The new Infiniti E Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
The new Infiniti E Class

Or how about a Z with a MB BlueTec? Or the 5.5 V8?

Ah, yes, there's nothing like brand dilution.

........the first reports from Japan suggested that the next-generation Infiniti G sedan and coupe, as well as future M sedans, will be built on the Mercedes-Benz E-Class platform.......

Hmmm, maybe that explains the new design style of the W212...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HmDI...eature=related

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...wered-nissan-z
Old 07-23-2010, 05:14 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
What's funny is all the comments there stating how everyone's upset that NISSAN will have a Benz motor.... I.e how that will ruin the "Z"'s legacy, and ruin Nissan. LOL. I think it's a stupid situation on both sides.

Why didn't M-B learn from the Chrysler era? Sure Renault/Nissan can teach them a thing or two this time as well as what Daimler can of course teach, but this is a pretty lose-lose situation.

I love my car, but M-B is making me feel like I made a lousy choice; due to doing everything in their power to ensure my "spending" $60K on a product of theirs, doesn't grant me any exclusivity whatsoever, including knowing the Infinite next to me is riding on the same chassis.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Manufacturers have to do a lot of things to stay in business nowadays. Things like selling engines/chassis parts to their competitors.

What would be a better choice in your opinion? A chevy Malibu (no, I'm not knocking it, bare with me) that shares it's chassis with the Pontiac G6 and the Saturn Aura?

If we were to follow your thinking, you should be upset at every other car new car out there. Mercedes-Benz has 90% of all patents held globally for motor vehicles. Many of those patents are used by all manufacturers for safety purposes, like crumple zone, airbags, anti-lock brakes and more, all Mercedes inventions but now relatively commonplace. I know, the horror! No more benZ exclusivity!

Seriously... it is what it is, man. In todays Global economy, you can't expect a manufacturer to rely solely on people buying nothing but their products.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I understand the benefits of it fiscally, and I know that in the big picture, who really cares, as it doesn't diminish the chassis that I'm driving on one bit....

However, I dunno, M-B used to hold the E chassis as sacred ground, enough so that when they lent it to Chrysler for the 300, they gave them an old W124 (or was it W210) chassis.

.... Of course, Nissan has proven they can make a strong chassis themselves, so I understand a generation old E chassis would be essentially a downgrade compared to what they'll have the ability to do come the next G/Z Series'.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
~shrug~

Why do companies do the screwed up things they sometimes do? We, the mere mortals will likely never know.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

We just give them our money and follow along, all the while bickering that these aren't the 'good ole' days" anymore (some of us).
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
It's all good, I won't love my car any less, nor hate on theirs. I nearly bought the last generation Infiniti M Sport. I personally don't like the new styling of the M, hence I went with the E here. My parents did, however, get the non-Sport version of the M, and it's a great drive.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Mercedes is giving there big V8s and V6s to Nissan, in turn Mercedes gets small motors from Nissan. Nissan is very good with the eco motors. As for the Chassis... iv heard nothing of this so far. But whats the big deal? BMW and Mercedes are also part sharing. Just about every manufaturer is. Its the only way to bring prices down and remain competitive in an ever shrinking world. Look at Toyota for example, the LFA. That car was built from scratch and start to finish by Toyota. All in house development. That car also cost and astonishing $400K and still looks like ____ ( you fill in the blank ). The reason it cost so much is because they had to do and pay for it all themselves. Would you pay that much for it? Even if it looked good. So be happy that they are sharing and keeping cost down. Look at MB pricing now, the lowest its ever been.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trading technology has been going on for decades. Plus you'd be surprised at the amount of stuff that's being rebranded in the world of commerce. And it's only human nature to hope for some exclusivity when paying for a higher priced brand. But then that exclusivity becomes diluted. And disappointment comes when one discovers that they could have had basically the same product for a lot less money. One can end up feeling like a schmuck. There's a reason why logos and brand names are so well protected and coveted.

