E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

S550 VS E550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Both seats as low as they can go and both at my "comfortable" position, I got an exact 37.75 on both of them to the surface of the headliner. I started my measurement from the back center of the seat where the back starts. The only way I could squeeze a 39'' on the 211 was to go up inside the sunroof.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
LOL, yeah, when I'm sitting upright, I have to angle my head into the sunroof hole somewhat to be completely comfortable. My S500 was even worse. . I wonder how the 212 would be for my proportions. Anyone have head room stats for the 221?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 939 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I don't consider either a very good choice. Except for the E63 the W212's front end is ugly and the the W221 is just too fkng big. If I had to choose I would go with the W212 because a you don't have to look at the front end when you drive it and the W221 is just ridiculously large. If the W212 drove like a 4/5's S class as somebody has claimed then that would cement the deal. Though I have read the that consumer reports and others have found the W212's steering objectionably light. Like KA said I dread the amount of time it takes me to wash the W211 I can only imagine the consumption of my life that would be devoted to the W221. It would be a great car to be seen in though.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 04-11-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

^^ WERD!!

The "great car to be seen in" hits the nail on the head. I know it's not "cool" to admit this, but driving an S-Class is a simpletons way of exaggerating how well life is/how you "made it", E-Classes in SoCal are driven ALL over the place by Joe and Jane Soccer Family and old Grannies alike, the prestige is there, but it's simply because it's a decent sized Mercedes that isn't a C-Class, aside from that, it isn't near the "status" level of an S (even though those are far from rare here too). At the same time, my Girlfriend and her friends (and most people) don't know the difference from one Benz to another, so I always get her friends swooning over the fact that her Boyfriend drives a "Mercedes" (lame yes, but true), so that goes back again to the "as long as it's a nice/decent sized Benz it looks prestigious by default".

Another thing that's not "cool PC" to admit, but I'm pretty young, and work hard for my money, sometimes I just think about how satisfying it would be for someone like me to have what many consider the ultimate privilege of a Luxury car.

Then I think about what MBNUT1 also said again, and that is how much TIME and energy I'll have to devote to the car, which I know will be a lot, because it ALREADY is a lot with my beloved E!

Oh well, that's my nonsensical ramblings for the day.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by 220S
W212:
Front leg room: 41.3
Rear leg room: 35.8
Front head room: 37.9
Front shoulder room: 57.8
Rear shoulder room: 56.9
Front hip room: N/A
Rear hip room: N/A

W211:
Front leg room: 41.9
Rear leg room: 35.6
Front head room: 39.1
Front shoulder room: 56.4
Rear shoulder room: 56.1
Front hip room: 57.2
Rear hip room: 57.2

Shoulder room is a bit of improvement, but the leg room seems not much different (slight loss in the front and slight gain in the back.) Loss of one inch head room on the W212. Slighter smaller greenhouse, maybe(?) A gain in shoulder room in the front for the W212.

Couldn't find hip room for the W212 (?)

I know this is a ridiculous thought, but just out of curiosity... does MB use different chasis dimensions for different international markets for the same vehicle (ie: U.S. W212 vs. China W212)?

The reason why I say this is because I own/drive/ride in two 2009 W211 E350's in the U.S., and when I was in China and was driven in a 2010 W212 E300. However, from first-hand experience, I'd say the W212's leg room, shoulder room, and trunk space feels significantly SMALLER than my W211's (but only a tad bigger than my old W203).

In the front passenger seat, with my right shoulder nearly touching the door (maybe ~1.5" from it), my left shoulder is already intruding on the center console area and my elbow can't help but touch the center console (with arms and elbows straight down). It reminds me of how I felt sitting in my W203... except just a tiny bit wider. In my W211, with my arms and elbows straight down, I have more than 2" of clearance between the door and my shoulders, and my elbows don't even touch the door armrest or center console.

And in order to have any USABLE leg room in the back seats, I have to move my front seats up until my knees are very close to the glove compartment door (maybe 2" or so) with my feet all the way forward in the footwell. With my W211, my knees have a good 4" of distance from the glove compartment door with my feet all the way forward in the footwell, and the rear-seats still have around 10" of space between the back of the front-seat and the beginning of the rear bench-seat. (Keep in mind I'm only 5'10" and have an asian build.)

And speaking of leg room... with the front leg room adjusted to how I normally like to sit in the U.S., the W212 rear passengers literally have a ~7"-8" clearance from the back of the front-seat to the beginning of the rear bench-seat. In sitting behind the driver's seat (driver is around 5"2, so his seat is moved up significantly further than mine), I have about a 10" clearance between the from the back of the front-seat to the beginning of the rear bench-seat, so I have to turn my feet/shoes sideways at an angle just to get them into the rear footwells (after which is OK since there's some empty space underneath the front seat where my toe portion of my shoes can extend... I wear size 9.5-10 shoes). This was never the case in my W211, where I always have ample room to put my feet in the rear footwell without twisting/turning it front driver's seat adjusted for a 5'2" driver! And with a 5'10" driver (me), the distance between the back of the front-seat to the beginning of the rear bench-seat is 10".

