New Roadside Assistance Rules

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
New Roadside Assistance Rules

Anyone else get the letter from MB re the new Roadside Assistance rules?? This will eliminate the non dealer serviced vehicles after the warranty expires. To qualify for continued roadside assistance you must have spent at least $100 for service at a dealer for service within the preceeding 18 months from the call. Actually I think its a good idea. They also extended the free towing after the warranty for any breakdowns or accidents.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I saw it posted at the MBCA website.

MB can do what they want, it's their call. But why do you "think it's a good idea?"

If you bought your car new from a dealer before Jan 4, 2011 you'll also have roadside assistance as long as you own the car even if you do use an Indy.

But they did cut out some long time MB enthusiasts who prefer the older versions of MBs and who might have purchased their cars second hand from a private party. Those folks will be upset, no doubt. Part of owning an MB was the idea that every car got roadside assistance forever. It also suggested that these cars are so robust that MB will even offer to get you out of trouble if you ever did break down.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
Originally Posted by 220S
I saw it posted at the MBCA website.

MB can do what they want, it's their call. But why do you "think it's a good idea?"

If you bought your car new from a dealer before Jan 4, 2011 you'll also have roadside assistance as long as you own the car even if you do use an Indy.

But they did cut out some long time MB enthusiasts who prefer the older versions of MBs and who might have purchased their cars second hand from a private party. Those folks will be upset, no doubt. Part of owning an MB was the idea that every car got roadside assistance forever. It also suggested that these cars are so robust that MB will even offer to get you out of trouble if you ever did break down.
I agree, in a world where your competition is striving to offer more and more it doesn't seem logical to offer less. And changing something like that is like breaking a promise to the consumer. I think it's bad policy.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think its a good idea from MB's business standpoint. I have heard that 80% of the Roadside services and tows other than flat tires are by customers who never use MB service and who have purchased their car used from other than MB dealers or individuals. I have also heard a number of stories about demands made from owners who break down at 1AM in the boonies and expect a free tow to their Indy's shop all within an hour!
On the other hand they have expanded the free towing. Keep in mind the whole idea of Roadside in addition to serving an owner is to promote the brand and the dealer network. Also remember that this service is still available to anyone who has spent $100 in service with a dealer in the preceeding 18 months, a small price to pay. This will eliminate the people looking for a freebe and give the loyal customers more and quicker access to the assets of the specific dealership.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by sosh
I think its a good idea from MB's business standpoint. I have heard that 80% of the Roadside services and tows other than flat tires are by customers who never use MB service and who have purchased their car used from other than MB dealers or individuals. I have also heard a number of stories about demands made from owners who break down at 1AM in the boonies and expect a free tow to their Indy's shop all within an hour!
On the other hand they have expanded the free towing. Keep in mind the whole idea of Roadside in addition to serving an owner is to promote the brand and the dealer network. Also remember that this service is still available to anyone who has spent $100 in service with a dealer in the preceeding 18 months, a small price to pay. This will eliminate the people looking for a freebe and give the loyal customers more and quicker access to the assets of the specific dealership.
As I said, MB can do whatever they want as it's their game.

But I think your argument is

Go to the MBCA forums and you'll find hardcore MB enthusiasts who own several of the great classic Mercedes automobiles. They consider themselves loyal customers and are probably the most vocal proponents of the marque. More so than people who buy a new MB and flip it in three years and have no clue as to the history of the company.

It's those folks who are feeling betrayed. And each year they feel more and more let down that MB has lost its original vision. I see no reason to discount that group of owners.

Anyway, it's not simply promoting using the dealer network, since the program still includes original owners who bought their car before Jan 4, 2011. Therefore we can still use an Indy mechanic if we prefer and also buy our DIY parts from online vendors like Rusty Cullens. And Rusty has to buy his parts directly from Daimler, so they still profit from second tier vendors.

The money is already spent in Daimler's overall budget. So they don't care if somebody calls at 1 am and demands a soy latte.

This simply is cost cutting. But hey, it's their game......
Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
What is free?

I read the Roadside Assistance brochure that came with my car re: what it actually provides. Basically if it is a warranty defect, they tow for free. If a flat tire or out of gas, they will change tire or add some gas.
Other than that you can be charged for the tow and possibly any services the tow operator provides at the scene.
Renewed the tow insurance through my insurance company for $25 per year. Covers all tows and all services regardless-no questions asked.
In reading the various manuals that came with the car, I have never seen so many qualifiers and potential denials of services and claims as with the MB. This includes American, Asian, and European cars.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by El Cid
I read the Roadside Assistance brochure that came with my car re: what it actually provides. Basically if it is a warranty defect, they tow for free. If a flat tire or out of gas, they will change tire or add some gas.
Other than that you can be charged for the tow and possibly any services the tow operator provides at the scene.
Renewed the tow insurance through my insurance company for $25 per year. Covers all tows and all services regardless-no questions asked.
In reading the various manuals that came with the car, I have never seen so many qualifiers and potential denials of services and claims as with the MB. This includes American, Asian, and European cars.
I believe from what I have read that the tow portion has been expanded to include out of warranty tows to the dealership at no charge. I have in the past only used roadside twice and that was for flat tires. In both cases they were repaired on the spot and reinflated.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
They can do it for newly purchased cars, however they can't change rules for already purchased. For example, when MB stopped free maintenance, my car was still serviced for free.