E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

iPod interfering with Keyless Go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 W212, 1985 C10
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Do you have split folding seats? I think it might be the Trunk Monkey entering the cabin to listen to some of your tunes.
Sorry guys... I cant stop myself...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM

2011 E350
You guys don't have the smart key near the car do you? I was washing the car with that damn key near it and lock unlock lock unlock. It drove me crazy so I pulled the button out and it stopped. Water on the door handles.

I like the rain sensor theory - I have mine on right now, its raining, outside and the ipod was on song 3 - I'll see if it woke up in the morning. However my key is about 15 feet from the car under my pillow.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Tibs
It drove me crazy so I pulled the button out and it stopped.
What button?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 PM

C220, E350
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
What button?
start stop button probably
Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by sclex
Hello,

I've got the same battery drain issue and inability to shift to R or D after starting the car in the morning.

I've also got another symptom (read below).

Car:
New (<3000 miles), 2011 E350.

Similar setup: Keyless Go in my house and not close to the car, iPod hooked up (but I have not noticed it 'playing' while I'm gone, song position remains the same as when I last used it).

Issue:
Occasionally when I come into my garage in the morning my wiper blades will be on the windshield stopped as if in the middle of a wiping cycle and I will be unable to shift to D or R after starting the car with the Keyless Go.

To 'reset' the car and get it to shift into D or R, I will have to push stop, exit the car, close the door, open the door, push start and it will act normally.

If I simply 'stop' the car and 'start' the car again (without exiting), then it will continue to not allow shifting.

This weekend, I did not drive my car and when tried on Monday morning, the wipers were on the windshield and the battery was completely drained (no lights, dashboard, clock reset, etc.). I had to jump start it and drove it straight to the dealer.

They have had the car for 2 days and have been unable to find anything wrong with it.

Hmmm..... ghost in the machine... anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions?

If anyone is interested, I've got a video to confirm this non-shifting behavior.

Thanks,

CY
Very interesting! I had the exact same issue happening to me twice now. I am not able to explain what is going on. One thing to add to the story above is the fact that you do not have to exit the vehicle - just by opening/closing the driver door it will "reset" the system and you will be able to put this in Drive.

Please let us know if you figure out more about this...

Thank you,
Silvian
Old 03-30-2011, 11:52 PM

2011 W212 E550
Listen: My car is DEEP into the lemon law realm at this point, and yours (I'm speaking to everyone here who's experiencing this) are too. I don't want to deal with that, I want to drive my friggin' car. We need to pool our resources and get the service managers to escalate this with the TAC at MBZ pronto, before several things happen, such as...

- We all give up and defect to another brand
- This problem spreads to more owners and garners negative press
- It becomes a recall and garners negative press

...because this all leads to undermining the brand as a whole, lowering our residual / resale values, and pisses us all off in general.

Plus it's ridiculous and embarrassing when showing off to our fellow motorheads, which takes away our bragging rights for such a well-engineered brand in general.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:58 AM

2011 E350
Yeah the keyless go button. I read in the book not to leave the blades on intermittent but damn they shut of for me I don't think about it.

That's another good test.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM

2011 W212 E550
Yeah the keyless go button. I read in the book not to leave the blades on intermittent but damn they shut of for me I don't think about it.

That's another good test.
Wait a minute... I think I had been driving my last two GLs around for five years with the rain-sensing wipers on, never turning them off. You mean to tell me that I'm not allowed to do that now? That would be a lame regression.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 PM

2011 E350
Yeah its lame, but thats what the book says - the reason has to do with them comming on when not needed and scratching the windshield I think.

Does it mean I'm turning it off? Heck no, I leave it on.

No movement of the wipers or ipod this morning, didnt rain hard though. Car built 6/2010 if memory serves, so not sure if there is a COMMAND software difference in the ones doing it.

Work on computers every day - and it makes sense there is a strange occurance of things causing the cars to wake up.

