E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 for a first car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 129 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
First you should not have car at 16. However ,if your parents are prepared to co-pilot the lease, look at a Mustang convertible or a Bimmer. A C class is a girl's car. Better yet, invest the money for university. Once you graduate you may have the tools and the maturity to get whatever you want all on your own.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
Blah blah blah....walked up hill both ways in the snow to school....etc. I get it, times were different. As far as having a car at 16, I think it should be taken case by case. I would agree there are some 16 year olds that either should not have a car or who come from a family where it may not be possible to have a car specifically for them. Our daughter is responsible, a great student, a fantastic athlete, and respectful to others. Our son is on the same path so far but has 3 more years to go so we will see about him when he gets there. I still maintain there is nothing wrong with an e class for a first car.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:00 PM

2010 E350 1999 Ninja ZX7R 2006 Ninja ZX10R
I agree that times are different (for the worse). Most young adults have an entitlement mentality because they have been given material items just because they're "good". Also there is a poor work ethic due to most kids never understanding the real value of a dollar. When I was sixteen I worked 20 hours a week to pay for my POS car while I had friends who would get to pick any car @ the dealer for being a good kid. Today I own two homes a garage full of vehicles & savings for retirement while they rent & barely live paycheck to paycheck. Don't get me wrong, at sixteen I would dream about owning a Mercedes 560SEC or 560SEL & tried to convince my dad I needed one due to safety. Most of the people I know today who are successful were given only guidence growing up.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
The issue here is not that he can afford the car, or that daddy is buying him the car. The issue is that he is 16. It is rare that a 16 year old can drive responsibly.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:28 PM

2010 E350
Point well taken. There is definitely an entitlement mentality with today's kids. I dont believe that kids cant learn the value of a dollar simply because they are deluged with material items these days. I came from a fairly wealthy family and had every material item I could have desired as a child and into my college life. My parents always made me work and insisted I take care of the things I was given. They spoke with me often about life and working hard since my dad started from humble beginnings. The gravy train stopped when I chose to get married and I quickly realized how difficult maintaining my habitual lifestyle was going to be.

We struggled to put me through medical school, a long residency, and a subsequent fellowship. I remember not having two nickels to rub together and watching my student loan balance creep higher as my friends bought homes and took vacations while we struggled to make rent and put gas in the one POS car we had. While my parents didnt abandon me, the financial support dried up and I was the captain of my own ship. We worked our asses off to get where we are today and I credit my upbringing for most of my success. Both of my brothers and my sister are also very successful people as well. So, just because one has material possessions doesn't mean he/she doesnt have a good work ethic.

The instant either of my kids start behaving as spoiled brats it all comes to an end...if you asked either of them they would tell you the same thing. Having money doesnt make one's character, it simply reveals it.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
Originally Posted by FS3843
I just said i just turned 16... and you said you have to be 16 to solo... Obviously that means I haven't had my solo because I wasn't old enough.
Instead of blowing that 10K on a car and get stuck with paying for it for several years just buy something small and reliable and put the rest of the money towards a place of your own when you're 17-18. You'll have waaaaaay more fun in your own place than in any car in the world. While everyone would have a car to drive around looking for chicks you can be getting busy with those same chicks in your own place. Now that's pimp.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:15 PM

Isn't that how people end up on the Maury show?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 PM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
Originally Posted by Ninjaryder
Isn't that how people end up on the Maury show?
If you're destined to end up on Maury then you'll get there regardless. Why drop all that money to impress the chicks with a car when some other silly posers with nice cars can be dropping those same chicks off at your place? Wish someone would give me such an advice when I was growing up...
Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 PM

2010 E550 4M Arctic White, P2, Pano, Park, Sport, Drive Dynamic, Trunk Spoiler, Rear Deck Spoiler
Listen Kid! if you can afford it and you have earned it yourself.... i say GO FOR IT!!!!
all of us here are on this mercedes forum because we all bought these amazing cars and obviously love it!! personally i think they are the best cars in the world!
test drive a few different benz's i.e. E or C even the SLK (i had one when i was 21) and get whatever you like. You will enjoy each and every moment of it!!
GOOD LUCK! dont let anyone let you think you shouldnt get it just coz you are 16!!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:08 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I've talked to this "Kid" via PM.

