Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

FINALLY!

 
Old 10-28-2010, 07:54 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
220S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,336
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Thumbs up FINALLY!

This is good news. One big complaint that many people have about Mercedes are the weak Xenon lamps. I have HID adaptive headlamps on my MB but they aren't nearly as bright as my BMW or any other modern car I've owned. I find it to be a real weak spot in MBs. I've been thinking about replacing the ballast and lamps (although don't want to face throwing any codes.) But it looks like these new ballasts and bulbs are also going to be available to retrofit existing cars. Finally!!!!!

Announced by Daimler AG today:

"Achieving light colour which is as close as possible to daylight is one of the biggest safety benefits in the field of headlamp technology. Mercedes-Benz is now one of the first automotive manufacturers to offer xenon headlamps boasting a significantly brighter light output.

From December, production of the E-Class and S-Class will make use of new xenon burners from the company Osram, featuring a colour temperature which has been increased by some 20 percent.

Achieving a figure of 5000 Kelvin, the new xenon light is even closer to daylight and is therefore even brighter – a clear innovation, in the true sense of the phrase.

This light colour is in keeping with normal human perception patterns, and as such conveys an impression of greater brightness to the eyes, thus reducing the strain on the driver. Studies have shown that the closer the colour of artificial light comes to daylight, the less the strain on the eyes. This is a crucial safety benefit, especially if we take into account that only 20 percent of journeys take place at night – yet it is when 40 percent of fatal accidents occur.

After the E-Class and the S-Class, further Mercedes-Benz model series will be gradually fitted with the new xenon burners in 2011. All previous Mercedes-Benz vehicles equipped with xenon headlamps can also be fitted with this additional safety feature, as the new xenon burners will be available from branches and dealers as Mercedes-Benz original parts."
220S is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:51 PM
  #2  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Great, now another thing they're upgrading from the P2 Package that makes those of us who got it before '11/'12 nice n screwed! After the daytime LED's being standard in '11, and the HID's being upgraded now, looks like I'm paying only for an auto trunk closer and Keyless Go with that extra $3K or whatever more it costed.

I wonder how much they'll charge to buy and install it at an M-B Dealer? Any info on that?
K-A is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 181
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Q7
Originally Posted by 220S View Post
This is good news. One big complaint that many people have about Mercedes are the weak Xenon lamps. I have HID adaptive headlamps on my MB but they aren't nearly as bright as my BMW or any other modern car I've owned. I find it to be a real weak spot in MBs. I've been thinking about replacing the ballast and lamps (although don't want to face throwing any codes.) But it looks like these new ballasts and bulbs are also going to be available to retrofit existing cars. Finally!!!!!

Announced by Daimler AG today:

"Achieving light colour which is as close as possible to daylight is one of the biggest safety benefits in the field of headlamp technology. Mercedes-Benz is now one of the first automotive manufacturers to offer xenon headlamps boasting a significantly brighter light output.

From December, production of the E-Class and S-Class will make use of new xenon burners from the company Osram, featuring a colour temperature which has been increased by some 20 percent.

Achieving a figure of 5000 Kelvin, the new xenon light is even closer to daylight and is therefore even brighter a clear innovation, in the true sense of the phrase.

This light colour is in keeping with normal human perception patterns, and as such conveys an impression of greater brightness to the eyes, thus reducing the strain on the driver. Studies have shown that the closer the colour of artificial light comes to daylight, the less the strain on the eyes. This is a crucial safety benefit, especially if we take into account that only 20 percent of journeys take place at night yet it is when 40 percent of fatal accidents occur.

After the E-Class and the S-Class, further Mercedes-Benz model series will be gradually fitted with the new xenon burners in 2011. All previous Mercedes-Benz vehicles equipped with xenon headlamps can also be fitted with this additional safety feature, as the new xenon burners will be available from branches and dealers as Mercedes-Benz original parts."

Wow, just ordered my E class this week. Not sure when it will be in the production run, but doubt it will be December. Glad I saw this now so I can tell my salesman to hold off for the December run.