I'd suggest turning off wipers for a week, see if it stops (if even applicable). Then pop the keyless go button out (if applicable) and see if it stops. Keys should be far enough from the car though, they are pretty short range from what I gather. If I have my key near the car and wash the car off with the hose, the locks go crazy - lights come on etc. No it doesnt activate the ignition (position 1)

No idea on the frequncy range of smartkeys, and if consumer electronics could confuse it - like garage, cell phone, cordless phone, wireless ethernet, etc etc.

All I know is, I have a digital egg timer, I live near a dead zone and my cell phone has to ramp up power to talk on the data network over Edge and when it does - the timer starts counting down if its within 2 feet of the timer.

This could be hard to chase down.

Last edited by Tibs; 03-31-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

2011 W212 E550
Yeah its lame, but thats what the book says - the reason has to do with them coming on when not needed and scratching the windshield I think.
Ah, ok then it's not a technical reason, it's a physical one. Nevermind. If they were suggesting that it might activate while the car is off, then that's an entirely different conversation.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 PM

2010 E350 4Matic ML350 on order
I guess maybe the trunk monkey could be the explanation of why my trunk opens on its own about once a week!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:47 PM

E350 W4
EIS not solution

Originally Posted by Camel1970
I took delivery of my ordered 2011 E350 in mid-January. It's equipped with the P2 package, Driver Assist and is a 4MATIC. I don't use an iPod with it. And have owned three E320/E350's over the last ten years (so I do know how to operate the car).

The cold morning after I took the car home, I was unable to unlock the doors using either the keyless-go or the smart key. After being able to unlock the door with the mechanical key, it took me about five minutes using the keyless-go and then the smart key and again the keyless before the car finally started.

On other occassions I have either not been able to enter the car, not been able to start it and/or not been able to put it into gear without a number of attempts.

I have had the auto into two dealers' shops at least five or six times over the last two months. Mostly they say that they are unable to duplicate the problem.

So far they have "performed software flash to SAMS", "waiting for updates from Mercedes", and "replaced EIS".

Sunday morning the car would not go into gear!!!
After several attempts and many minutes, I finally was able to drive it. I had a guest in the car, so it was embarrassing, as well.

Has anyone found a solution to similar problems!!!?

I am having my second EIS installed. The first did not solve the problem. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:06 PM

C280,ML 320, 2010 E350
Originally Posted by tneal
I guess maybe the trunk monkey could be the explanation of why my trunk opens on its own about once a week!
The trunk opened itself over dozen times. I took the car to the dealer last month and left it there for over night. But they told me nothing happen and couldn't do anything at that time. That is crazy! What can we do now?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 PM

2010 E350 4Matic ML350 on order
Originally Posted by Eaosdad
The trunk opened itself over dozen times. I took the car to the dealer last month and left it there for over night. But they told me nothing happen and couldn't do anything at that time. That is crazy! What can we do now?
Not that I am happy about your trunk opening but now at least I know that it has happened to someone else. It's crazy that they thought it would happen while it was at the dealership. I haven't taken mine in yet but I hope they can at least deactivate the opening function from the key fob or something. At least that's something to try. It's happened to me twice in a parking lot and I'm glad that there wasn't something valuable in there, or raining.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:53 PM

E350
Angry Problems with Keyless Go

I took delivery of a 2011 E350 with P2 package a month ago. Since that time the car has been back in the shop 4 times due to the battery being completely drained overnight in my garage. It appears that everything shuts down properly when i exit the car and take the key with me into my home. But then for some reason, some power consuming device starts up and drains the battery. Very similar to the iPOD problem posted earlier. The dealer has changed the front SAM and changed the code on the rear SAM, but this hasn't fixed the problem. It is back at the dealer now and I raised a stink yesterday. The foreman says he has seen this problem before and it is related to the Keyless Go. They plan to get the MB regional technical advisor to take a look at this one. Has anyone else found a fix for this problem?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM

