E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

A Question about ESP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
A Question about ESP

I have a question about the electronic stability program.

A few days ago, I was driving my '10 E550 in a mixed slush/wet pavement in a "spirited" manner, and noticed that, without turning off traction control, I was able to get a fair amount of tire slippage, both on acceleration and on cornering (safe environment). I am have a background in racing, and the appropriate control responses (steering, throttle, and brake) are second-nature to me.

Anyway, I've previously known two types of stability control. In a Porsche I once had, it was advertised that the stability control would back off a bit if the driver's control responses were congruent with the vehicle dynamics. If I remember correctly, something around 7% slippage was allowed before the stability control would intervene if the driver was doing a good job. Conversely, my wife's BMW allows 0% slippage -- confirmed by a BMW NA executive I knew -- so any slippage was met with rather abrupt intervention by the stability control, regardless of driver input. (As an aside, have you noticed that a lot of BMWs get stuck in snow? They'd be fine if they would just shut off the stability program. Confirmed by my wife who is not a good snow driver.)

EDIT: As an aside, many do not know that more traction is achieved with some tire slippage. (Notice that your tires squeal with ABS fully engaged, for instance.) Depending on the tire, the optimal slippage is often around 4-7%.

So, does anyone know if the ESP of Benz is intelligent? Any sources on this? In any case, the Benz ESP is amazingly smooth, and it many cases I cannot tell whether it has intervened, even though I am certain it must have.

Last edited by ttoE550; 02-25-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 Porsche Boxster S
Sorry, don't know the answer to your question, but as a BMW owner, I've learned to use the DTC button to avoid exactly what you just explained. The traction control cuts the throttle almost instantly. But turning on (or is it off?) DTC will allow some wheel slippage which can help you get out of slippery snow. Perhaps that will help your wife.