious of them because I chose not to buy one? Sorry, but that's just plain stupid.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 AM

2010 E350
The title to the thread is "first Merecedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350". The poster is very happy with his new MB but a couple of you 211 owners have nothing better to do than post your "why the 211 is better BS".

Nobody cares in this forum, go back to the 211 forum. I'm sure if 212 owners posted in the 211 forum about all of the 212 advances in styling, handling and technology they would be received just as well.

Last edited by blazeone; 01-18-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The title to the thread is "first Merecedes... VERY impressed - 2010 E350". The poster is very happy with his new MB but a couple of you 211 owners have nothing better to do than post your "why the 211 is better BS".

No buddy cares in this forum, go back to the 211 forum. I'm sure if 212 owners posted in the 211 forum about all of the 212 advances in styling, handling and technology they would be received just as well.

Cry us a river. It was all civil here until you came along. Someone was simply passing along info to the O/P about the car he was looking to buy, which O/P said he didn't mind. Nobody was ******* his car. Everything we've stated is factual and not even subjective, like your 212 having "advanced styling" comment is.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 AM

2010 E350
fwiw, it wasn't mentioned as support for my purchasing the last of the W211 AMG... But my point with the Porsche is that "dated" is subjective. I like a lot of the older models of BMWs and Ferraris but some people like the very new only (and they want one mainly just for the name and nothing to do with the specific model or its history.)
Yeah, I wasn't really sure what you were trying to say with the Porsche - whether it was support or comparison or just an example. Guess it was the latter. Still seems like a bit of a stretch - invoking a pretty extreme example of an old model not looking dated. But, you know, whatever.

Anyway, the main point is that we should be able to be critical of our own brand. All cars have their shortcomings. If I say the E60 is ugly or an under-performer, does that automatically make me envious of them because I chose not to buy one?
I can't argue with that. But surely there's a limit. Maybe it's normal on these type of boards for owners of older models to point out shortcomings in the newer model, though. I dunno. I haven't been here very long. When the 211 came out did the 210 owners spend months pointing out the 211's shortcomings?

I'd be interested to know what exactly it was that lead you to the 211 AMG instead of the 212 AMG. Some of the shortcomings you've pointed out have seemed (I could be wrong) to be recent revelations - interior materials, for example. Was it mainly the exterior styling? I'm sure you've given this information before, but I'm feeling lazy and don't want to read through all your old posts. haha
Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No buddy cares in this forum, go back to the 211 forum. I'm sure if 212 owners posted in the 211 forum about all of the 212 advances in styling, handling and technology they would be received just as well.
Sorry but if you had the patience to actually read this thread, you'd see that we all congratulated him. However, he asked about possibly selling his BMW and picking up a E63. That's when we discussed the choices. And IPP was generous enough to actually take some photos of a ROW E63. And then we all discussed options now available or not available in the US.

We (at least me) learned a LOT from this thread. So take your head out of the sand. "No buddy [sic] cares in this forum" is BS in itself. And all the W212 info is appreciated on the W211 forums, too. We all care about these cars and share info together. Quit being a useless jacka** about it, and maybe contribute something worthwhile yourself.

Last edited by 220S; 01-18-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:13 PM

'10 E350 Sport
Hey folks... it's probably my fault for hijacking my own thread in talking about the E63 AMG variant as a possible replacement for my M Coupe.

The beauty of all of this is is that we have a choice. The debate can go on and on about the merits of 212 v 211. I just happen to have been a late bloomer in getting on the MB bandwagon. I wasted my time with 3 Lexus, 3 BMW, a Prius, an MDX, a Range Rover, an S2000, and the list goes on in between.

It is interesting though that with the comparisons made there is a factual difference in materials used between the E's. That's a good thing; did MB use the "savings" towards allowing the E to have the same S-grade technologies? Who knows...

All I know is that my wife is a happy camper with her car and that's all that matters to me. It's been raining over here in SoCal and she uses her Distronic exclusively. It helps her focus on navigating the rainy weather. And for those of you in the East Coast or with a true 4 seasons, props to you for bearing a drive in that weather 3+ months out of the year!

Now onto the "debate" of sorts.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rowrbazzle
I'd be interested to know what exactly it was that lead you to the 211 AMG instead of the 212 AMG. Some of the shortcomings you've pointed out have seemed (I could be wrong) to be recent revelations - interior materials, for example. Was it mainly the exterior styling? I'm sure you've given this information before, but I'm feeling lazy and don't want to read through all your old posts. haha
Rowrbazzle, sent you a PM with the answer to your (very legit) question. Check your mail....

Cheers.

p.s., in response to whether owners of older MBs have expressed the shortcomings of new models; the answer is a big YES. You need to research the archives. The debate over the E55 and the new (2007) E63 was huge and hasn't ended yet. It's normal to expect a big improvement with each new model but then put it under the microscope. Check the BMW and Porsche forums, same thing: 993 vs 996 versus 997, etc..

Last edited by 220S; 01-18-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mava350
Hey folks... it's probably my fault for hijacking my own thread in talking about the E63 AMG variant as a possible replacement for my M Coupe.

The beauty of all of this is is that we have a choice. The debate can go on and on about the merits of 212 v 211. I just happen to have been a late bloomer in getting on the MB bandwagon. I wasted my time with 3 Lexus, 3 BMW, a Prius, an MDX, a Range Rover, an S2000, and the list goes on in between.

It is interesting though that with the comparisons made there is a factual difference in materials used between the E's. That's a good thing; did MB use the "savings" towards allowing the E to have the same S-grade technologies? Who knows...

All I know is that my wife is a happy camper with her car and that's all that matters to me. It's been raining over here in SoCal and she uses her Distronic exclusively. It helps her focus on navigating the rainy weather. And for those of you in the East Coast or with a true 4 seasons, props to you for bearing a drive in that weather 3+ months out of the year!

Now onto the "debate" of sorts.
+1

Information is power. And this forum is a gold mine. Objective, subjective, it doesn't matter. Having a forum for exchange is a nice luxury.

Yeah, these storms are some big ones. The most rain since 2005 apparently. Be happy she's in the MB; very safe cars and well built. Tell her the car nuts on MBWorld give her a thumb's up on her choice of car and happy motoring.