E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

WTH, Another Conti tire needs to be replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
The last time I checked this is IMPOSSIBLE in a Mercedes, maybe you should take it to the dealer and have the esp checked.
It was raining...stopped at a red light...slight incline...hit the gas...rear wheels were spinning for some reason..traction control was still ON as normal....must be the crappy contiprocontacts.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
The last time I checked this is IMPOSSIBLE in a Mercedes, maybe you should take it to the dealer and have the esp checked.
When I first got my Bluetec, the RunFlat Bridgestones were not the greatest from a traction perspective. I could very easily bring the rear end out with the traction control light solidly lit. 400 ft-lbs of torque can do that in an instant.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
Many years ago I had a bad experience with Conti tire with bubble or blisters and I never go back. I'm not saying it is still bad. The tires were nearly new when it happened.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
Originally Posted by ImInPA
When I first got my Bluetec, the RunFlat Bridgestones were not the greatest from a traction perspective. I could very easily bring the rear end out with the traction control light solidly lit. 400 ft-lbs of torque can do that in an instant.
If the ESP program is working correctly the engine won't/shouldn't deliver 400 ft-lbs of torque when it senses traction break-away, as the ESP logic will reduce engine power to re-engage the tires. I've played with my previous rides (E500 and SL500) in the rain (in safe locations of course) and found it interesting to see how the ESP would either brake wheels independently and/or reduce/throttle back engine power, etc. Very dependable. I haven't played with my new ride, but presume it's basically the same - if not better. Don't know if or why the Bluetec would be any different, but trust your observations.
From the 2011 E-series owner manual, "If ESP detects that the vehicle is deviating from the direction desired by the driver, one or more wheels are braked to stabilize the vehicle. If necessary, the engine output is also modified to keep the vehicle on the desired course within physical limits. ESP assists the driver when pulling away on wet or slipper roads. ESP can also stabilize the vehicle during braking. If ESP intervenes, the warning lamp flashes in the instrument cluster."
If anyone can routinely spin out their rear-end with ESP on, I would get it checked by the dealer soonest.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
ESP is a wonderful system to be sure. But, even the manual states it cannot overcome the laws of physics. I wish the Bluetecs came with a true LSD. This car begs for that.