E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

How to disconnect rear view cam from Aux

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63
How to disconnect rear view cam from Aux

Does anybody know how to disconnect the rear view camera from the Aux port on the Command system?
Why, you ask?
I want to play videos from my ipod/iphone through the Media Interface Plus, but now I get Helga (the voice from command) telling me to use the Aux, which I am pretty sure is taken up by the rear view cam.
Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic
Originally Posted by KonradE63
Does anybody know how to disconnect the rear view camera from the Aux port on the Command system?
Why, you ask?
I want to play videos from my ipod/iphone through the Media Interface Plus, but now I get Helga (the voice from command) telling me to use the Aux, which I am pretty sure is taken up by the rear view cam.
Any ideas?
Look in your glove box, there is a USB port cable in there. You can use that for the Ipod/Iphone.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:10 AM

2010 E63
Originally Posted by kingofire
Look in your glove box, there is a USB port cable in there. You can use that for the Ipod/Iphone.
I understand, but that does not address my question. It is not about hooking up the ipod for sound, it is about hooking up the ipod for video. In order to do this apparently, you need to disconnect whatever is hanging on the Aux port for the video, in my case the rear view camera.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic
Originally Posted by KonradE63
I understand, but that does not address my question. It is not about hooking up the ipod for sound, it is about hooking up the ipod for video. In order to do this apparently, you need to disconnect whatever is hanging on the Aux port for the video, in my case the rear view camera.
I misunderstood you. Sorry I can't answer that for you. Find a reputable audio/video customization place near you and they can probably troubleshoot it for you easy.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 AM

MB E250 Coupe CDI
Even if you can find the video input, you will have to fool the command unit with a reverse signal so the screen switches to show this input. This may by a CAN bus message and not a single wire.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 AM

2009 C63
There is a FAKRA connector on the back of the Comand Unit that is the Aux Video input/Reverse Camera input.

From my understanding, at this time there is not a way to utilize both the reverse camera and Aux video input, at least not without a little effort.

If your car has the UCI (which it obviously does since the UCI is required to use the MIP, there is supposed to be a new Ipod video cable released in early November that will allow use of Ipod video through the MIP. I've heard rumors this cable will provide functionality for both reverse camera and Aux video, although I do not know this for sure. It would make sense given the fact that many new cars that work with the MIP have backup cams, and Ipod Video is one of the main features of the MIP.

Considering that is still a bit of an unknown, there are two issues involved. 1. From a hardware standpoint, you could either say bye bye to the Backup Camera and use the FAKRA connection for the Aux Video input or 2. put in a toggle switch to control which feed is sent to the Comand system.

Regardless of which of the above two options you choose, you will need to be able to access the Eng. Menu in Comand (not possible in all versions of the Comand unit) or install a device which can make the necessary changes for you (such as the VIM module from Mid City). If you opt to simply say goodbye to the backup camera, then you only need access to the Eng. Menu to disable the backup camera and enable Aux Video. That should give you what you want. Once you do that, in the Video menu you will be able to choose the Aux Video.

If you want to have the option of either backup cam or Aux video, accessing the eng. menu in comand is not really a practical solution, in my case I have the VIM from MidCity which allows me to enable Aux Video (which disables backup cam) or vice versa from my steering wheel. When it does it causes my Comand Unit to reboot, which takes about 30 seconds, which isn't seemless or ideal, but it is fairly simple and allows me access to both options without a whole lot of hassle and can be done without ever taking my eyes off the road.

But, as far as I know the Video cable for the Media Interface Plus is not out yet, so you may want to hold off until that is available because it is unknown how that will affect the functionality of cars with backup cams.

On that Note, has anyone heard anything about the MIP Video Cable?