E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Scratch/ Minor Chip on Wheels. How to repair?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML 350
Scratch/ Minor Chip on Wheels. How to repair?

Washed the car the other day and noticed a 1/2" long thin scratch on a left rear wheel spoke and 3/8" long scrape on the lip near the tire of the left front wheel. (No tire damage) (It's winter here)

I have been going through a touch-less car wash, although there is a tire guide rail that keeps your car in a straight path as it travels through.

Don't know if the rail caused this, but I have been pretty particular about the car and don't believe it happened while driving. IMO, most driving wheel damage is on the right side of cars due to curbing.

I have 1500 miles on it, and if scratches and scrapes happen at this rate the wheels will be a mess.

Any ideas on how these or other scrapes can be repaired?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Although this article is for "scuff" repair, you may be able to use some of it for
your scratches :

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/w...uff-repair.htm
Old 02-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
My advice, stay away from automatic car washes, even touch-less, they are most likely the cause for your damage. I use them occasionally for my other cars but my MB will *never* see an auto car wash. I even refuse the complimentary car wash from the dealer!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally Posted by mm9351
My advice, stay away from automatic car washes, even touch-less, they are most likely the cause for your damage. I use them occasionally for my other cars but my MB will *never* see an auto car wash. I even refuse the complimentary car wash from the dealer!
Operators Manual states that cars can be washed in automatic car washes from day one. It does say you have to place the A/C on recirculation though. I think it did say something about brushless in particular. I don't use the brushless because it does not do as well and uses harsher chemicals. Friend has a brother in law who sells chemicals to car washes.
You may be right about the guides for the wheels, particularly if you have low profile tires.
I have used the same conveyor type car wash for 30 years and a couple of dozen cars with no damage to any car. Includes two convertibles.
That said, I am hand washing my E350 for the time being. Not sure the guys at the car wash will be able to figure out how to get it in neutral and then set for recirculation. One set vacums and then someone drives it to car wash itself.
My dealer hand washes the cars IF you want them to and are willing to wait.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
Been using auto car wash with no problems on
w212 and previous cars (last a bmw 650 vert). Its the type where they vacuum and then drive it to the conveyor. Haven't had any problems with someone not figuring out the transmission here or in valet parking garages which I use frequently. Id think if the conveyors were prone to scratching wheels the places using them would be out of business.

My main issue with those places is you get lazy people working and your car doesn't get clean.