THANKS!!!!!!!
Zinny is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nada
This really blows... My car came out of production today!! Well it is not like I would have waited for this.. But if they are including this at the same price it sure sucks!
JhonnyLever is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aeggroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,741
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
2015 Audi A8L TDI, 2016 Range Rover TD6
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Great, now another thing they're upgrading from the P2 Package that makes those of us who got it before '11/'12 nice n screwed! After the daytime LED's being standard in '11, and the HID's being upgraded now, looks like I'm paying only for an auto trunk closer and Keyless Go with that extra $3K or whatever more it costed.
Hey..don't take it too seriously....especially when you leasing and I remember you are. Every year every manufacture trying to change something to atract new people to the product...plus technology going forward adding new options and features. Just enjoy your car and wait for the end of lease .....yea...and don't put 87 gas in your tank )) LOL

Last edited by aeggroup; 10-28-2010 at 10:06 PM.
aeggroup is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 181
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Q7
Originally Posted by JhonnyLever View Post
This really blows... My car came out of production today!! Well it is not like I would have waited for this.. But if they are including this at the same price it sure sucks!
If you are willing to wait, do you think your salesman would let you wait until the December run?
Zinny is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:59 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nada
Is there a link for this press release?
JhonnyLever is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 10:11 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
220S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,336
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by JhonnyLever View Post
Is there a link for this press release?
Try this: http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-9...=1288318131004

There are two before and after pictures. There's a marked difference between these new HIDs and the old HIDs.

Edit: JhonnyLever, since these can be retrofitted later, I'd have your dealer cut a deal for you to get them installed after you get your car.
Attached Thumbnails FINALLY!-802399_1473783_400_300_10c1081_03.jpg   FINALLY!-802397_1473778_400_300_10c1081_02.jpg  

Last edited by 220S; 10-28-2010 at 10:18 PM.
220S is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Dema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,677
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i535
I expect LED headlight as Audi has. It seems Audi is a leader in automotive lighting. Generally I am satisfied with current HID lights, however I do not mind any improvements.
Dema is offline  
Old 10-29-2010, 04:08 AM
  #10  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by aeggroup View Post
Hey..don't take it too seriously....especially when you leasing and I remember you are. Every year every manufacture trying to change something to atract new people to the product...plus technology going forward adding new options and features. Just enjoy your car and wait for the end of lease .....yea...and don't put 87 gas in your tank )) LOL
LOL.

Yeah, I'll just live with it, this is what we get for being impatient and buying our cars early in the life-cycle. If I ever end up buying the car after the Lease, then I guess I have a mod to do.

All in all, considering 98% of these cars have halogens on them, we'll still have an up.

M-B's Xenons have always been noticeably weaker than other makers. Crazy that it took them so long to get this done. On the flip side, I assumed it might be one of M-B's "superior and efficient" engineering points as to why our Xenon's aren't as flagrant as others.... To be honest, when I have a Range Rover, or Bimmer, etc. in front-and-facing or right behind me, the lights **** me off because they're WAY too bright. Enough to be considered a problem regarding other drivers' visions being hampered by them.
K-A is offline  
Old 10-29-2010, 04:22 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
220S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,336
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A View Post

M-B's Xenons have always been noticeably weaker than other makers. Crazy that it took them so long to get this done. On the flip side, I assumed it might be one of M-B's "superior and efficient" engineering points as to why our Xenon's aren't as flagrant as others.... To be honest, when I have a Range Rover, or Bimmer, etc. in front-and-facing or right behind me, the lights **** me off because they're WAY too bright. Enough to be considered a problem regarding other drivers' visions being hampered by them.
It's primarily the projector design. All stock OEM bulbs are uncoated 4300K bulbs, afaik. MB projectors just aren't as cool (maybe the material used) or reflect as much brightness. A 4300k bulb in a BMW or Porsche looks cooler and brighter.

These are apparently a breakthrough because they'll be 5000k daylight but still uncoated. Those 5, 6, 8, 10k bulbs out there now are all coated but which also reduces light output. These will be bright but I'll guess that the (weak) MB projector design means they won't be obnoxious. At least they won't look ricer blue.
220S is offline  
Old 10-29-2010, 06:59 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aeggroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,741
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
2015 Audi A8L TDI, 2016 Range Rover TD6
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
LOL.

To be honest, when I have a Range Rover, or Bimmer, etc. in front-and-facing or right behind me, the lights **** me off because they're WAY too bright. Enough to be considered a problem regarding other drivers' visions being hampered by them.
I'm not good with all those "sophisticated numbers" that tell you how powerful the bulb is, but my other car is BMW X5 with HID Xenon lights and I like MB lights better...I think they are brighter.
aeggroup is offline  
Old 10-29-2010, 12:12 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 181
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Q7
Anyone know if there is a retrofit option?
Zinny is offline  
Old 10-29-2010, 04:33 PM
  #14  
Member
 
reckrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 170
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350 4matic
Originally Posted by aeggroup View Post
I'm not good with all those "sophisticated numbers" that tell you how powerful the bulb is, but my other car is BMW X5 with HID Xenon lights and I like MB lights better...I think they are brighter.
The lights in my E350 are definately brighter than the ones in the 2008 Lexus GS that I traded in.
reckrab is offline  
Old 10-29-2010, 06:05 PM
  #15  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I have a feeling the new ones might possibly go more toward that "blueish" color, with 5000K bulbs, than the current, warmer-whites?
K-A is offline  
Old 10-29-2010, 06:30 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 181
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Q7
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I have a feeling the new ones might possibly go more toward that "blueish" color, with 5000K bulbs, than the current, warmer-whites?
Spoke with the dealer, my E550 is already in the que to be manufactured and they cannot delay. However, they are designed to be retro fitted and they are going to swap out my lights out before I take delivery. Now the question will be HOW MUCH for this option. I am betting $1,000.

