E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by piper
Anyone with a current update on the Sprint Booster and a W212 E350? I know it is throttle response only, but I added this to my '08 M5 and it felt as if I gained 50 hp. The E350 could use a little help with the lag. Sure you could just press your peddle further faster, but the Sprint Booster makes the power come on much quicker and is well worth the cost...from my M5 experience anyways.
The E350 (and C350, and C63 AMG, for that matter) have systems in place that prevent you from "getting" wide-open throttle (WOT) from about 2000-4000 rpm. The "why" of this isn't really clear (as with a lot of MB marketing decisions) since it's not something you really see in the SLK (rated at 300 hp vs. 268, btw).

Regardless, a sprint booster boosts PEDAL signal, which (on a Mercedes) is not directly linked to throttle opening. Benz uses a system which is based on pedal "requests", which basically works like this:

Let's say you're driving along at 30 mph with about 10% throttle (both at pedal and a t-body), and you want to accelerate to 65 mph for an on-ramp. So, you push down to about 50 % pedal position. The ECU says "Oh, he wants to go faster ... let's see if this makes him happy" and gives you 25% throttle. You're still accelerating, so you keep your foot steady at 50%. The ECU will go, "hmm, he still wants more" then give you 40% (all made-up figures by the way - it's a lot smarter than this) ramping up until you back off the pedal. Still, it may not give you 100% WOT (even if you ask for it) depending on your rpm, available traction, gear, etc.

You can make the relationship to pedal/throttle more direct with ECU tuning, and free up the missing hp on the E, getting you to that 300 hp figure from the SLK350.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black W212 E550
Originally Posted by Speedriven
The E350 (and C350, and C63 AMG, for that matter) have systems in place that prevent you from "getting" wide-open throttle (WOT) from about 2000-4000 rpm. The "why" of this isn't really clear (as with a lot of MB marketing decisions) since it's not something you really see in the SLK (rated at 300 hp vs. 268, btw).

Regardless, a sprint booster boosts PEDAL signal, which (on a Mercedes) is not directly linked to throttle opening. Benz uses a system which is based on pedal "requests", which basically works like this:

Let's say you're driving along at 30 mph with about 10% throttle (both at pedal and a t-body), and you want to accelerate to 65 mph for an on-ramp. So, you push down to about 50 % pedal position. The ECU says "Oh, he wants to go faster ... let's see if this makes him happy" and gives you 25% throttle. You're still accelerating, so you keep your foot steady at 50%. The ECU will go, "hmm, he still wants more" then give you 40% (all made-up figures by the way - it's a lot smarter than this) ramping up until you back off the pedal. Still, it may not give you 100% WOT (even if you ask for it) depending on your rpm, available traction, gear, etc.

You can make the relationship to pedal/throttle more direct with ECU tuning, and free up the missing hp on the E, getting you to that 300 hp figure from the SLK350.
Thanks nice explanation, so if I interrupt this correctly I could get an ECU tune and that would provide me the functionality and then I wouldn't have a need or could eliminate the Power Boost, true?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by fromthebeginnin
Thanks nice explanation, so if I interrupt this correctly I could get an ECU tune and that would provide me the functionality and then I wouldn't have a need or could eliminate the Power Boost, true?
When you say "Power Boost", do you mean the increased horsepower or the Sprint Booster?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 PM

Black W212 E550
When you say "Power Boost", do you mean the increased horsepower or the Sprint Booster?
Yes I meant Sprint Booster, is the following correct?

From my previous entry cleaned up a little:

Thanks nice explanation, so if I interrupt this correctly I could get an ECU tune, which would provide performance enhancements and the same functionality as the Sprint Boost, thereby eliminating the need for the Spring Booster?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500

Just to be clear, is that really all that's giving the SLK the extra 32 HP? ECU Tune? I though I remember hearing there were actual differences in some elements of the motor and/or intake/exhaust system and/or injector system.

If you live in cold climates, tow, drive off-road, or drag/road-race your cars often, you like being able to modulate your throttle inputs. If you have 4-5 inches of pedal travel, you have that much room to "fine-adjust" the throttle and maintain/modulate traction. Devices like this that ramp up pedal signal make the last 1-3" of pedal travel useless, since they're sending so much signal at that point that you're at WOT, whether your asking for WOT or asking for 75 or 80%.

^^^ why most people don't have them.
So would a system like this affect MPG's? Since it's constantly seemingly giving a more responsive, and closer-to, or at-WOT signal? Also, I almost feel that perhaps M-B directs so much travel to the pedal, to keep the ride a bit less jerky, as maybe too much response can get a bit "chaotic"?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Black W212 E550
KA if you check the product out on the website, there are three setting, factory, sport and race. So you can dial it in.

