E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
For me, I only find Xenon, Keyless Go, and Truck Opener are worth mentioning when you are looking at the P2 package...

Get over it, technology is getting better and better by the days. And you should happy that MB engineers are busy R/D the next best possible tech or gadgetry for your next MBs.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I always thought keyless go meant remote start, but I have learned that MB will not install a remote start where I live, my SA said in her '6 years' she's never seen it done.....despite the fact that I have seen them on here......can anyone confirm?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I always thought keyless go meant remote start, but I have learned that MB will not install a remote start where I live, my SA said in her '6 years' she's never seen it done.....despite the fact that I have seen them on here......can anyone confirm?
My dealer in NY does it...for $1,500 ....
Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic
I am going to be replacing my factory D1S bulbs to the Philips Ultinon 6000K Xenstart bulbs.
http://suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=322
Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Maddic
For me, I only find Xenon, Keyless Go, and Truck Opener are worth mentioning when you are looking at the P2 package...

Get over it, technology is getting better and better by the days. And you should happy that MB engineers are busy R/D the next best possible tech or gadgetry for your next MBs.
I kind of agree, it's tough to always have the latest and newest items....
there will always be that next tier to ascend to..
but then again I am an unexperienced MB driver and this is only my
first.....
Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Q7
I kind of agree, it's tough to always have the latest and newest items....
there will always be that next tier to ascend to..
but then again I am an unexperienced MB driver and this is only my
first.....
Oh I totally agree with that, but what I told me dealer, waiting 30 days to get a lighting system that is 20% brighter than current (even if current is great) is worth it for me in trying to see deer.

Now, although he said the build date could not change, he was willling to install the new system once the dealer gets the parts.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by kingofire
I am going to be replacing my factory D1S bulbs to the Philips Ultinon 6000K Xenstart bulbs.
http://suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=322

6k will give you more a bluish (brighter looking) color but the downside is the lower lumens (actual brightness perceived by the eye.)

The lumens on the Phillips Ultinon 6k is around 2,400 lumens. The warmer OEM 4.3k D1S is around 3,200 lumens. These new Osrams are professing to provide a 5k color whiter look than the current D1S bulbs but still with the high lumens (brightness.)

Always a trade off on color (the look) versus actual brightness. 6k, 8k, etc., might seem brighter but of course aren't in respect to measured lumens (which is really a measurement of luminous flux, or the sensitivity of light to the human eye, rather than plain power output as measured in watts.)
Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM

^^Yeah, I hear what you are saying. On paper it seems that you are sacrificing brightness and visibility for a whiter color.
The only problem though is that in real life, the Philips Ultinon 6K's have always given me more visibility and brightness. Dunno how its possible but it really has.
I verified this with my dad too. I had the Ultinons in my Acura TL and before the car was bought back I lined it up with the MB E350 side by side and asked my dad which has better visibility. He picked the Acura with the Ultinons. I have verified this with countless friends and the same results. I can't tell you why this is but it just is.
I love the Ultinons because it gives me that crisp white light with a purple hue from 20 feet away. I can't tell you how many times I have been asked about the lights when I stop by a drive-thru businesses. I get a lot of did those lights come with the car comments. They are expensive than the rest of the aftermarket bulbs but they are worth every penny.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Well, according to the "Dash Z" banner at the bottom of this page, fittingly and conveniently showing different level of HID bulbs, I don't mind the 5000K range. As long as it's a Xenon/HID unit, then it's all good to me. I'm just glad to not have halogens on this car.

At the same time, I HATE Xenons that are so bright, they practically blind you, I want to get out and kick the cars a$$ that's irritating my eyes. So 5000K always seemed like a conscious move by M-B, as they're always very safety oriented and engineer accordingly.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kingofire
^^Yeah, I hear what you are saying. On paper it seems that you are sacrificing brightness and visibility for a whiter color.
The only problem though is that in real life, the Philips Ultinon 6K's have always given me more visibility and brightness. Dunno how its possible but it really has.
I verified this with my dad too. I had the Ultinons in my Acura TL and before the car was bought back I lined it up with the MB E350 side by side and asked my dad which has better visibility. He picked the Acura with the Ultinons. I have verified this with countless friends and the same results. I can't tell you why this is but it just is.
I love the Ultinons because it gives me that crisp white light with a purple hue from 20 feet away. I can't tell you how many times I have been asked about the lights when I stop by a drive-thru businesses. I get a lot of did those lights come with the car comments. They are expensive than the rest of the aftermarket bulbs but they are worth every penny.
In respect to the comparison between the Acura and the MB, I'd venture to say that what one is seeing is the difference in projectors. The MB projectors are not nearly as nice as Porsche, Audi, or BMW (can't speak for Acura as I've never owned one personally.) That's no doubt why you saw such a difference between the Acura and MB.

