Premium gas...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by RobertG
Just because you dont hear a knock or a ping that doesnt mean that it's not happening.
It's your car and your engine , use any fuel that you want . If you want your engine to last as long as possible then use what the OEM recommends and perform all the maintenance that is needed by the OEM recommendation.

Iminpa, you can correct me all you want and then some, believe me you will not hurt my feelings in any way, at the end of the day, what I said is all true and research has been done by people much smarter then you and me.
You brought up the 60 and 70's vehicles into this conversation and I responded with added info to bing it into the perspective.
Happy motoring to you and everyone
I only engage in discussion, I brought up 60's and 70's engines only because they were actually high compression..13:1 etc. As I said, I would and do only run what is recommended because I do want ALL of the performance I paid for. The issue regarding damage occurring to a modern engine due to incorrect octane is the only point I chimed in on. In all honesty, what difference does it make? In the end it is an individual decision. The manu for my bluetec states not to use gasoline or oil additives. However, I choose to use Power Service Diesel Kleen every fourth tank or so. Why? Because I have used it in all of my diesels over the pas 20 years. It collect water from the tank and has a detergent cleaning effect on the injectors. We all have to decide for ourselves.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by El Cid
Page 363 of 2010 Operator's Manual: "Only use premium unleaded gasoline." "The octane number must be 91 min." Also: "To maintain the engines durability and performance, premium unleaded gasoline must be used."
The cost of fuel is a concern for many, even some M-B owners. Don't the A and B class and Smart use regular fuel? M-B is pushing the Smart and getting ready to import the B class.
That said, I am still running 93 octane. Could mix 89 and 93, but won't even try that.
Actually it's the upcoming A-Class that they'll be importing, I believe.

Another thing that you guys are not bringing up, is if something does happen to your motor, either related or unrelated to the Gas being used, and it is determined that you haven't followed the required maintenance by using the required Gas Octane, you can kiss that Warranty coverage goodbye.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:24 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
still not sure about the look of that A class......hehe....

haven't read anything on it really.....
but it looks funky huh?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I agree. The new one is looking a lot better than the old one, but "funky" is putting it nicely, lol. M-B is going too crazy with the broken squiggly lines on the sides, the A-Classes lines look like they were scribbled by a 2 year old. I love nice and sharp, protruding lines, but they've gotta be straight, crisp, and defined to me.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by K-A

Another thing that you guys are not bringing up, is if something does happen to your motor, either related or unrelated to the Gas being used, and it is determined that you haven't followed the required maintenance by using the required Gas Octane, you can kiss that Warranty coverage goodbye.
Good point KA
Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by K-A

True. But keep in mind that if monkeys fly out of your butt and tear the upholstery you are pretty much in the same boat. Probably just as likely too. lol