Diesels & COLD Weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Diesels & COLD Weather

Since before I bought my "d" I've been concerned about cold weather problems.I've read many stories (before and after my purchase) about diesel fuel "gelling" which could cause the engine not to start or even to die after having started.I also heard from the dealer that the AdBlue can freeze and,conceivably,cause it not to start.Last winter,my first with the "d",-2F was the worst I experienced and there were no problems.

Well,yesterday morning...*much* to my surprise...my "d" started like a champ at -24F.No garage...no battery charger...no block heater...no fuel additives.It sat for 12 hours in below zero weather beforehand.Amazing (IMO,at least)

After starting,I let it idle for a few minutes before starting my journey and for the first 30 minutes I took it easy so as to allow the engine,transmission,etc to "warm up" gently.For the first few minutes it sounded,and felt,like a bulldozer.For the first little while the tires felt like bricks (yes,in anticipation of the temps I ensured proper tire inflation for -20F).Also in anticipation I made sure to fill up before stopping for the night at a local Shell station which,I assumed,would have fuel suited for their climate.

About the photos...the second one was taken a few minutes after starting out.It was few miles down the road in a bit of a valley where,I assume,it was a bit colder than in the "big city" (laugh,laugh) of Val d'Or,Quebec which is in the central part of the Province...well north of Montreal.

So all you diesel owners and all who are tempted....fear not.Today's diesels,assuming the battery's properly charged and the use of "region-specific" fuel,will start just fine and will run perfectly after a little bit of warming up.
Attached Thumbnails Diesels & COLD Weather-minus24f.jpg   Diesels & COLD Weather-minus31f.jpg  
Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
There are so many myths that seem to perpetuate in the US and Canada regarding automotive diesels in general. I have never had an issue with any diesel in cold weather for at least 15 years. The modern fuel additives keep gelling at bay if most of your driving is within the same latitude.

One thing to keep in mind is that with the incredible range most diesel vehicles have, it is possible to fill up in Florida in 80 degree temps and not have to fillup until you have hit sub-zero temps heading north. That said, I have still never had any issues with cold weather and/or fuel delivery issues.

Diesels rule...or at least should.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by ImInPA
One thing to keep in mind is that with the incredible range most diesel vehicles have, it is possible to fill up in Florida in 80 degree temps and not have to fillup until you have hit sub-zero temps...
Yes,I was aware of this so as I was headed north I was putting in about 5 gallons at a time in order to get locally blended diesel.When I hit my destination the tank was close to empty and I made it a point to fill up with the local stuff.This is my first diesel and my first experience with temps *nearly* this low so perhaps I was *too* cautious.But at least from now on I won't panic when the temps get down near zero in my neck of the woods.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Diesels rule...or at least should.
Hey,BTW...how do you like your Bluetec? I took one for a test drive recently and was *very* impressed.I *love* my "d" but I've come to see that it's too small and that I want something more luxurious.Rumor has it that BMW will bring a diesel 5 Series here later this year but I've heard that it will be a 4 cylinder and that's a big problem for me.I *love* the torque that BMW's diesel 6 puts out and would be willing to sacrifice the extra 4 mpg's I'd get with the 4 cylinder for that added torque.

Any comments you might have on your Bluetec would be much appreciated.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by listerone
Hey,BTW...how do you like your Bluetec? I took one for a test drive recently and was *very* impressed.I *love* my "d" but I've come to see that it's too small and that I want something more luxurious.Rumor has it that BMW will bring a diesel 5 Series here later this year but I've heard that it will be a 4 cylinder and that's a big problem for me.I *love* the torque that BMW's diesel 6 puts out and would be willing to sacrifice the extra 4 mpg's I'd get with the 4 cylinder for that added torque.

Any comments you might have on your Bluetec would be much appreciated.
I simply love my Bluetec. For the type of driving I do (mostly below 4K RPM, it gives me the "massive torque sensation" of the E550 with the fuel economy of a Honda Fit. I regularly average above 33 mpg in combined city/hwy. I see about 40 mpg on all hwy driving, and the worst I have seen so far is 23 mpg in mostly city. I was concerned about the cost of the AdBlue service, but have been adding AdBlue purchase from VW (it has the MB Part Number) and for the first 5000 miles I consumed just over 2 gallons of AdBlue..(about $32.I am not crazy about the Run Flat tires (Bridgestone Turanzas) and will likely go with a regular tire when these wear out. I have the Luxury with P1 package and preferred it to the Sport. I prefer the fog lights and round DRLs to the hockey-stick LEDs (just a personal preference.) I also like the additional chrome trim on the rear bumper that ties the chrome trim on the lower part of the doors to the back of the car. (I wish they left the lower door chrome trim off of the Sport edition). I also Like the 4 slot grill on the Luxury edition. The only other option I have are the folding rear seats and the wood/leather steering wheel. The car has bee virtually trouble free, but there are a couple things I will have adjusted when I go in for the 1st oil change at 10k miles.

I find that the rock solid power delivery of the diesel just seems to fit this car. It feels strong, unstoppable, and really unbreakable. This is not my first diesel, but, it is a very good effort. Mercedes claims 6.7 seconds 0-60 (even says it on the window sticker), but, I have only seen reviews that have it at 7.2 or 7.5 seconds 0-60. Seems odd that Mercedes, who is usually conservative in such estimates, is off by so much. I can tell you that it certainly "feels" faster than a low to mid 7 second 0-60 time. In fact, it feels faster than the gas E350.

When first started cold, there is a slight, but noticeable vibration from the diesel. I have experienced this in every diesel I have ever driven. When warmed up however, this engine is as smooth as anything out there. Once one gets used to "driving the torque" of a diesel powered car, the locomotive-like power is quite addictive. Passing on the highway is truly effortless with the 400 ft.-lbs. of torque.

If the 5 had been out with the diesel, it would have been a tougher decision. I found the 335d just too small for my needs (especially the rear seat accommodations.) I do find the front of the new 5 series a bit "cramped" feeling in the front...not uncomfortable but noticeably tighter than the E. Not sure why the center console is so wide int the 5 but I found my right leg always in contact with the center. For me the, the E was just right, and, there is no comparable vehicle available in the US. I wish Audi, BMW, VW, Volvo, and SAAB would send us more of their incredible diesels.