2011 E350
pop the button out when you go in to stop the problem until they fix it. Every time a battery drains 100% its bad for its life. Since they cost so much I would avoid that problem.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:43 AM

2011 W212 E550
Originally Posted by smasih
I took delivery of a 2011 E350 with P2 package a month ago. Since that time the car has been back in the shop 4 times due to the battery being completely drained overnight in my garage. It appears that everything shuts down properly when i exit the car and take the key with me into my home. But then for some reason, some power consuming device starts up and drains the battery. Very similar to the iPOD problem posted earlier. The dealer has changed the front SAM and changed the code on the rear SAM, but this hasn't fixed the problem. It is back at the dealer now and I raised a stink yesterday. The foreman says he has seen this problem before and it is related to the Keyless Go. They plan to get the MB regional technical advisor to take a look at this one. Has anyone else found a fix for this problem?
Do you have an iPod connected?

Are your wipers in automatic mode?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:34 PM

E350 W4
Problem with keyless go

Smasih,

See Post from camel1970. I had a second EIS installed about two weeks ago. So far the problems have not returnsed.

Please let me know how your problem turns out
Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 PM

E350
Camel1970,

My car is still with the dealer. They have installed a new EIS and are keeping it for a few days to see if the problem re-surfaces. I will let you know after I get the car. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM

E350
I don't have an ipod connected. My wipers are in automatic mode, but I did not see any evidence of them having come on. But it certainly looks like some accessory turned itself on and drained the battery. The dealer has changed the EIS and is keeping the car for afew days to see if the problem happens again. I will post after I get the car back.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 PM

2005 Audi S4 MT6
Good luck with your problem. My dad's '11 E550 is stting dead in the garage now too. dealer is buying the car back from us. POS drained it's battery 3 times because the radio turns on over night. Everytime it happens, the wipers get stuck in the up position and of course the keyless go doesn't work.

It's a very common problem the occurs in the E and S class cars for MY 11 and late 10 and Mercedes has yet to find a solution to it. Replacing the keys, software re-program, replacing the control module.....all of that does nothing. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 PM

2011 W212 E550
Originally Posted by smasih
I don't have an ipod connected. My wipers are in automatic mode, but I did not see any evidence of them having come on. But it certainly looks like some accessory turned itself on and drained the battery. The dealer has changed the EIS and is keeping the car for afew days to see if the problem happens again. I will post after I get the car back.
I strongly encourage you to call them and ask them to put the wipers in automatic mode and to leave the COMAND unit in the normal "on" state when they turn off the car to park it for observation... that's a real-world test scenario, since that's how most people park their cars after all. Doing so was the only way to demonstrate to my dealer that I'm not insane. At least as it relates to my car problem, that is.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:04 PM

E350
Got my car back last Friday. The EIS module was changed. I was told that a particular batch of EIS modules had some technical problems with it and my car had one of those. I was told that there is a Technical Services Bulletin out to that effect and the new module is from a different batch that hopefully will not exhibit this problem again. Well, we are going to wait and see. It's three days and the car, so far, is behaving itself!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:34 AM

C280,ML 320, 2010 E350
Originally Posted by tneal
Not that I am happy about your trunk opening but now at least I know that it has happened to someone else. It's crazy that they thought it would happen while it was at the dealership. I haven't taken mine in yet but I hope they can at least deactivate the opening function from the key fob or something. At least that's something to try. It's happened to me twice in a parking lot and I'm glad that there wasn't something valuable in there, or raining.
I took my car to the dealer last week again. Just got a call from the service department and said the car is ready. Will post what they did on the car after I pick it up tomorrow morning!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:03 AM

2011 W212 E550
Originally Posted by Eaosdad
I took my car to the dealer last week again. Just got a call from the service department and said the car is ready. Will post what they did on the car after I pick it up tomorrow morning!
What's the verdict? Did you get straightened out?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPod interfering with Keyless Go?