Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-350 4MATIC Silver
Extended Warranties

Hi Folks,
Last night I purchased E350 4MATIC. I am supposed to choose extended warranties as follows.

7 year/100000 - $5160
Touch of Class for Interior - $1245
Wheel and Tire - $1995
Scotchgard Paint Protection Film (Clear Shield) - $1895

Since I own this Vehicle, I am intend to keep this with me for long time. This is my first MB. I owned Toyotas and Hondas before and never bought extended warraties for these vehicles.

Is it worth to buy these warranties at this price.

Regards,
Prasad
Old 06-06-2010, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by prasadkulkarni
Hi Folks,
Last night I purchased E350 4MATIC. I am supposed to choose extended warranties as follows.

7 year/100000 - $5160

Is it worth to buy these warranties at this price.

Regards,
Prasad
The only warranty worth considering is the MB Extended warranty for 3 additional years or 100,000 miles coverage. But the price your have been quoted is outrageous. Here in Canada, the MB Extended warranty for your vehicle is offered @ $3450 and this price is negotiable.

My advice would be to shop around before you buy the extended warranty.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:33 PM

E-350 4MATIC Silver
Well how can I shop around ? Are we not supposed to buy the warranty at the time of buying vehicle ? Can I buy vehicle from one dealer and get warranty from another dealer ?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:02 PM

E-Class
Well how can I shop around ? Are we not supposed to buy the warranty at the time of buying vehicle ? Can I buy vehicle from one dealer and get warranty from another dealer ?
Best time to buy a warranty if you plan on doing so is at the time of purchase, find out what a reasonable price is for the extended warranty and then when you get to finance manager office who will offer these warranties if you fell the price they are quoting you is high bluff them saying other dealers quoted me x, if they do not match the price, you will have buy the car from someone else as your overall cost will cheaper even tho they agree to discount the car a couple of bucks more. Trust me they are not going to blow the deal over a couple of extra dollars profit on a warranty if they did, that dealership finance manager is an idiot as some profit is better than making no money at all and loosing the sale and at that point it costs them almost nothing to offer you the warranty as they already spent all the time getting you to agree to price of the car.

Just a small tip, normally dealership makes more money off of car financing and warranties than off selling the car. These warranties are very profitable for the dealership. I have no idea how much of a discount you can really get but wheel and tire warranty which I know a lot of people who have bought it were able to negotiate that one down to $1250 and I have a felling even at $1250 the dealership is making money on it too.

Only thing I do not know is if the warranties are all from Mercedes directly or different dealership uses different companies. Just like with car insurance it is very possible that 1 dealership carrier is cheaper or insurance premium in 1 part of the country are lower than other parts.

Last edited by cyberjak; 06-06-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:32 PM

2010 E350 1999 Ninja ZX7R 2006 Ninja ZX10R
The price your being quoted has a 50%+ markup. A fair price would be somewhere in the mid 2k price range. Dealers are willing to discount if you show no interest in buying because 100% of something beats 100% of nothing. I was offered a 7 year 70000 mile MB warranty with zero deductable for around 2300. It's retail price was 4100. Even though the offer was generous I passed on the deal due to the solid reliability of the E the last several years. I believe the people who would beat the odds of purchasing a warranty would be vehicles bought between 2003-2005 (Chrysler years) & AMG models. You don't have to buy the warranty at time of purchase in fact many companies including costco & usaa(usaa's I'm told will be later this year) offer extended warranties before and after the MB warranty ends. The bottom line for me is I baby my vehicles and keep them well maintained so I'll take the risk on pass on any extra service.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:32 PM

MBE550
Hi . Here are some inputs to assist you on this re the extended car warranty (the one for the car, not the tire and other type of warranties as I have no knowledge about those) .

1) As others stated,the best time to try and negotiate a good deal on the car extended warranty is at the time of purchase, but to do this you need to have called and shopped around for the prices from other MB dealerships for the same terms (and types) of warranty (see below) ie 7 year /100K or 7 / 75K etc , so you have any idea of the general prices and what some are willing to offer.

2) There is now a 15 % up charge (non negotiable) if you buy the MB ELW extended warranty after 30 days of buying the car, so keep this in mind, as I did pay the 15 % up charge buying an extended MB(non aftermarket) warranty, and there was no way around it (spoke to many MB dealerships and all said the same thing).

3) I am speaking specifically about a MB ELW (Extended limited warranty) and there is no deductible on that one , and it is the one with MB and not an aftermarket warranty . There are surely lower prices all over for after market warranties and these have no 15 % up charge. The aftermarket warranties usually have a deductible so keep this in mind as well.

I personally went with (always) the MB ELW warranty and not an aftermarket one, so this is what I am referring to here.

4) From what I know doing some research , the MB dealership costs on a 7 year / 70 K MB extended warranty for a E550 is approximately $2700/2800 or so approximately at this time (dont know the price of the 7 year / 100K but guessing it would be more like 3200/3300 cost ) , so in my view paying around $ 3000K or so for the 7year /75K from a MB dealership would not be a bad deal(less is better of course).

Remember, add 15 % if you buy it after 30 days of owning your car as all MB dealerships will add this on unfortunately .

5) You can buy the MB ELW warranty from any MB authorized dealership in the USA , so it does not have to be bought from the MB dealership you bought the car from.

You can also likely look this up on the MBUSA web site or call MB directly and confirm it I assume.

I have had people help me with good advice in this forum when I have asked questions looking for advice and help , so just trying to do the same here to help others.

Hope all this info is helpful to you and everyone.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Providing your car is serviced by MB dealers on an annual basis, you have the option of buying the MB Extended Warranty anytime up to the expiration of the regular 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. However, the price of EW at time of car purchase will be more advantageous.

Last edited by DerekACS; 06-06-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury 4Matic
I believe some other advantages of MB ELW are:

1. If you never go into the warranty period, you can cancel it. Less than 4yr/50K, if you decide you don't want the extended warranty anymore, you can cancel and get the money back you paid for it.

2. Once the extended warranty period, it is transferrable to another owner (should you sell the car)

3. Use of genuine Mercedes parts

----

I normally don't buy extended warranties, but I thought at a good price it gave peace of mind post sales. The E350 was my first Benz too. 2010 was the first of the W212 series, so many things could go wrong as with any make's model first year. Who knows, right?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:01 PM

E-350 4MATIC Silver
I never had to do any work on my Toyota camry for last 12 years except for standard routine maintenance. My Honda Oddssey had to go through shock absorber, steering wheel pump and axel rod change but all of it is covered under standard waranty so I did not have to pay any dime. Not sure what will happen post this warranty. I am trying to find if MB is like Toyota or Honda in reliability department.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:08 AM

2010 E350 1999 Ninja ZX7R 2006 Ninja ZX10R
I've also drove a Toyota to 250k+ miles before I donated it & currently have a Honda Accord with 132k+ miles that I use as a daily driver & both were / are trouble free. The Mercedes is a much more "high tech" car that is more prone to issues due to it's over engineering IMO but over time it's issues should show up during it's 4year/50k warranty.if the vehicle shows above average issues during the factory warranty I will either get rid of it after the 4 years or look at extending the manufacturers warranty. Alot of people fear the 1st year of a new body style but the drive train has been around for years & is proven . As for the rest of the vehicle most of it is estetics & re-enforced steel that has been changed . The E has a long run of average or above average reliability based on CR. If I were in a position where I'm worried,which I'm not, I would consider purchasing the warranty for peace of mind.