E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Using Navigation Units in another country (E Class 2011)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E Class
Using Navigation Units in another country (E Class 2011)

Firstly I'd like to apologise if this question has been answered before but if possible I would like some information regarding the new E Class (2011).

I am thinking of purchasing a current model E Class (2011). The country of purchase will be Japan but I plan to send this car back to Australia. I called Mercedes Benz in Japan and they were telling me that different countries/continents use different systems and they are not able to be used across different regions.

My questions are:

1) Is there a way to change the navigation system to be usable in Australia as all Japanese cars come standard with navigation units?

2) If yes, could you please point me in the right direction regarding this?

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250,GLK350
Originally Posted by exo_duz
Firstly I'd like to apologise if this question has been answered before but if possible I would like some information regarding the new E Class (2011).

I am thinking of purchasing a current model E Class (2011). The country of purchase will be Japan but I plan to send this car back to Australia. I called Mercedes Benz in Japan and they were telling me that different countries/continents use different systems and they are not able to be used across different regions.

My questions are:

1) Is there a way to change the navigation system to be usable in Australia as all Japanese cars come standard with navigation units?

2) If yes, could you please point me in the right direction regarding this?

Thanks for your time.
Its a hard drive based system, you should be able to re-program it once it enters Australia, it just may cost you more than you are willing to pay. Are you planning on direct exporting it? If so why dont you just buy it in Australia and ensure 100% compatibility?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Do your homework properly. MBs for the Japanese market usually have a completely different set of telematics units compared to any other market. I did not check this for the W212, it could be different but for all previous models the Japanese market parts have been almost useless elsewhere.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM

MB E Class
Thanks for the replies both.

Diesel Benz,

I'm looking into it so if anyone could point me in the right directions it would be greatly appreciated... It won't be the end of the world if it doesn't work but since you'd have to pay extra for Navigation in Australia and it's inbuilt in Japan, it would be nice if it worked over there too.

DCubed,

I'm working in Japan now for a few years and buying a car here is a lot cheaper than Australia... so that's why I was thinking of buying here and sending it as a personal import back to Australia.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 PM

MB E Class
@Diesel Benz:

I just called Mercedes Benz in Australia to confirm some things but it seems that head units differ in different countries/continents.

E.g. North America uses an American Head Unit
and Australia uses an ECE (Rest of the world) Head Unit

They say it's technically possible to change it but it's never been done in Australia before...

Do you know of any successful change of head units?