Compared to about every other 16 year old who's getting a Benz for their first car and coming on these Forums, where you can smell the spoil in their posts, and their grammatical skills are repulsive.

He sounds mature, and seems to have made his own money. So, hey, life is short, if you have it, and especially earned it, live it up and enjoy it!

Sure, there are WAY better places he can put that money, but I'm 28, made my own money, and bought 3 Benzes in 2 years, i.e as soon as I too started making better money.

My Mom still gets on my case about where I should be spending *My* money more wisely (she cares). But here I am spending it how I'm spending it, so who am I to tell someone "Invest in property, not a car".
Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 PM

2010 E550 4M Arctic White, P2, Pano, Park, Sport, Drive Dynamic, Trunk Spoiler, Rear Deck Spoiler
Originally Posted by K-A
I've talked to this "Kid" via PM.

Compared to about every other 16 year old who's getting a Benz for their first car and coming on these Forums, where you can smell the spoil in their posts, and their grammatical skills are repulsive.

He sounds mature, and seems to have made his own money. So, hey, life is short, if you have it, and especially earned it, live it up and enjoy it!

Sure, there are WAY better places he can put that money, but I'm 28, made my own money, and bought 3 Benzes in 2 years, i.e as soon as I too started making better money.

My Mom still gets on my case about where I should be spending *My* money more wisely (she cares). But here I am spending it how I'm spending it, so who am I to tell someone "Invest in property, not a car".
I totally agreee! im 31 and this is my 2nd Benz. But in my case my parents dont care. They know my head is in the right place.
But the "KID" definitely deserves ittt! Live your dream!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

A spoiled rotten attitude is a different story, and is simply a product of bad parenting, and is someone I don't want driving on my streets, or hanging around what would be "my Kids". But if the 16 year old is too advance for his own good, no reason to hold him back.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by K-A

A spoiled rotten attitude is a different story, and is simply a product of bad parenting, and is someone I don't want driving on my streets, or hanging around what would be "my Kids". But if the 16 year old is too advance for his own good, no reason to hold him back.
Yea. but even if he was a spoilt Kid, whats the difference?? how is it any different for any of us if he was driving around the neighbourhood in a run down 1995 chevy cavaliar or a 2010 C class?? He would still have SOME kind of a car!!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 PM

i see everyone here discouraging him NOT from buying a car but from buying a mercedes!! i dont see how that is anyones business!!! is this what we call the "Land of the Free?"
Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by akp550
Yea. but even if he was a spoilt Kid, whats the difference?? how is it any different for any of us if he was driving around the neighbourhood in a run down 1995 chevy cavaliar or a 2010 C class?? He would still have SOME kind of a car!!
True. I guess what I'm trying to say is, as long as a spoiled 16 year old kid (with no experiences or life's lessons under his/her belt) isn't driving on my streets with a HIGH POWERED car, then I'm cool.

I.e C63 or the like.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

i see everyone here discouraging him NOT from buying a car but from buying a mercedes!! i dont see how that is anyones business!!! is this what we call the "Land of the Free?"
Again, I agree, a C350 isn't a hot-rod that will tempt someone to want to haul *** (of course you can haul *** in anything, but point is, some cars are bought for their racing capabilities).

As well, it's basically designed to be a "Premium Entry-Level" car, i.e, for some young buck that can afford it, or for someone who wants to get into a Benz, but doesn't have the $$ for a bigger model, or just doesn't want a bigger model.

That design mentality also caters to the younger crowd, as the C-Class is clearly designed for. So I actually find it to be a responsible buy for someone looking for a nice first car, and has money to spend.

MUCH better choice than a GT500 Mustang, which would be an irresponsible buy to anyone with little driving experience, as it is designed with trouble in mind.

As well, a C-Class is one of the safest cars on the road, I'd probably want my kid in a C-Class if I was gonna spend that range of dollar on a car. It's nice, but not out of the ordinary for a young'in, and designed with Safety in mind.

My first "real" car was a Mustang GT. Although back then they only had a measly 215 HP, the mentality of the car got me into Street Racing, where some bad sh** could have turned out for me.