Here's a MBWorld post by a Honda/Acura owner: https://mbworld.org/forums/4327131-post10.html

They see the difference, too. The problem with MBs is that it's not simply a bulb issue. It's the projector itself. There have been numerous posts about this on MBWorld over the past years.

On the other hand, I personally don't like the purple/blue look as it's too Ricer in my book. Plus so many pick up trucks drive around with purple lamps. But that's all totally subjective of course.

p.s., K-A: the current HID bulbs are 4300k.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I wonder where I heard 5000. Does that even exist?

About the purple-blues, so many ricers get them as aftermarket, I usually don't think it's even OEM when I see them on a high end car. I like a hyper-whiter crisp look, with just a smidge of a blue tint (mostly a by-product of a crisp white).
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
I wonder where I heard 5000. Does that even exist?

About the purple-blues, so many ricers get them as aftermarket, I usually don't think it's even OEM when I see them on a high end car. I like a hyper-whiter crisp look, with just a smidge of a blue tint (mostly a by-product of a crisp white).
Yeah, they exist. It's just that the OEM MB ones are 4300k (as are many of the manufacturers.) I have a Gossen color meter (for checking lights; I used to work as a best boy for a couple of years) and I measured mine. Between both my lamps, one of mine is off by around 1.5k.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by 220S
In respect to the comparison between the Acura and the MB, I'd venture to say that what one is seeing is the difference in projectors. The MB projectors are not nearly as nice as Porsche, Audi, or BMW (can't speak for Acura as I've never owned one personally.) That's no doubt why you saw such a difference between the Acura and MB.

Here's a MBWorld post by a Honda/Acura owner: https://mbworld.org/forums/4327131-post10.html

They see the difference, too. The problem with MBs is that it's not simply a bulb issue. It's the projector itself. There have been numerous posts about this on MBWorld over the past years.

On the other hand, I personally don't like the purple/blue look as it's too Ricer in my book. Plus so many pick up trucks drive around with purple lamps. But that's all totally subjective of course.

p.s., K-A: the current HID bulbs are 4300k.
220S, I understand. I have compared my Acura TL with another one as we all agreed that the Ultinons were better in this respect.

I think you have the wrong idea of the Ultinons when it comes to ricer look. It outputs only a hint of purple and you can't even tell from a distance that they are aftermarket. It looks normal hid's from a distance. When you get closer to around 30 feet you can just see a purple hue in the air look. What I term ricer are the ones that you see just "blue" lights in the dark when they are far away. Its like letting the whole world know that he/she is coming down the road riced out.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:04 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
my lights are plenty bright right now.....how much brighter should they be??
Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 PM

my lights are plenty bright right now.....how much brighter should they be??
Its more the throw of the light. For some reason the Ultinon's throw more light but in reality it should less per written specifications. I have had countless people verify this when at car meets and such with my cars. I have been using the ultinons since gosh 2004 and what a difference. You have to see it in person to believe it.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

fwiw, here's the HID forum equivalent of BTOG.
hidplanet.com

There's a sticky about the difference in projectors, too.

If anyone is curious here's a good thread about the issues with the blue and reduced lumen bulbs and specifically about the Ultinons: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ips+Ultinon+6K

As I mentioned earlier, I was in set lighting for several years on feature films and I have my own knowledge and my own biases about lights. My knowledge is pretty extensive but the issue of "which capsules should I use in my HIDs" gets way too subjective and out of my sphere of concern.

But I'm personally interested in pure white light and highest lumen output for my own car. Bluish bulbs are not the way to go for numerous reasons, imho. We'll have to see what MB comes up with. New projectors and/or white DOT approved Osrams with more lumens? Or just more marketing and no real substance? I hope it's the former.