E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Red S212 (Station wagon)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Estate in Mystic Red
Red S212 (Station wagon)

I am special ordering a red S212 - I've searched and searched... I could not find a red one online anywhere. Even with Mercedes' German website (new and used car search), there is not a single red out there. All were black, white and some shade of gray / silver. And incidentally, most were 200 or 250 Diesels too...

I've seen the mystic red W212 posted here (very useful) and a A212 online for sale somewhere in Orlando.

1. Interested how it will look like - does anyone have a S212 in red, or pictures of one? (not the W212) - I wonder if I am going to end up having a unique car...

2. Also, I wonder, has dark red fallen out of favour so much? Has it become an "old man's" colour of choice at this point?? Most that I see on the road are driven by older people and usually in cheaper GM cars, which was a concern to me, however after seeing an Audi in that colour, it looked great.

3. Finally, how difficult is Mystic red to "reproduce" should the car get dinged and require bodywork? Can the designo colours be professionally matched, and will the cost be higher than the standard colours?

Last edited by rovermark; 12-12-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by rovermark
1. Interested how it will look like - does anyone have a S212 in red, or pictures of one? (not the W212) - I wonder if I am going to end up having a unique car...

2. Also, I wonder, has dark red fallen out of favour so much? Has it become an "old man's" colour of choice at this point?? Most that I see on the road are driven by older people and usually in cheaper GM cars, which was a concern to me, however after seeing an Audi in that colour, it looked great.

3. Finally, how difficult is Mystic red to "reproduce" should the car get dinged and require bodywork? Can the designo colours be professionally matched, and will the cost be higher than the standard colours?
1) Finding pictures will be tough as the estate CGI images have not been integrated into the designo configurator yet. You'll have to reference the sedan:
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...s/designo.html
It will definitely be unique - the closest shade of red available globally outside of the designo program or custom work on the estate is Cuprit Brown.

2) Personal preference

3) Any MB Authorized body shop can replicate the mystic finish, costs to do so are in-line with standard metallic finishes
Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 PM
ipp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166 ML350 BT
Here are some pics of a Cuprite Brown E500 Avantgarde. There were no used red S212 for sale in Europe that I could find.

Attached Thumbnails Red S212 (Station wagon)-tjp87gbg0-kgrhqr-ioeznsihq5cbm2d1mzbug-_27.jpg   Red S212 (Station wagon)-tjp87qbg0-kgrhqr-hgeyr5htzvebm2d1mw-1q-_27.jpg   Red S212 (Station wagon)-tjp87wbg0-kgrhqj-hwezl-lkd7hbm2d1mbhvq-_27.jpg   Red S212 (Station wagon)-tjp88-bg0-kgrhqj-igeznzelq57bm2d1mfujq-_27.jpg   Red S212 (Station wagon)-tjp88qbg0-kgrhqn-leey-jc2s9wbm2d1mpqmg-_27.jpg  

Red S212 (Station wagon)-tjp88wcg0-kgrhqf-iceznyfok85bm2d1npdmw-_27.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 12:36 PM

Thanks a lot - close enough I think!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:49 PM

S212 2011 Wagon and Wife's 2014 C350 sedan.
Rovermark, Please advise where you are located. When I wanted to order a red S212 I was told no by over ten different dealers through out the U.S. I wanted the Mars Red or Le Mans Red, both standard MB colors.
If you live in the U.S. when was it ordered, how long will it take, what is the extra cost, what code is it. Please send PM if you prefer.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by SKYKING44
Rovermark, Please advise where you are located. When I wanted to order a red S212 I was told no by over ten different dealers through out the U.S. I wanted the Mars Red or Le Mans Red, both standard MB colors.
Thanks.
Neither Mars Red nor Le Mans Red is offered on the E-Class Sedan/Wagon. Either one of these colors would be a PA1 special order meaning the car is pulled from the line and painted via a separate process. Most dealers would have no idea how to go about arranging this and would likely just brush you off.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 PM

If you live in the U.S. when was it ordered, how long will it take, what is the extra cost, what code is it. Please send PM if you prefer.
Thanks.

The colour I enquired about is Mystic Red, part of the designo collection. The two dealers I asked had no problem getting that colour. I enquired a few weeks ago.

I live in Canada. I am assuming it will take an additional 6-8 weeks from the usual time - YYZ (another poster here) seems to be quite knowledgeable on this matter.

Designo Mystic Red costs an additional $3500 - I don't see what the objection on part of the dealers would be for someone willing to pay.

Last edited by rovermark; 12-12-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:27 PM

S212 2011 Wagon and Wife's 2014 C350 sedan.
Thanks for the reply rovermark and YYZ-E55. When I ordered my vehicle in October, they would not let me order the Designo red. It was not available to the S212 at the time. From what you say, and it may only be availabe to Canada, it is now available.
YYZ-E55, do I understand there is a way to order a MB red, other than Designo, through a dealer? Would you please advise how one could do it?
All my vehicles are red, except my E350. When I did my research, I talked to the largest dealers on the West Coast, Atlanta, Florida, East Coast, and North East. Each dealer said they could not order a non-standard color. I was willing to pay cash for the car plus a $5,000 color premium.
Each said they contacted MBUSA and were told it could not be done.
So, if there is a way, I sure would like to know how.
Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When I did my research, I talked to the largest dealers on the West Coast, Atlanta, Florida, East Coast, and North East. Each dealer said they could not order a non-standard color. I was willing to pay cash for the car plus a $5,000 color premium.
Each said they contacted MBUSA and were told it could not be done.
So, if there is a way, I sure would like to know how.
I cannot speak for MBUSA in the context of what they are willing/not willing to do as an MPC. What I can tell you is that MB AG has the ability and the willingness to accommodate specific customer requests through the MB Center of Excellence (CoE).

In Canada, special orders facilitated through the Center of Excellence are generally no problem as long as they do not relate to safety systems/compliance (ie: special dashboard coverings that would impede airbags, etc). Pricing is on a case-by-case basis and depends on the model, which factory it is built at, etc. For example, CoE requests on SUVs built in Alabama are very difficult.

You could contact MBUSA and inquire about their specific policy as it relates to requests through the CoE.