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel
Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Thanks nice explanation, so if I interrupt this correctly I could get an ECU tune, which would provide performance enhancements and the same functionality as the Sprint Boost, thereby eliminating the need for the Spring Booster?
No, not the same functionality as the Sprint Booster. Devices like the Sprint Booster increase the signal sent form the pedal only - the ECU still interprets the data it's receiving and the ECU will then determine how much to open the throttle body (again, this is NOT directly related to pedal position).

The Sprint Booster boosts signal form the pedal. That's it.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Speedriven
KA if you check the product out on the website, there are three setting, factory, sport and race. So you can dial it in.

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel
From the page you posted: This not only makes your E-Class more fun to drive, it also makes it safer. It's easier to avoid collisions when you don't have this delay.

Wow. This goes beyond irresponsible. I challenge you to find a reputable study that says "quicker acceleration from a stop = fewer collisions", especially in cold-climate/inclement weather conditions.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Just for the record, none of this is meant to detract from the Sprint Booster product. As a product, it does EXACTLY what it says it does: it boosts pedal signal.

If you only want to press your gas pedal 50% of the way in, but want 75% throttle, this is a great product ... but will it make your car faster? No. Will it make your car safer? Absolutely not.

I'd bet that Sprint Booster's lawyers haven't seen that line (about the Sprint Booster improving safety and reducing the chance of collisions) and that they'd strongly recommend that SB remove it from their marketing materials.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
lol, I was just about to post a "no bashing" comment.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by dynomite05
lol, I was just about to post a "no bashing" comment.
Yeah - I think I'd have had that coming, and felt the need to clarify.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Yeah - I think I'd have had that coming, and felt the need to clarify.
That was very professional of you.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Philly,

You wont be disappointed... TRUST me... Once you install it, you will wonder why these cars dont come with them installed from factory... Just make sure its "Sprintbooster" brand and not some knock off.... I can only endorse sprintbooster as that is what I had with my E55... I would get it for the E350 I have now but its my g.f's car and she doesn't want it....

Let us know what you think..... 255 shipped is a great deal!
Originally Posted by BPhillyBenz
OK gang - I just ordered mine. I will post results after the install.
I got it at https://www.throttleboost.com/p-313-...atic-2010.aspx

Through some detective work I found a discount...
Enter coupon code : "6speedgroupbuy" and get it for a discounted price of 255.00 and it includes free shipping. Not bad...

Pretty efficiant company...I already have a tracking number.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
I think for those who dont want the dreaded throttle lag, this is the product to rectify that problem.... no more no less...

Just for the record, none of this is meant to detract from the Sprint Booster product. As a product, it does EXACTLY what it says it does: it boosts pedal signal.

If you only want to press your gas pedal 50% of the way in, but want 75% throttle, this is a great product ... but will it make your car faster? No. Will it make your car safer? Absolutely not.

I'd bet that Sprint Booster's lawyers haven't seen that line (about the Sprint Booster improving safety and reducing the chance of collisions) and that they'd strongly recommend that SB remove it from their marketing materials.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
I think for those who dont want the dreaded throttle lag, this is the product to rectify that problem.... no more no less...
The pedal-signal is not the only issue in "throttle lag", and there are certainly other solutions. Maybe not CHEAPER solutions, but arguably better.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Just make sure its "Sprintbooster" brand and not some knock off....
If you want this type of product, be VERY sure it's from Sprint Booster. I don't like the product for ME, but it's solid for what it's supposed to be, and the knock-off are ... well ... not.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM

Black W212 E550
Philly,

You wont be disappointed... TRUST me... Once you install it, you will wonder why these cars dont come with them installed from factory... Just make sure its "Sprintbooster" brand and not some knock off.... I can only endorse sprintbooster as that is what I had with my E55... I would get it for the E350 I have now but its my g.f's car and she doesn't want it....

Let us know what you think..... 255 shipped is a great deal!
The new one's have three setting, which do you like, normal, sport or race.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything
Great keep us posted, I drove a 350 the other day and a little "attitude" might be appreciated by some.

FTB

PS BTW one challenge is the Sprint Boost is about $300 and you might find an ECU tune for 400-500.

We actually have special pricing right now, the Powerchip tune is a mere $350 and we can make the throttle response as agressive as you'd like. No need to run a sprint booster and a tune, but we do have customers that like to have both.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
SLK and E350 Engines...There is a difference beyond HP

[quote=K-A;4411889]Just to be clear, is that really all that's giving the SLK the extra 32 HP? ECU Tune? I though I remember hearing there were actual differences in some elements of the motor and/or intake/exhaust system and/or injector system.

