Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by kingofire
Great observation! You are 100% correct. The only real bad things about luxury cars with all wheel drive is the fact that the ride is not as glassy smooth as it should be on a luxury car.

The car that comes to mind is the Lexus GS350 AWD. Tons of people on the ClubLexus forum have jumped ship because they can't take the vibrations that it ripples thru the cabin. This is a combination of the Idemitsu(I believe) design and Lexus drivers being spoiled with perfect smooth ride.

For the people who have the 4matic, pay close attention to your steering when you first start driving the car cold. Between 30-40mph there will be a subtle vibration that is caused by the differential whirring cold.

K-A great observation!
Thanks!

That's too bad, but I guess everything has its trade offs. I'm sure at some point, they'll engineer it to have that lack of extra vibration.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I have driven GS350 RWD, no vibration and car was really smooth from 0 to 70. I had only one AWD car expereince, it was A6 and I really didn't like stability at highway speed, too much attention to steering, perhaps you can use to, but after RWD I had feel really tensed.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
Originally Posted by kingofire
The car that comes to mind is the Lexus GS350 AWD. Tons of people on the ClubLexus forum have jumped ship because they can't take the vibrations that it ripples thru the cabin. This is a combination of the Idemitsu(I believe) design and Lexus drivers being spoiled with perfect smooth ride.
I'm one of those ship jumpers. For me, the ride was crummy on everything but dead smooth pavement but it was the creaks, groans, and rattles that turn me sour on the car. Cold weather on a bumpy road was like riding in a milk truck. Never really noticed a vibration from the AWD, though.

The E350 is an order of magnitude quieter than the Lexus was. I have no regrets.