For me, I do not care what color they are, I live in the sticks and 20% more light means I can see deer all the better!

Last edited by Zinny; 10-29-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Zinny is offline  
Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 PM
  #17  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah, "how much" is what I'm wondering as well.

My cars light output is more than fine for me though, as I do mostly city driving, but I guess brighter couldn't hurt (me).

If it's $200 for the upgrade, I'll consider. If not, looks like I'll be living with my "mid-range" W212 lights (better than the Halogens / Less than the 2nd Gen HID's).
K-A is offline  
Old 11-01-2010, 05:41 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 40
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
07 CLK 350 gone...... 10 E350
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Great, now another thing they're upgrading from the P2 Package that makes those of us who got it before '11/'12 nice n screwed! After the daytime LED's being standard in '11, and the HID's being upgraded now, looks like I'm paying only for an auto trunk closer and Keyless Go with that extra $3K or whatever more it costed.

I wonder how much they'll charge to buy and install it at an M-B Dealer? Any info on that?
I feel the same way... I paid 3K more for trunk closer and keylessgo... wtf...haha
gichundo is offline  
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 PM
  #19  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
LOL. That's kind of BS. We're not even talking of cars that are out of production, or have been face-lifted, or have even been out for more than 1 freakin' year!

The LED's and HID's were the biggest selling point to the P2 for me, now that they're half-assed superior to the P1, I guess we have the most expensive Keyless-Go's and Trunk Closers out there.
K-A is offline  
Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aeggroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,741
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
2015 Audi A8L TDI, 2016 Range Rover TD6
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
The LED's and HID's were the biggest selling point to the P2 for me, now that they're half-assed superior to the P1, I guess we have the most expensive Keyless-Go's and Trunk Closers out there.
I don't understand guys what are you talking about. Just checked MB USA website and tried to build E350. LED and HID lights are still the part of P2 package only. Why do I have to beleive you and not to beleive MB USA ?


Premium 2 Package

- Includes Premium 1 Package ??????????????????????????????????????
aeggroup is offline  
Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
220S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,336
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by aeggroup View Post
I don't understand guys what are you talking about. Just checked MB USA website and tried to build E350. LED and HID lights are still the part of P2 package only. Why do I have to beleive you and not to beleive MB USA ?


Premium 2 Package

- Includes Premium 1 Package ??????????????????????????????????????
You simply missed what this thread is all about. Read the Daimler press release in the very first post....

"From December, production of the E-Class and S-Class will make use of new xenon burners from the company Osram, featuring a colour temperature which has been increased by some 20 percent."
220S is offline  
Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aeggroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,741
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
2015 Audi A8L TDI, 2016 Range Rover TD6
Originally Posted by 220S View Post
You simply missed what this thread is all about. Read the Daimler press release in the very first post....

"From December, production of the E-Class and S-Class will make use of new xenon burners from the company Osram, featuring a colour temperature which has been increased by some 20 percent."
Thanks...I got it now....but K-A said ( at least I got it like that ) LED and HID will be on all cars....sorry if I got it wrongly. I, personally, do not care at all...aS long as it's new and reliable I like it
aeggroup is offline  
Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 PM
  #23  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by aeggroup View Post
Thanks...I got it now....but K-A said ( at least I got it like that ) LED and HID will be on all cars....sorry if I got it wrongly. I, personally, do not care at all...aS long as it's new and reliable I like it
No, sorry to confuse.

I meant that, for one, the LED's that were exclusive to P2 were one of the aspects of P2 that I paid more for, and HID's were also another. HID's are still not gonna be on the regular P1 cars, but my point was that now even our HID's aren't the "premier" HID's. They're kind of a middle-ground in the W212's light offerings.

Oh well. I still have my trunk closer.... They can never take that away from me!
K-A is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
lyjw88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 322
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
C63s ED1 Coupe
so are they just upgrading the D1S bulb or the whole xenon system?
lyjw88 is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
  #25  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Just the bulb I believe.
K-A is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: FINALLY!


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: