Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:58 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
So KA listen to this. Guess what my buddy at work whom I bought my E350 from and who later bought an 08 E350 and this week just bought a 2010 E350 said about the W212? He first commented on it's steering being much more responsive and then went on to say that the quality of the interior materials was not as good as the W211 "the hard dash material is more like the C Class" totally unsolicited on my part.
Interesting. Yeah, that is definitely the case in quite a few areas. Of course there are some that feel better, and some that don't. Overall, I'd say the 212's interior definitely does make use of far more plastics where the 211 had carpeting, etc. To note, the plastics in the 212 are more often than not, quality in the durable sense, and quality plastics, and plastic isn't always "bad" in cars, but it's obvious some of this was done in cost cutting.

Also, yeah, the dash is definitely a bit "harsher" than the 211's dash, although it feels like it could take a bigger beating. The 211's dash felt a little more quality in the elegance/luxury sense, while the 212's feels more like it's made to last forever. It is more reminiscent of the C-Classes dash material (maybe the exact same material, but I'm in denial of that as I hate the C's interior), and one thing I don't like about the dash, is like the C-Class, it has this "rubbery" texture to it, that traps dust and dirt.

Fit and finish in the 212 is superior, but materials quality is more questionable in some areas, comparatively speaking. Overall, they're so different the two, they coddle you in their different ways. It would have been nice to have the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by mg-E550
to the original poster - well written and thanks for doing it. Iwas in same boat as you...looking at these pictures I definitely think the 212 is a better looking in the front. I thought the 212's rear would look dumb next to a F10 but your pics show otherwise.

I hate to say it - I think the E60 (at least the M5) looks better from the front than the F10.
Thanks, and agreed! I thought the rear would get slaughtered too, but I was shocked and happy with the side by side results. Front isn't really a question, lol.

Last edited by K-A; 07-09-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
the F10 is nice, but the 212 is nicer! almost a coin toss, love those LED fogs!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 ML350
Originally Posted by K-A
Today I finally was able to get some time with an F10.

First one I saw, a 550i, was sitting pretty in the Showroom. A Charcoal-y color. My heart immediately started to sink (Sh**, did I really make the right choice?). I start expressing my situation, and as soon as I said I have the new E-Class, the Salesman was very much complimentary towards it, just saying how in awe he is of the new E's lines, and styling, and especially front end (especially compared to the upsetting front of the new 5'er). Being someone who's been against the E for so long, and now an Owner, I can fairly state that the E seems to be the popularity contest winner this time around (like the E60 before it.... So that crown doesn't mean much to me).

We went upstairs to see an Alpine White 535i. GORGEOUS. Tears almost streaming down my face now (in potential "remorse"). The White pops very much, it's a more "White White" than M-B's kind of "Off White" Arctic White.

I couldn't get enough of the car, just beautiful. Sticker was nice and high at $69K-ish, it had EVERYTHING.

Took it for a drive, man that thing flies, just so zippy, and power when you want it. More remorse for me, as it's a whole different animal than the E350. As soon as I started it up, I notice it's a performance 6-Cylinder, based off of sound.

The interior is very nice, I don't know if it's nicer than the E's though. Materials are very comparable. The E has a more "Business", open-air, confident approach, while the BMW is very at-your-service, driver oriented, yet still very comfy and coddling. Seats felt outstanding (remember, this is the Loaded Loaded Car).

All in all, that aspect is purely preference.

The car felt very nimble, not as substantial and "heavy cruising" as the E, basically, it's a "BMW VS Mercedes". I love the Benzes substantial, strong feel, yet love how zippy and nimble the Bimmer feels, preference again.

I did the "Self Parking" thing, and WOW, completely insane. The car literally parked itself. Something that would have saved me from curbing my rims.

I couldn't test the handling much, but considering how good the W212's steering feel is, it wasn't an immediate night and day, but it was definitely more willing, and a bit lighter feeling to me. I really wanted to throw it through some curves, but no such luck really.

Big deal breaker is how WIDE the base of the wheel is (the bottom plastic portion, between your thigh area), my knee/leg kept hitting it, very uncomfortable.

All in all, I told the guy "if I was comparing both cars right now, and didn't have either, I might have went with the 535i".

We get back, and I snap pics of both cars. Some people came up and couldn't help but seem more interested in the E. Including the workers. Seeing them both together, I had a tough time finding my "favorite". However, my happiness-o-meter went back up, as I felt the E is the one I wanted to get in, the one I want to call "My Own". All in all, I couldn't help but to be drawn by its styling more-so. Although I think the 5'er is purely gorgeous (minus the front, mainly, which isn't all thaat bad, but doesn't compare to the E's, just like the E's rear isn't really as interesting as the Bimmers IMO, although it is less "bloaty", so that's a toss up to me as well).

I got in my E, and to be honest, I couldn't be happier.

Phew (for now).

BTW, the Salesman restored my faith in BMW Dealerships (I became a big baby after some bad experiences at a Bimmer Dealer). Stand up guy, true Car Enthusiast, and he was nice to let me spend some time comparing the cars, etc.

Pics below:

So i've had my car for two weeks now and I'm really happy with it. Traded in my first car which was an 06 530i. Anyways people look at my new c, I enjoy the drive, options, blah blah. Haven't thought about any other cars. Now that I've seen yours, I now want an E class. So thank you for making me jealous. Enjoy the car, probably one of the best looking on this sit. Maybe I'll start sucking up to my parents and get one in a year or two

Last edited by Steezin92; 10-19-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:50 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Haha, that's funny, and thank you man, I appreciate the nice compliment!

No need to be jealous though, the C's a super sweet ride, especially the '11's with the LED's included!

Congrats and enjoy it, you can't lose with the C or E.