M-B and Studebaker-Packard and Curtiss-Wright

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
M-B and Studebaker-Packard and Curtiss-Wright

Have searched and find a lot of conflicting info.
What was the relationship between the three above? Did Curtiss-Wright already have distribution deal with M-B before it agreed to take over management of Studebaker-Packard? Or did deal with M-B come after that?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E-350W4
The following is copied from an article on "Bnet-Auto Publications"

In the 1950s, a weak distributor left Mercedes cars virtually invisible in the United States. Yearly sales ranged from a few units to a few hundred. In 1957 the American distribution rights for Mercedes were acquired by a newly formed Studebaker-Packard subsidiary called Mercedes-Benz Sales Inc.
Things improved slowly. In 1959 it was often easier to dual Big Three dealers with Studebaker than Mercedez. But by 1964, there were approximately 320 Mercedes dealers in the United States, more than 150 were Studebaker duals. Less than 20 were Mercedes exclusives.
Packard died in 1958 and by 1965 Studebaker was in serious trouble. The Mercedes brand, however, was well-established and selling nearly 20,000 a year. Daimler-Benz bought the Mercedes-Benz sales contract and formed Mercedes-Benz of North America. That ended the Studebaker-Mercedes association. Meanwhile, Studebaker, caught in fierce price and market share wars with the Big Three, withered and died.

My Uncle had one of those Studebaker-Packard dealerships in Freehold, New Jersey that picked up Mercedes Benz in the late 1950's after Packard bowed out. I remember as a small child going through the showroom and sitting in all of these absolutely beautiful automobiles. My wedding in 1973, my Uncle provided 2 Mercedes 600 Pullmans dark blue with black leather interiors for the limousines that day. The cars were ordered customer cars. When you ordered a 600 in those days, the dealer would run the car for 30 days prior to customer acceptance to ensure there were no bugs or problems with the car. As a 21 year old getting married, what better transportation could you have asked for?
Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Thanks

goes a long with some other stuff I found. Apparently Curtiss-Wright may have been involved with M-B even before they took over management of Studebaker-Packard.