DLR at night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350W
DLR at night

Hi!
I have regular non LED fog lights on my w212 (4 pcs). Is there any way I can keep the DLR on at night without turning on the front fog lights?

looking forward to your suggestions.

thank you!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally Posted by dmikim
Hi!
I have regular non LED fog lights on my w212 (4 pcs). Is there any way I can keep the DLR on at night without turning on the front fog lights?

looking forward to your suggestions.

thank you!
I have the same 2 fog and 2 DRL's. My understanding is that when the headlights come on-and they will-the DRL's go off. Parked in front of closed business with large window at night and played with the light swtich settings. I think the DRL's went off when the headlights came on, whether on A, O(ff) or the headlight on setting. Didn't try turning on the fog lights though.
Don't think turning the fogs on will turn on the DRL's. Can't turn fogs on unless headlights ON switch is used to turn the headlights on. M-B theory is that if you need headlights, you should not be using DRL's so they want let you.
However, the illustration for the light control switch in my Operator's Manual does not match the switch in my car with an 11/09 build date. You have to pull out on the switch for the fog lights.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 PM

E350W
I knew how to turn on the fog lights, but if I pull the switch, my lights will be on during the day. So I'm gonna ask a service manager in the dealership if he can change the programm for DLR.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E430 4MATIC
I'm not familiar with the lighting on a W212 but the factory is not allowed to wire a car so that more than 4 forward facing white lights illuminate on any setting. That's why your fogs go off when the brights go on. DRLs would make a total of six lights if you ran your headlights and fogs at the same time, so MB can't wire the car that way.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Figuero
I'm not familiar with the lighting on a W212 but the factory is not allowed to wire a car so that more than 4 forward facing white lights illuminate on any setting. That's why your fogs go off when the brights go on. DRLs would make a total of six lights if you ran your headlights and fogs at the same time, so MB can't wire the car that way.
When you flash your brights and hold the stalk there all the lamps (including the fogs) will stay on
Old 01-18-2010, 06:27 AM
OAG

E350 LUX 4M P2 D+
In the USA I believe most states (maybe federal too) limit the total lights on for a normal passenger car, in the front, to no more than 6, so when the hi-beams come on some thing has to go off. May want to double check that with the State Troopers or local police department.