E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

obsidian black (197) vs black (040)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
I had the same decision as well. I was at the dealership and they had a Hybrid S series in the OB black and a C63 in plain black. After looking at the two with normal light coming into the showroom it was clear which one really came to life with some light so I ordered the OB black. They both look great but I do give the OB a better rating on the eye candy chart.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quattroporte
Obsidian Black vs Mocha Black vs Platinum Black vs Standard Nano Black

Finally I'm all set to order my first ever S65 AMG !
Don't wanna sound soft or anything, but its been my dream since early 2008.
To make this whole thing more meaninful and remembering, my plan is to head out to Stuttgart, the heart of MB, and go over the whole process over there right on the spot.
I'm pretty much set with all extras, but there is one last thing that's bugging me day and night - WHICH BLACK COLOR.
Here where I'm from, 99% of all W221s are in Obsidian, and I have never had a chance to see designos Mocha Black, Platinum Black, or the standard nano black. Honestly, what I want is the richest and deepest black color without any secondary blends or reflections, in other words as pure black as possible.
For the interior, I chose to go with Designo Jet Black over the standard black AMG exclusive leather, because Designo Jet Black code X39 looked darker and deeper than the standard black AMG V-12 exclusive leather, but then again I can't say I'm 100% certain which one of the two is the deeper black color in reality not on pics.
Fellows, I know most of you here know which is which and how they look in reality, and I would sincerely appreciate your help.
Thank you very much all and have a great upcoming summer.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by Barsukov
Finally I'm all set to order my first ever S65 AMG !
Don't wanna sound soft or anything, but its been my dream since early 2008.
To make this whole thing more meaninful and remembering, my plan is to head out to Stuttgart, the heart of MB, and go over the whole process over there right on the spot.
I'm pretty much set with all extras, but there is one last thing that's bugging me day and night - WHICH BLACK COLOR.
Here where I'm from, 99% of all W221s are in Obsidian, and I have never had a chance to see designos Mocha Black, Platinum Black, or the standard nano black. Honestly, what I want is the richest and deepest black color without any secondary blends or reflections, in other words as pure black as possible.
For the interior, I chose to go with Designo Jet Black over the standard black AMG exclusive leather, because Designo Jet Black code X39 looked darker and deeper than the standard black AMG V-12 exclusive leather, but then again I can't say I'm 100% certain which one of the two is the deeper black color in reality not on pics.
Fellows, I know most of you here know which is which and how they look in reality, and I would sincerely appreciate your help.
Thank you very much all and have a great upcoming summer.
The reason why the majority of the buyer opt for obsidian is that it looks good most of the time and doesn't show swirls where pure black looks good after detail for about 3 days. Haven't seen a Designo Jet Black but if your paying more there's a reason.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
I had a tough decision between these two black colors as well. I opted plain black 040 . I didn't think there was need for paying extra bucks to have metallic paint this is why I ordered 040 .
Old 08-04-2016, 12:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
(For Sale 03 G55), 08 G55K, 99 C43, 04 E55, 05 E63, 91 BMW E30, 05 BMW M3, 05 Audi USP Avant
If you do not want swirl marks, its a really easy way to prevent them

do not buff your car with any machine ever!! ALWAYS MAKE SURE
the surface is cool in temperature, mornings are great , and use only
micro fiber towels. There is no reason to ever buff or machine polish
a new car ever. If you want to fix surface scratches, spot treat them by a
professional not some guy at a gas station car wash.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Here's my black in Obidsidian
Attached Thumbnails obsidian black (197) vs black (040)-clkbs.jpg