A6, F10, W212 as competitors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:37 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
After driving both back to back. Although the F10's interior is very dazzling, I find Mercedes came through with what they're supposed to do best: Provide for a great interior *ambiance*. Everything felt more open/simplified, less cluttered, and more airy. Materials almost seem like each manufacturer has the same parts supplier, so I found that to be purely subjective, and in the favor of Mercedes here, BMW there, etc. etc. I did feel like the Benzes interior gives a stronger sense/tangible touch of solidity though.

The steering wheel "stem" on the F10 felt incredibly cheap, and my thighs kept uncomfortably banging against it. However, I've never heard of anyone else complain about this.

I've also heard about the annoying functionality of BMW's Keyless Go, and I've heard that there are some other ergonomics and engineering methods inside that aren't as well thought out as the E's, although I'm forgetting them specifically at the moment.

Looks wise it's subjective, but I find that the 212 is a more interesting car to look at, and now that my eyes are trained and appreciative of all its complexities, I feel the F10 might get duller on me after a while. Also, actual buyers aside, the W212 has a look that is more intriguing to a "juvenile mind" IMO. Or to the "juvenile mind" in all of us, lol. It has more styling gimmicks and "ooh look at me" aspects, but I think after seeing so many now, it settles in to be the true Benz: Understated, mature, and classic as well, which is what it has to be.

The F10 is a car that you have to really appreciate as well, but in a different way. My friends all thought it looked dull as dirt, but I thought it looked/looks sleek and gorgeously well thought out. I wouldn't kick either out of bed I guess.

Last edited by K-A; 01-21-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Wig

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W213, C238
KA - you have obviously had a good long look at the W212 and the F10, but what is your take on the styling of the new A6?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Indeed, lol.

Based off of pictures, I like it. Nice careful evolution of the previous one. Clean, simple, timeless look. Some say it looks too much like the old ones, but that's a good thing (I like subtle and confident evolutions, if done right) sometimes. I think the front ruins the whole thing, as it looks so bizarrely gimmicky that it makes the sides and rear look 10 years old. Just very mismatched. As if the Designers did it in line with the rest of the car, then the Marketers said "IT LOOKS TOO DULL, WE NEED CRAZY, PEOPLE LIKE CRAZY, DO SOMETHING CRAZY TO THE FRONT!!!!"

I'm not a huge Audi guy, and I've never been big on the Audi look, so I probably wouldn't be intrigued enough to buy it, but I think it's a great looking, lean, clean, (mostly) cohesive car, for the most part.

I think in the pictures above the E is the clear styling winner BTW. In pictures, the interior actually looks the worst. But in person, I have a feeling I'll like the E's interior more than the A6's as well as the F10's. The W212's interior looks very clunky and over-angular in pics.

Last edited by K-A; 01-21-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:04 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Also, I think that these cars and this segment is the best its ever been, at least since the 90's. Each car is representing their brand in a modern twist of their proud heritage. The W212 conveys the 80's and prior Benz character with a modern twist and modern gimmicks, the F10 goes back to a pure, clean and elegant BMW look, and the Audi is finally a player IMO.

EDIT:

Also, just so you guys know, those photo's are HEAVILY skewed towards the Audi. The Audi is the only car with big wheels and a Sport Package. The W212 and F10 are as bare as they'll get (in the U.S we barely, if ever see W212's equipped like that).

With an AMG Package, and M-Pack, the Audi would be hurting even more.

Also, focusing on the front. The W212 is the only model that keeps a non-EU Regulations look going for it, as M-B invested tons of R&D so our cars can have a slick, and sweeping/raking hood/grille. The F10 and especially Audi, have very blunt, flat faces. The A6's front looks extremely bloated, and non defined/sculpted compared to the F10, and especially W212 to me.

Last edited by K-A; 01-21-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
I like the A6 front syling, it's kind of exotic(ish) and the rear follows suit pretty well. Problem is maybe like KA mentioned, the sides don't follow form, seem rather bland with no flow or style to speak of. Just not what you would expect after the front or rear view. As for BMW, I've always thought they've had timeless good looks and maybe that's why they've been reluctant to make any serious changes. That's why I like the MB so well cause it was a totally new design and really seperated itself from the W211 in all the right ways while still maintaining it's heritage. MB really stepped out of the box with the sporty styling while maintaing it's elegant heritage which developed the perfect balance and a true definition of a luxury sports sedan.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I agree.

This term sounds a lot worse than how I'm intending it to apply, but to me, the W212 first struck me as "future/retro" when I got it and lived with it. I mean that in the best way possible. Now that the look settles in, the maturity and timelessness comes out (I originally predicted that it would date fast, as the shock-value of it was still fresh). I think my original prediction will serve as false.

What's funny about cars like E-Classes, 5-Series', etc. are that they always are supposed to look better the more you see them. I'd think that that exacting the designs of these is a ton more involved, and testing, and commanding than cars that are way more exotic.

Even taking the CLS, for example, into account. Great looking car, but it really hits you when you first see it, then when you've seen a lot, it wears off. E-Classes have always aged in that the more you see them, the more you appreciate them, and their characters start to really mature and refine to you eyes. THAT is a good Designers work when it comes to a Premium-Luxury Mid-Size Sedan. I think the E60 Bangle BMW failed at that, but I think the F10 will age very timelessly, however those who find it very boring, might probably find it more and more passive and boring to look at as well (depends on the person I guess).