E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Garage door w/ Rolling Code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 Sedan; Sold 2000 S500
Garage door w/ Rolling Code

I'm have not been able to get the garage door transmitter in the car to synchronize with my rolling code garage door opener. I have never gotten it to program so I'm not having the issue other posters have about it losing the programming over time. I've tried the process in the manual of holding the opener below the rear view mirror and it didn't work. The manual mentions synchronizing the transmitter with the opener when it uses rolling codes (which I know my opener does). I press the red button on the opener, get the solid light on the opener, then I press the button on the rear view mirror and it should cause the light on the opener to flash but it does not. Also, I have cleared the programming before trying the process. Can someone who has successfully gotten a rolling garage door programmed in please tell me the procedure you used? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by Philco
I'm have not been able to get the garage door transmitter in the car to synchronize with my rolling code garage door opener. I have never gotten it to program so I'm not having the issue other posters have about it losing the programming over time. I've tried the process in the manual of holding the opener below the rear view mirror and it didn't work. The manual mentions synchronizing the transmitter with the opener when it uses rolling codes (which I know my opener does). I press the red button on the opener, get the solid light on the opener, then I press the button on the rear view mirror and it should cause the light on the opener to flash but it does not. Also, I have cleared the programming before trying the process. Can someone who has successfully gotten a rolling garage door programmed in please tell me the procedure you used? Thanks!
You've probably done it, but make sure you press the button on the mirror 3 times for about 2 seconds each after you've hit the learn button on the overhead door opener.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 PM

W203-4M W163
The system works perfectly on both of my Mercedes--two cars, double garage, both cars are programmed to open either door. I hit the "search/learn" button on the garage door opener, then quickly (30 seconds) get to the car and press the appropriate button on the rear view mirror and hold for 2 seconds twice. I remember the manual saying that some require you to hold it down three times for the rolling codes.

The buttons in one of my cars are in a slightly different place than the other. One set (2006) is on the rear view mirror, the other (2000) is in the console above the rear view mirror, so make sure you've got the right set of buttons.

I've had the problem of it losing the code occasionally, but the fix is so easy, that it's really not an issue. It's great not having those ugly garage door opener clickers clipped to my sun visor or laying on the passenger seat.

Good luck--I hope it works for you!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the help! I guess I was holding the button too long. It programmed successfully after the 1st 2 second button press.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Well...I spoke too early! Since that button went so easy, I decided to program one of the other buttons for a different garage door. The 2nd button wouldn't program using the procedure above. At one point, i accidentally pressed the first button and it somehow got programmed to open and close both doors at the same time! I reset the button programming (by holding the 1st and 3rd buttons for 20 seconds until the light flashes fast). Now I can't program the first button any longer using the same method. So, back to square one.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by Philco
Well...I spoke too early! Since that button went so easy, I decided to program one of the other buttons for a different garage door. The 2nd button wouldn't program using the procedure above. At one point, i accidentally pressed the first button and it somehow got programmed to open and close both doors at the same time! I reset the button programming (by holding the 1st and 3rd buttons for 20 seconds until the light flashes fast). Now I can't program the first button any longer using the same method. So, back to square one.
the friggin' things can be maddening that's for sure. try the 1-3 reset again only hold it for at least 30 seconds. Then use a different opener to program if you've got one. Who know's why buy I've had that work.

The only ones I've had work consistently are in the American cars.

And another thing; for some reason my Benzes have to be very close for the opener to work the gate or the door. The stupid Jeep I have with Homelink opens them from 3x the range.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
And another thing; for some reason my Benzes have to be very close for the opener to work the gate or the door. The stupid Jeep I have with Homelink opens them from 3x the range.
Mine is weather related--the colder it gets, the closer I need to be to the door for it to open. In the summer it opens from half a block away, winter I need to be within 15 feet of the door for it to open.

I always thought it was an issue with the opener, not Homelink. My wife's Benz doesn't have that problem and it's the same garage, different stall, same make and model of garage door opener.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Well, I figured out what I was doing wrong. The first problem was I had misplaced my paper manual and was using the online manual. The online manual doesn't give much detail for programming the rolling code garage opener. After finding and reading the section in my paper manual, I realized I wasn't programming w/ the handheld remote first before doing the training w/ the opener. Thanks to everyone who posted help!
Old 10-20-2016, 07:40 PM

2012 SL63 AMG
I know this is an old thread, but it solved my problem. Thank you Philco!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
Yes, an old thread. There's also an MB video of the programming sequence which is super easy to follow. I literally watched the video on my phone and a moment later all was done. Hardest part was climbing the ladder to push the learn button on the opener
Old 10-20-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Newer Liftmasters have a "learn" button on the wall mount. Got it to program my car once. Couldn't make it work again.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:36 AM

2012 SL63 AMG
I don't know if this pertains to you, but the key for my success was Philco stating that BEFORE you do the 2 sec x 2 button push in the user manual, you FIRST use the remote to "program" the button you want in the same manner you do non-rolling code buttons as described in the manual (i.e., hold the button for 20 secs, etc)