Last edited by K-A; 06-17-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
I'd go with the c350 instead of the E. lol i had a 94 S420 as my first car back in 2005 (was a senior in high school). Even for me right now, at times the E feels too big and i would prefer something smaller (C350, G37, 328i).
Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 PM

C350
Originally Posted by Tymah123
Instead of blowing that 10K on a car and get stuck with paying for it for several years just buy something small and reliable and put the rest of the money towards a place of your own when you're 17-18. You'll have waaaaaay more fun in your own place than in any car in the world. While everyone would have a car to drive around looking for chicks you can be getting busy with those same chicks in your own place. Now that's pimp.
I'm not really worried about the money... that seems to be coming up over and over in this thread. I work for my money, and have enough to buy both a car and a place of my own right now. So when I'm ready to get my own place in a few years... I will be in an even better position to do that.

Listen Kid! if you can afford it and you have earned it yourself.... i say GO FOR IT!!!!
all of us here are on this mercedes forum because we all bought these amazing cars and obviously love it!! personally i think they are the best cars in the world!
test drive a few different benz's i.e. E or C even the SLK (i had one when i was 21) and get whatever you like. You will enjoy each and every moment of it!!
GOOD LUCK! dont let anyone let you think you shouldnt get it just coz you are 16!!
You're right. lol

And to K-A I appreciate all your help through private message on actually answering my questions. I found the right car, the C350, and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to get.

Last edited by FS3843; 06-17-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 AM

Being able to buy something is different than being able to afford something. 50k of depreciating debt @ 16 years old? Yes I could buy a Ferrari but I can't afford one. Yes a bus driver could by a $1,000,000 house during the housing bubble but they couldn't afford it. I agree that maturaty varies amongst teenagers but what lessons are they being taught about finances? It's a joke to say people buy Mercedes because they're safe. Why not buy a Volvo or a Hyundai? The fact is most people buy a mercedes for the same reason one buys a rolex, it's a statement of success. At 16 I would want a Mercedes too but at my age I'm much happier having someone teaching the value of a dollar & a new car can't buy happiness. Friends always tell me that they won't ride motorcycles like me because they're too dangerous even they only do what they're told and can accelerate, brake , & turn faster than most any vehicle built. The bottom line is experience can only be reached over time.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by FS3843
I'm not really worried about the money... that seems to be coming up over and over in this thread. I work for my money, and have enough to buy both a car and a place of my own right now. So when I'm ready to get my own place in a few years... I will be in an even better position to do that.

You're right. lol

And to K-A I appreciate all your help through private message on actually answering my questions. I found the right car, the C350, and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to get.
Not a prob man! You seem to be on the right path, some good and not so good advice here from people to sift through, both sides do have a point. Enjoy yourself, and if you're doing things like you're doing, then you have a big future. Just watch your a$$ and don't make any "immature" decisions that might get you into trouble, yet at the same time, enjoy yourself.

Like everything in life, you gotta walk the fine line! I'm sitting here trying to hold my balance as we speak!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Why people are so cheap here?, why this boy should follow your stupid suggestion to save money for some unknown reason, or do not drive a car at all? What’s a stupid slavery psychology, the boy has money and can do with own money whatever he wants without asking you. If you couldn’t make good money at 16, I am sorry for you all, you guys are losers. I would ask him only one question, why to buy so boring car unless he's a girl. Why do not buy M3 or Porsche? Same money but much more fun.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 AM

I'm 18 and just got a 2010 350 (my second car so far)
and from my experience "kids" that can afford a 60k car and have money left over for other things most likely aren't making their money legally.

first car was a 2002 audi a6, which i drove for one year and 13k miles
Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
i read through the thread. but i am interested in what the "kid" does. c350 on his own? baller status.

but none the less. what i failed to see was someone saying be responsible. maybe i overlooked it. but honestly who cares what other ppl think. if you got the cash for it. go for it. and take care of yourself and your possessions. haha. i mean ive seen 18 yo with 60k cars in which they are taking more care for it then older guys with the same car. all up to the individual is how i see it. gl pal. be safe on the roads. ahah
Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 AM

C350
Jaymoney92: Lol... That's funny. But no, I do make my money legally and pay taxes.

Just because you weren't able to do it, doesn't mean someone else has to be doing it illegally.

Last edited by FS3843; 06-22-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 PM

I'm sure its very possible that a 16 year old made close to or over 100k in this economy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E350 for a first car