E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Media Interface PLUS while driving!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A6/E350 4-mATIC
Media Interface PLUS while driving!

Im interested in installing the new media interface plus for my new E350.
Does some sort of option exist where I can get the video to cont. playing while the car is in motion!?

Please advice!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63
I just placed an order for the SmartTV DVD/TV IN MOTION from mods4cars.cpm, I will let you know if it works. From the website:
TVHBMZ1 is the professional TV and DVD unblocker for new Mercedes Models. Note: Not a video input. Allows existing TV-/DVD- Equipment to be operated by the passenger!

http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/inde...ode=view&id=58
Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 AM

2021 E450 4matic
The start page of MBWorld had a post about it today. I wanna know how to make it work. I have the media interface, but I'd like to know how to hook it up so I can get Pandora, texts, etc from my Blackberry
Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 AM

2010 E550W4
I got my MIP box today. I can't get it to work at all on my 2010 E550. The dealer said it would work, but the message I get in the Media Interface screen is "Device Incompatible."

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Turns out it is my iPod Classic (latest Gen) that seems to be the problem. When I unplug the iPod from the MIP, it boots up just fine. When I plug in my iPhone 4, it works fine.

Last edited by jschmidt1340; 10-21-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:38 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
I'd like to know how we can encourage fewer distractions while driving our expensive
cars around the roads and streets of our countries.......
anyone ever accidentally kill someone else with their car?
it happens all the time......

just saying
Old 10-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 e
I just got MIP and installed it on my new E212. Frankly a waste of money. The directions are almost impossible to decipher and, in the end, the only useful feature is Bluetooth Audio streaming.

Some useful notes:

1. iPod/iPhone video on the screen DOES NOT WORK if you have the rear camera as the rear camera uses the AUX port of the COMMAND radio. That info is nowhere to be found in the directions; just an obscure not in the actual COMMAND manual that comes with the car which says you can't get AUX video if you have a rear camera. I'm guessing most new E212's have the camera making this "feature" unusable.
2. Pandora is interesting but, if you have satellite (again on all E212's) then the pandora feature is redundant and subject to more outage (out of 3g range, etc.) than the sat.
3. Bluetooth audio works but what a hassle. This was the main reason I bought the MIP as I wanted to be able to easily play music on my iphone without having to connect it in the glovebox. This feature does work but, unlike when you connect your ipod/iphone to the cable and can see/select tracks, when connected by Bluetooth, you don't get any of that date on the command screen. Realistically, you have to select the music you want to play on your actual ipad/iphone screen then chose to stream it via Bluetooth. It works but not nearly as elegant a solution as I'd hoped.
4. Phonebook - IMHO, "so what" - you can do this with the already built-in bluetooth capability of the COMMAND system. I haven't yet figured out the benefit of this feature for new E class vehicles
5. SMS reading - still trying to figure this one out.
6. Although the directions talk about needing to first "authorize" the unit, this is not needed for the new model vehicles. That's in the directions but it's not very clear what this means.

All in all, I've spent 3 hours with this thing today and the "hype" was far better than the "reality". My 2 cents.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:11 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by zevrosenthal
I just got MIP and installed it on my new E212. Frankly a waste of money. The directions are almost impossible to decipher and, in the end, the only useful feature is Bluetooth Audio streaming.

Some useful notes:

1. iPod/iPhone video on the screen DOES NOT WORK if you have the rear camera as the rear camera uses the AUX port of the COMMAND radio. That info is nowhere to be found in the directions; just an obscure not in the actual COMMAND manual that comes with the car which says you can't get AUX video if you have a rear camera. I'm guessing most new E212's have the camera making this "feature" unusable.
2. Pandora is interesting but, if you have satellite (again on all E212's) then the pandora feature is redundant and subject to more outage (out of 3g range, etc.) than the sat.
3. Bluetooth audio works but what a hassle. This was the main reason I bought the MIP as I wanted to be able to easily play music on my iphone without having to connect it in the glovebox. This feature does work but, unlike when you connect your ipod/iphone to the cable and can see/select tracks, when connected by Bluetooth, you don't get any of that date on the command screen. Realistically, you have to select the music you want to play on your actual ipad/iphone screen then chose to stream it via Bluetooth. It works but not nearly as elegant a solution as I'd hoped.
4. Phonebook - IMHO, "so what" - you can do this with the already built-in bluetooth capability of the COMMAND system. I haven't yet figured out the benefit of this feature for new E class vehicles
5. SMS reading - still trying to figure this one out.
6. Although the directions talk about needing to first "authorize" the unit, this is not needed for the new model vehicles. That's in the directions but it's not very clear what this means.