A prime example (among many) are Leica point and shoot digital cameras. The Leica name and logo is highly respected for German engineering and optical quality. All their point and shoot digital cameras are made by Panasonic. Except for some cosmetics, the Panasonic version is absolutely identical in function to the Leica models (after all it's the same camera.) But the Leica cameras sell for $300-500 more. Yet it's the same product. People buy the Leica because they either don't know this, or they simply want the brand and logo (and trust it.) But their "German" camera is actually designed and built by a Japanese corporation. There's nothing wrong with the Japanese camera, it's an excellent product. But it reflects on the power of a brand and a logo.

Despite the reality of commerce and tech swapping, people end up feeling turned off when they discover that the car they just bought for X dollars more is basically the same as one that costs a lot less, although without a logo on it that carries 'prestige' and history (or mythology.) It's understandable. And it's clearly obvious since we witness most people going out of their way to buy things they feel are unique and set them apart from others. Same reason why people customize and individualize their mass produced common cars.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

To me; it's one thing to share parts, etc. But to share a whole CHASSIS? Of what is supposed to be a Premium car (E-Class), with what is supposed to be a lower segment of car (G-Series) with a competing, yet still "lower" brand (Infinite), is too much. They aren't doing any favors in keeping themselves a Premium automakers (Mercedes), and keeping the E labeled as a Premium car.

Isn't the G a competitor against the C-Class? And can be had for a lot less money than an E-Class?

I hope this Article isn't factual. I haven't heard about this anywhere else.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
To me; it's one thing to share parts, etc. But to share a whole CHASSIS? Of what is supposed to be a Premium car (E-Class), with what is supposed to be a lower segment of car (G-Series) with a competing, yet still "lower" brand (Infinite), is too much. They aren't doing any favors in keeping themselves a Premium automakers (Mercedes), and keeping the E labeled as a Premium car.

Isn't the G a competitor against the C-Class? And can be had for a lot less money than an E-Class?

I hope this Article isn't factual. I haven't heard about this anywhere else.
Here's an official press release, but it's from April 7th.
http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-715...0-0-0-0-0.html

"Each company will pursue future opportunities following the closing of the agreement on the strategic cooperation and the implementation of the first major cooperation projects. These include opportunities to be studied on shared modules and components between Infiniti and Mercedes-Benz vehicles, regional cooperation in the United States, China and Japan between Nissan, Infiniti and Daimler."

"The sharing of gasoline and diesel engines coming from Daimler to Infiniti, the luxury division of Nissan Motor Company, and providing the opportunity for further collaboration."
Old 07-23-2010, 10:14 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Eh, it's unfortunate, but whaddaya gonna do.

I guess the drivers of Rolls Royce Ghosts have to live with the fact that they're driving on a mere 7-Series' Chassis. We Benzers can be peeved about the Nissans next to us using ours, while the Nissans next to us can continue to be peeved that their cars heart and souls are ruined by using Mercedes-Benz chassis'. Everybody wins.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It can be a good move from Nissan. I test drive all E competitors, as 535i, M37s, RL, S80, GS360, XF. I was really disappointed with styling of M, interious design hideous.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
This is the way of the future. Car companies will partner with competitors to reduce R&D costs. In the end, WE are the winners. We get to drive better cars at a lower price.
In Europe the 800 lb gorilla is Volkswagen. Their research cost is spread over many platforms and brands. Smaller companies like MB and BMW will be left in the dust if they don't partner up. C'est la vie!

Last edited by petee1997; 07-24-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:45 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Oh well, roll with the punches I guess.

I still await to see if BMW will do something as drastic as sharing the 5-Series chassis with a lesser car.... I'm not betting on it, i.e IMO what Benz is doing with the E Chassis is still way way out of line. Oh well.

Pretty soon, the term "paying the difference merely for the badge" will be completely literal.... As these will be identical cars, yet with different styling, gimmicks, and badges.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
K-A keep in mind it's the sum of the parts that makes a MB. A person getting heart transplant from an athlete donor does not become an athlete. There are thousands of parts in these cars and sharing a few does not create a clone. You should not lose sleep over this one.