E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Winter Wheels/Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2010 | 09:49 PM

'11 E550 4MATIC, '07 Suzuki SV1000S
Winter Wheels/Tires

So I heard that MB has some special deal going on winter wheel tire packages - trying to get the info and will post when I have something concrete...in the meantime has anyone else heard anything? WOnder if they are looking to blow out the remainder of the 6 spoke AMG wheels...I'd bite if that was the case.

Also, for anyone running aftermarket wheels and winter tire setups - what do you have...I priced out a set of 18" ASA- AR9'swith Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3d's and with tax, shipping and TPMS it was around $2k. Wheels were $140 each on clearance, tires were about $230 each.

So if the MB package is around $2k also (obviously tire choice could be deal breaker)- what would you guys do? Guessing MB would use Continentals - they ranked pretty low in the tire rack surveys 11 and 12 out of 14. Aftermarket wheels (which are decent looking) or MB package?
Old 09-12-2010 | 10:55 AM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
So I heard that MB has some special deal going on winter wheel tire packages - trying to get the info and will post when I have something concrete...in the meantime has anyone else heard anything? WOnder if they are looking to blow out the remainder of the 6 spoke AMG wheels...I'd bite if that was the case.

Also, for anyone running aftermarket wheels and winter tire setups - what do you have...I priced out a set of 18" ASA- AR9'swith Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3d's and with tax, shipping and TPMS it was around $2k. Wheels were $140 each on clearance, tires were about $230 each.

So if the MB package is around $2k also (obviously tire choice could be deal breaker)- what would you guys do? Guessing MB would use Continentals - they ranked pretty low in the tire rack surveys 11 and 12 out of 14. Aftermarket wheels (which are decent looking) or MB package?
J.M. - Let me know what you find out. I have already started researching the exact same thing with after market options. Have heard lots of good thngs about the Bridgestone Blizzaks (winter). Found rims that look identical to the MB twin 6 spoke at (of all places) Pep Boys.
Old 09-12-2010 | 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
Why do you need snow tires with 4Matic?
Unlike the RWD model, your car should be equipped with low profile all season tires. I have found this combination, all season and 4M excellent in snow. Average total Winter snowfall where I live is 9'. I have been quite impressed with the Winter performance.

Last edited by petee1997; 09-12-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2010 | 01:18 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by petee1997
Unlike the RWD model, your car should be equipped with low profile all season tires. I have found this combination, all season and 4M excellent in snow. Average total Winter snowfall where I live is 9'. I have been quite impressed with the Winter performance.
That would be nice...everyone I talked to said to get a separate rack of snow tires. I hope you are right...we had a record snow fall last year 40+ inches and I live on a steep hill. Don't feel like bailing out and leaving my car in the woods.
Old 09-12-2010 | 02:10 PM

Snow Tires

Originally Posted by petee1997
Pete,

good question and had I not found myself asking that very same thing this past winter in my GL this wouldn't even be a consideration...The "all-season" pieces of crap Goodyear runflats that came on my GL were absolute JUNK!. I got stuck down the street from my house (I do live at the top of a very big hill), in about 6-8 inches of snow. The GL should have handle that easily and it didn't, so given that my son plays a winter sport, I have no choice but to err on the side of caution and equip the vehicle appropriately...last thing I want to do is be driving 5 hours up to Lake Placid for a hockey tourney and get stuck. But appreciate the insight...you guys are more used to it up there anyway and I've been to Toronto in the winter and seen the snow melting trucks in action...we don't have that here.
Old 09-12-2010 | 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
You may be right that the wild card is snow removal equipment. As I stated previously the 4Matics without snow have performed well for me. Would four Dunlop snow tires and 4Matic make it better, most definitely.

Last edited by petee1997; 09-12-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2010 | 08:36 PM

2010 E550 4matic, 2008 MDX, 2011 335i Vert
did great in last years snowfall in westchester ny in my 4matic's stock all season tires. that said - if I had to go to lake placid a lot in the dead of winter - I might get winter tires too!!
Old 09-14-2010 | 10:01 PM

Pete,

good question and had I not found myself asking that very same thing this past winter in my GL this wouldn't even be a consideration...The "all-season" pieces of crap Goodyear runflats that came on my GL were absolute JUNK!. I got stuck down the street from my house (I do live at the top of a very big hill), in about 6-8 inches of snow. The GL should have handle that easily and it didn't, so given that my son plays a winter sport, I have no choice but to err on the side of caution and equip the vehicle appropriately...last thing I want to do is be driving 5 hours up to Lake Placid for a hockey tourney and get stuck. But appreciate the insight...you guys are more used to it up there anyway and I've been to Toronto in the winter and seen the snow melting trucks in action...we don't have that here.
JM- I am in the same situation. We did the Can Am hockey tourney in Lake Placid the last two yeras in a row. Awesome time. Gnarly ride on iffy tires however. I don't mine going for a second set...it'll just give my original low profiles more lifespan. Good luck....stay at the Crown or Adrindack Inn (right accross from Hockey Central).
BPhilly
Old 09-14-2010 | 11:02 PM

Hockey

Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
JM- I am in the same situation. We did the Can Am hockey tourney in Lake Placid the last two yeras in a row. Awesome time. Gnarly ride on iffy tires however. I don't mine going for a second set...it'll just give my original low profiles more lifespan. Good luck....stay at the Crown or Adrindack Inn (right accross from Hockey Central).
BPhilly
Thanks, this will be our 3rd year up at Can/Am - we try to stay at the Crown every time - gets tough gotta book for the following year during the current tourney...we do every other year at Can/Am with our non-state bound team. What year player is your son? We play in Philly quite a bit, although this year not so much. (assuming that's where you are from your screen name).
Old 09-15-2010 | 04:19 PM

Thanks, this will be our 3rd year up at Can/Am - we try to stay at the Crown every time - gets tough gotta book for the following year during the current tourney...we do every other year at Can/Am with our non-state bound team. What year player is your son? We play in Philly quite a bit, although this year not so much. (assuming that's where you are from your screen name).
I've got a '96. Playing 6 days/nights a week right now on two teams.
Best of luck...see you at the rink .
B...(from Philly)