All in all, I've spent 3 hours with this thing today and the "hype" was far better than the "reality". My 2 cents.
Thanks for saving me the time and effort
Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 PM

MB E250 Coupe CDI
Originally Posted by KonradE63
I just placed an order for the SmartTV DVD/TV IN MOTION from mods4cars.cpm, I will let you know if it works. From the website:
TVHBMZ1 is the professional TV and DVD unblocker for new Mercedes Models. Note: Not a video input. Allows existing TV-/DVD- Equipment to be operated by the passenger!

Hi Konrad,
Please post immediately after you install this device. The installation looks simple as you do not have to touch the command system and only go into the foot well of the vehicle. Let us know how simple it was to install. Also would like to know that after it is activated and video is displayed while moving, do the top and bottom menu bars on the screen disappear. I live in Australia and intend to install this in an E Coupe. Should be the same as sedan but on the left side of vehicle.
Regards
PL
Old 10-23-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 e
Having lived with the MIP a few more days, I'm liking it a wee bit better. When I get into the car and start it, it remembers where the music left off and can use the command wheel to move forward/backward between songs but you don't get any details on the songs on the command screen; just simple last song/next song.

Still no idea on how to get the SMS reading to work. If anybody else does, please let me know!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 AM

E350
Originally Posted by zevrosenthal

Still no idea on how to get the SMS reading to work. If anybody else does, please let me know!
I don't think this is ready yet. According to the illustration on the MB website, it will be a further software update in Q1, 2011
Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 PM

2010 E63
Originally Posted by Plang1
Hi Konrad,
Please post immediately after you install this device. The installation looks simple as you do not have to touch the command system and only go into the foot well of the vehicle. Let us know how simple it was to install. Also would like to know that after it is activated and video is displayed while moving, do the top and bottom menu bars on the screen disappear. I live in Australia and intend to install this in an E Coupe. Should be the same as sedan but on the left side of vehicle.
Regards
PL
PL,
I did the install of the device today. I had a minor complication on the wiring, and in hindsight the instructions could use some improvement, but IT WORKS!!! DVD video (for the passengers of course) while you are driving as advertised. I have yet to figure out how to turn the function on and off as they advertise. Other than that it is good! Check out a demo on a W212 car at

Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 PM

MB E250 Coupe CDI
PL,
I did the install of the device today. I had a minor complication on the wiring, and in hindsight the instructions could use some improvement, but IT WORKS!!! DVD video (for the passengers of course) while you are driving as advertised. I have yet to figure out how to turn the function on and off as they advertise. Other than that it is good! Check out a demo on a W212 car at

Hi Again,

Thanks for the quick responce. Now I need to work out how to get one to Australia.
Do the the top and bottom menu bars on the screen for selecting track disappear after a few seconds. This is not shown in the video link as ste camera pans to the stearing wheel. Hopfully you can turn the unit on and off via the steering wheel control as shown. When on I believe the navigation will not work. Do you have nav on your vehicle?
Regards
PL
Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 PM

2010 E63
Originally Posted by Plang1
Hi Again,

Thanks for the quick responce. Now I need to work out how to get one to Australia.
Do the the top and bottom menu bars on the screen for selecting track disappear after a few seconds. This is not shown in the video link as ste camera pans to the stearing wheel. Hopfully you can turn the unit on and off via the steering wheel control as shown. When on I believe the navigation will not work. Do you have nav on your vehicle?
Regards
PL
PL,
The top and bottom menu bars disappear after a few seconds and I have not noticed any interference with my navigation. Works as advertised. It seems you need to get the timing right to turn the system on and off. It is advertised that when you do turn the system off, the entire SmartTV is bypassed and unnoticed. I noticed they have a dealer in Australia, however their specialty is Porsches.
Good luck!
K