The trunk space on the W211 can fit 2 large suitcases + 3 or 4 carry-on sized luggage (or 3 medium suitcases + 2-3 carry-on sized luggage). The trunk space on the W212 can fit 1 large suitcase + 3-4 carry-on sized luggage (or 1 medium suitcase + 5-6 carry-on sized luggage). Extra suitcases had to go in the W212's back seat. (When I say "carry-on sized luggage", I mean like an average carry-on size as set by the airlines with flexible fabric material/contents that can be squished into the remaining space in the trunk.) All suitcases and bags in this comparison are the same exact ones my family packed for the trip (trip to LAX in a 2009 W211 E350, trip from PVG was in a 2010 W212 E300... both cars were Made In Germany).

Last edited by chokaay; 04-12-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Trunk space in volume according to MBUSA are identical.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Very weird Chokaay. I was actually certain this wasn't the case. In fact, I always said anything with less room than the 211 offers would be a deal-breaker to me (front seat wise, I don't ever use the back seats or make use of the great trunk space), unless it's a Sports Coupe, but on a Sedan, I like an open, airy, non-clausterphobic feel, and something that accomodates my height. I guess when I've sat in and driven 212's I didn't put much attention into how the dimensions felt to me, as I was concentrating on other things.

I'll say it again, my Malibu has a super slim green-house, almost "chop-top" look style, and I don't love the feel inside due to it, too slim of window space means more interior/plastics surrounding you, and more clausterphobic, although it makes for a "cool" trendy look, however I feel like I have MORE sitting room, and way more headspace than in my E, which has a taller greenhouse, much more open/airy interior feel, and more space altogether. Kudos to GM for making great sitting space use in such a narrow, and design-proportioned design (with the slim windows, etc.).

Last edited by K-A; 04-13-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:07 AM

E350
Originally Posted by RNBRAD
Trunk space in volume according to MBUSA are identical.
Originally Posted by K-A
Very weird Chokaay. I was actually certain this wasn't the case. In fact, I always said anything with less room than the 211 offers would be a deal-breaker to me (front seat wise, I don't ever use the back seats or make use of the great trunk space), unless it's a Sports Coupe, but on a Sedan, I like an open, airy, non-clausterphobic feel, and something that accomodates my height. I guess when I've sat in and driven 212's I didn't put much attention into how the dimensions felt to me, as I was concentrating on other things...

Yeah, this is very strange. Sitting in that W212 reminded me almost exactly what it was like sitting in a U.S. W204 (same exact feeling with maybe some more head room and a fraction of an inch wider... but not by much). I really didn't like the feeling at all. This is why I was asking if MB was shipping different chasis/body versions to different countries.

And even IF the trunks are the same volume, they certainly aren't the same dimensions (to get the suitcases and stuff in there). I find the W211's trunk is extremely well dimensioned and sized... the W212's trunk is not well dimensioned (at least for frequent travelers)... very inconvenient IMO...

I did notice a posting on some other website mentioning that MB was coming out with the "E300L" for certain countries, which is 14cm longer. Could this "E300L" chasis be the same size as the U.S. W212 dimensions?

http://www.chinacartimes.com/2010/03...or-lengthened/

http://www.mibz.com/8633-beijing-ben...-in-china.html

http://wheelsbd.com/forum/european-c...0-l-china.html

http://www.benzinsider.com/2010/04/l...hinese-shores/

Last edited by chokaay; 04-13-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:20 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I'm 100% that the chassis is identical everywhere. Actually the 212 L is only for China, BMW is doing the same thing with their new 5-Series. Apparently the Chinese market is so booming for cars right now, everyone's Luxo car crazy, so autoakers are rigging their midsizes with elongated chassis's, for that extra "Premium"-ness or whatever. I think that they look totally awkward, haha, that's what the 7'er or S is for!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:28 AM

E350
Originally Posted by K-A
I'm 100% that the chassis is identical everywhere. Actually the 212 L is only for China, BMW is doing the same thing with their new 5-Series. Apparently the Chinese market is so booming for cars right now, everyone's Luxo car crazy, so autoakers are rigging their midsizes with elongated chassis's, for that extra "Premium"-ness or whatever. I think that they look totally awkward, haha, that's what the 7'er or S is for!

Then I guess I won't be considering a W212 Sedan or Coupe for an upgrade to my W211 in the years to come... unless they redesign the cabin and trunk dimensions in their mid-cycle facelift (which I don't think they will).
Old 04-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E5504, 2008 MB S5504 (gone), 2010 BMW x6 50i, 2011 ML350 (wife) 2008 BMW 535xi (gone);
I am debating between e5504 and 2008 S class AMG PKG here in NY. After test driving both, I think I am opting for the 550. I do allot of driving and it is just so composed and relaxed. Not as "driver involved" as my 535 which I loved --- but feels safe, solid, secure -- interestingly it does not feel as big when you are driving it. I am sure that as I get some time it, it will feel more comfortable and not as large.

They are over manhattan and no one seems to have a problem with the size, although I am sure they take a beating in NY's cramped parking garage and when trying to park on the street. My x6 is so wide and has such poor rearward and side visibility, that the fenders have been scratched twice in three attempts by the attendants...

Five years ago it would have been the E but just turned 40 with two small kids and sitting in traffic everyday....the S is the better choice for our family..

good luck

Last edited by dmbordoni; 04-24-2010 at 09:33 PM.