E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Thinking of trading up from C to E!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350
Thinking of trading up from C to E!

Hello, I leased one of the first C350's in my neighborhood in 2008. My lease is up in 09/2010. But I can get out of it a little earlier with loyalty program. Naturally I am thinking E class since I love the styling and the interior. But I always thought C350 was not quick enough. I am pretty hard on the gas off the line, so I can't imagine being satisfied with the E350. But I just read on this forum that the E's will get new motors. Is this really true? Then I'll wait until the new motors come in. I want minimum 300 horses with the E. And I don't know if I'll get the 4matic. I always drove RWD cars, even in snow, and I'd think the E would be better in snow than the C, since it's heavier. I would get the 4matic if it doesn't take away too much from performance and the fuel economy.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by Murray Woo
Hello, I leased one of the first C350's in my neighborhood in 2008. My lease is up in 09/2010. But I can get out of it a little earlier with loyalty program. Naturally I am thinking E class since I love the styling and the interior. But I always thought C350 was not quick enough. I am pretty hard on the gas off the line, so I can't imagine being satisfied with the E350. But I just read on this forum that the E's will get new motors. Is this really true? Then I'll wait until the new motors come in. I want minimum 300 horses with the E. And I don't know if I'll get the 4matic. I always drove RWD cars, even in snow, and I'd think the E would be better in snow than the C, since it's heavier. I would get the 4matic if it doesn't take away too much from performance and the fuel economy.
I'd say go with the RWD and simply buy a good set of snow tires for the winter months. The price of the tires would probably be less than adding the 4matic package ! I have 4matic as well but the next ride i just plan on staying with the RWD route since it also really doesnt snow that much in the NY/NJ area. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I live in NY..used to have RWD, now got 4Matic.
My suggestion - stay with RWD...with 4Matic - yes, it's fun 3 snowy days a year...after that - you lose more than you find. More gas usage, less power. I'd say - if you wanna get 4Matic - get 550, if 350 - get RWD.
Anyway - good luck.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Snow tires mounted on wheels will cost you approximately $1200.00. If you are leasing the car your cost is only the depreciation factor of the option price for 4Matic.. You also save the annual installation cost and storage. At my dealer that is $150.00 every Fall and Spring. IMO I would go with 4Matic.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
rumors put the new engines out for 2011 MY but I still think it's gonna take another year, but who knows

C350 not fast enough? ya, you won't be happy with the E350 then. IMO though, I got a C350 loaner once and that thing was quick for me (coming from a E320). the C300 was pretty slow (no offense to anyone), but again better than the 07 C230 we had with a 2.5L V6 with 200hp

i can't comment about the snow thing, but all i can say is i have a yukon xl denali with AWD, and man i wish i had RWD cause the gas is just a killer.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by petee1997
Snow tires mounted on wheels will cost you approximately $1200.00. If you are leasing the car your cost is only the depreciation factor of the option price for 4Matic.. You also save the annual installation cost and storage. At my dealer that is $150.00 every Fall and Spring. IMO I would go with 4Matic.
IMO, if good winter handling is what you are looking for, get both. If you are just choosing one, with no doubt, pick good snow tires. You have no help at all from AWD when you are breaking or turning.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by ipp
IMO, if good winter handling is what you are looking for, get both. If you are just choosing one, with no doubt, pick good snow tires. You have no help at all from AWD when you are breaking or turning.

I don't agree. I live in a city with an average of 9' of snow per winter. My car is equipped with all season tires and 4Matic. The car performs very well. In a place like NY state, that is all that is required. I think the OP is from Queens. I don't think he sees much snow most Winters.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:48 PM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by petee1997
I don't agree. I live in a city with an average of 9' of snow per winter. My car is equipped with all season tires and 4Matic. The car performs very well. In a place like NY state, that is all that is required. I think the OP is from Queens. I don't think he sees much snow most Winters.
All season tires doesn't belong on performance cars as MB. They are not good at anything. In Europe they are not by law allowed on winter roads.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by ipp
All season tires doesn't belong on performance cars as MB. They are not good at anything. In Europe they are not by law allowed on winter roads.
We have no "winter roads" in NYC. RWD is enough unless you scared of any white stuff ( like my wife ) coming from above ....
Old 01-31-2010, 04:22 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by aeggroup
We have no "winter roads" in NYC. RWD is enough unless you scared of any white stuff ( like my wife ) coming from above ....
I've spun my wife's RWD BMW with winter tires on while taking a turn. With my 4matic and all season tires on the car feels like its on rails. For me 4matic is a must while I live in the North East. 4matic also saved my butt a few times while hydroplaning in the rain.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM

E550 (W212) 2010
Can someone post what is the variance if average annual gas consumption between 4matic vs. RWD? For both 350 and 550?

I suspect that the variance will not be significant.

I am driving RWD E550 and after the second big snow storm here in DC I sure wish I had an AWD.

And I agree about hydroplaning issue. I would feel more confident on wet roads if I had a 4matic.

Finally, 4matics are a tiny bit faster.

The reason I did not get a 4matic is because it would have delayed my car's delivery by almost 7 months.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by ipp
All season tires are also called "no season" tires.

I agree that in theory they are worthless. No real traction and no real performance. But for us lazy North Americans they are convenient. Performance tires can get hard and stiff in cold weather. Michelin PS2s turn into greasy hard plastic in cold weather and are downright dangerous.

But cold weather doesn't always mean snow, of course. And it's no fun running snow tires all the time unless there's actually snow on the ground. So people compromise. The AS tires don't turn into hard plastic in colder temps. But I'd use AS tires as my "snow tires" if I lived in the NYC area, and put on performance tires when the weather warmed up.

I never have to worry about snow or cold and so I run performance tires year around. AS tires would ruin my fun.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 AM

E 350 Coupe: Triumph Bonneville
Winter tires are not required by law at least in German. They are required by the INSURANCE industry. Another example of over regulation in Europe! The autobahns are as congested as the Interstate: jammed with trucks and summer construction. Performance tires do not matter when stuck in traffic in Cologne or Frankfurt!!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 AM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by SJB E350C
Winter tires are not required by law at least in German. They are required by the INSURANCE industry. Another example of over regulation in Europe! The autobahns are as congested as the Interstate: jammed with trucks and summer construction. Performance tires do not matter when stuck in traffic in Cologne or Frankfurt!!!!
Thats wrong, from this or last year, you have to have winter tires by law in Germany.

Germany

Motorists are obliged to make sure they have correct tyres to suit the winter weather conditions. This may mean the use of winter tyres (with M&S or snowflake symbol) and in extreme weather, the additional use of snow chains.

Vehicles with summer tyres fitted are not allowed to be driven on roads covered with snow and ice. Fines are in place for vehicles found to be doing so.