Last edited by KonradE63; 10-29-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: missed some stuff
Old 11-06-2010, 04:30 PM

GLK 350, C300
Hey guys I just bought this thing today.. However I can't get pandora to work for hell of me.. Everything else seems to work but pandora seems like its playing. I get name of the song, timer and station, but I do not hear any audio.. Streaming works fine, phonebook contacts work fine however that's a whole other issues..
Old 11-07-2010, 11:58 AM

2010 E350, 2010 GMC 2500HD
KonradE63 I just ordered the mod4cars module from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product but as I was reading the instructions I noticed it talks about tapping an unlock button on the factory remote??? I dont have a factory remote, I also noticed you said the instructions need some modifications so if you could do a small write up on what you learned during your install I would greatly appreciate it. Lastly, does this mod allow you to enter addresses into the navi while the vehicle is in motion?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 PM

2010 E63
Originally Posted by jinx420hat
KonradE63 I just ordered the mod4cars module from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product but as I was reading the instructions I noticed it talks about tapping an unlock button on the factory remote??? I dont have a factory remote, I also noticed you said the instructions need some modifications so if you could do a small write up on what you learned during your install I would greatly appreciate it. Lastly, does this mod allow you to enter addresses into the navi while the vehicle is in motion?

Jinx,
The tapping of the remote is to reset the car's electric system. I believe this can be accomplished by putting your key from off to the accessory position each time. The remote is just a convenience.

As PL would attest to, the instructions are not entirely inclusive for our cars, and I believe it is because we both have a rear view camera.

The challenge that I had (and I believe PL did as well) is that there is more than one pair of wires that will shut down the system (a qualifier to use them in the connection), in fact in my car there were 2 pairs of wires that qualified. One pair worked, the other did not. At worst you try one, then the other in the installation. From my experience if the wire pair is not in the middle of the harness block, it is not likely to be the right one.
I plan on writing a note to mods4cars asking them to update their installation procedure. I think this is only a problem with cars equipped with a rear view camera. Once you locate the correct pair of brown/brown-red wires, the installation is a breeze. Make sure you have the right tools, especially a very small screw driver (like the one to repair glasses) and a set of pliers.

hope this helps!

Cheers,
Konrad
Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM

2010 E63
Originally Posted by darko00
Hey guys I just bought this thing today.. However I can't get pandora to work for hell of me.. Everything else seems to work but pandora seems like its playing. I get name of the song, timer and station, but I do not hear any audio.. Streaming works fine, phonebook contacts work fine however that's a whole other issues..
Mine works intermittently...Sometimes it makes a connection, sometimes it does not. Sometimes the audio streaming works, some times it does not. Pandora only works if i launch it on my iPhone and cheat the system into thinking it is streaming audio. It would be interesting to note what software version you are running on your media interface plus. I will check mine and post later.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:35 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Mine works intermittently...Sometimes it makes a connection, sometimes it does not. Sometimes the audio streaming works, some times it does not. Pandora only works if i launch it on my iPhone and cheat the system into thinking it is streaming audio. It would be interesting to note what software version you are running on your media interface plus. I will check mine and post later.
Correct me if I am wrong...this device doesnt interfere with normal i-Pod funcionality, does it?
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 PM

2010 E63
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
Correct me if I am wrong...this device doesnt interfere with normal i-Pod funcionality, does it?
Thanks.
Not that I am aware of. This module has a "bypass" mode as well that you can activate by pressing buttons on your steering wheel. The manufacturer claims that in this mode the module is not detectable.

Konrad
Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 AM

2010 E350, 2010 GMC 2500HD
Thanks for the info Konrad, are u able to input addresses into the navi while the vehicle is in motion?