SLK:
  • Construction: 3,498-cc 24-valve V-6
  • Compression ratio: 11.7:1
  • Fuel and ignition system: Integrated sequential multipoint fuel injection and ignition includes individual cylinder control of fuel spray, spark timing/phase, and antiknock. Electronic throttle. One high-energy ignition coil and spark plug per cylinder. 100,000-mile spark plug intervals
  • Constuction: High-pressure aluminum-alloy cylinder block and alloy heads with a counter-rotating balance shaft
E350:
  • Fuel and ignition system: Port fuel injection. Four valves per cylinder with continuously variable intake and exhaust valve timing. Anti-knock control.
  • Construction: 3,498-cc 24-valve V-6

Last edited by golfster; 12-15-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Powerchip
We actually have special pricing right now, the Powerchip tune is a mere $350 and we can make the throttle response as agressive as you'd like. No need to run a sprint booster and a tune, but we do have customers that like to have both.
How much HP does a Powerchip tune typically yield to an E350, RWHP?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 PM

2011 E350
Originally Posted by lyjw88
Dealer has to prove that the problem is caused by the aftermarket part before voiding it.
is this true? how do you know?

I'd love to tune my E350, but this worries me...
Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 PM

E350 Coupe
In theory yes. The Magnuson-Moss Act states that in denying warranty repairs it is the responsibility of the dealer to prove that a modification made by the vehicle owner was the cause of the failure/problem. You see this Act referenced all the time when people have engine/transmission or other costly failures after modifying their cars. It is my opinion that the dealer still has the advantage in these situations. It's a team of MB tech's against you.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:24 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Basically, if they find out that you had a Mod, or can prove that you did, chances are, they'll try and use it against you, in even an unrelated incident. Then, you have the honest Tech's, that wouldn't. It's a gamble.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
From the page you posted: This not only makes your E-Class more fun to drive, it also makes it safer. It's easier to avoid collisions when you don't have this delay.

Wow. This goes beyond irresponsible. I challenge you to find a reputable study that says "quicker acceleration from a stop = fewer collisions", especially in cold-climate/inclement weather conditions.

Please Note:

www.SprintBoosterUSA.com is the Master Distributor for Sprint Booster in North America. For information on Sprint Booster and its operation please visit www.sprintboosterusa.com
Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Again, there are mis conceptions about Sprint Booster which lead people down the path that sprint booster is like all the other throttle controller modules out there.

Simply put, Sprint Booster continuously monitors throttle pedal travel. What does this mean exactly? It measures your throttle inputs and provides the ecu with an altered throttle signal that is more inline with what the driver is demanding. We have patented the technology so we can say with confidence, that no one understands this more as much as we do. We take the time to specifically tune each module to ensure the throttle response is perfect. Anyone who tries a Sprint Booster understands this. Those who speculate and assume generally underestimate the sophistication of our product.

In regards to points on safety, Our product has TUV certification. We put a great deal of R&D into our technology and we strive to produce the best products possible.

"Sprint Booster has passed successfully the TUV tests (TUV SUD Automotive) and it is certified with European Conformity type approval ( EC type approval mark No e24031712) with regard to Directive 72/245/EEC as last amended by Directive 2006/28/EC.
The e – mark is printed on each device."

Europe has the world leading safety and compliance standards. Should anyone wish to read more please visit the TUV SUD Automotive website in Europe or visit the TUV america website to understand what goes into TUV standards.

http://www.tuvamerica.com/industry/automotive.cfm
http://www.tuvamerica.com/industry/a.../crashtest.cfm

Sprint Booster originated from Europe, These strict and rigorous standards have been at the heart of our product.

If you want this type of product, be VERY sure it's from Sprint Booster. I don't like the product for ME, but it's solid for what it's supposed to be, and the knock-off are ... well ... not.
Thank you for the acknowledgement. We want to put it out there for all customers and potential customers. Sprint Booster is a plug and play hardware option for those who wish to enhance their vehicles throttle response. Our product is patented and how it operates is proprietary without modifying the ECU. We work to only provide our customers and future customers with a reliable means modify the response throttle response. Tuning for HP / TQ performance is something done by professional tuning shops and reflashing tools such as Speedriven.

Sprint Booster isn't for everyone, but we attempt to make the process of trying sprint booster as simple and risk free as possible. Ultimately it is up to each individual to decide what modification is for them.

Last edited by SprintBooster; 12-17-2010 at 05:37 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster