USB CONNECTIONS - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010-present: E 350, E 550

USB CONNECTIONS

Reply

 
 
Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
  #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2017 E300 4matic sport
USB CONNECTIONS

HAVE 2011 E 350. NO USB CONNECTON IN GLOVE BOX.

WOULD LIKE TO DOWNLOAD MP3'S FROM FLASH STICK.

HAS ANYONE ELSE DONE THIS?
MLRLINCOLN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM
  #2
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 752
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
MB will sell you an adapter that plugs into the same socket in the glovebox that the standard Ipod connector plugs in to. Simply unplug the one that came with the car and plug in the one you bought from MB. The run about 50 bucks. If they dealer does not have it in stock they can get it in a about a week.

I did this and it works like a charm. However, you do not down load the data from them memory stick. Rather, the command system reads the memory stick and treats it as aux media. Plays MP3s from the stick just fine and displays the directory structure that you created when you copied the data to the USB stick.
mnje350 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
  #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
listerone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,097
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2014 BMW 328d
Originally Posted by mnje350 View Post
MB will sell you an adapter that plugs into the same socket in the glovebox that the standard Ipod connector plugs in to. Simply unplug the one that came with the car and plug in the one you bought from MB. The run about 50 bucks. If they dealer does not have it in stock they can get it in a about a week.

I did this and it works like a charm. However, you do not down load the data from them memory stick. Rather, the command system reads the memory stick and treats it as aux media. Plays MP3s from the stick just fine and displays the directory structure that you created when you copied the data to the USB stick.
+1....just bought one ($55?...yikes!) and it does work like a charm.Also,I think I've read somewhere (here?...elsewhere?) that you *can* download music to the vehicle's hard drive from this cable.
listerone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM
  #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C220, E350
in canada it comes with the car
peeta123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 PM
  #5
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 752
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
+1....just bought one ($55?...yikes!) and it does work like a charm.Also,I think I've read somewhere (here?...elsewhere?) that you *can* download music to the vehicle's hard drive from this cable.
Wow, I would like to download to the HD if possible. I spent months loading CD's to the hard drive and I would like to be able to easily rewrite it from a download. I hate the thought of a hard disc crash as well. How do you back up the the system?

Anybody know how to do either of these things?
mnje350 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:37 PM
  #6
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA and CA
Posts: 1,303
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by mnje350 View Post
Wow, I would like to download to the HD if possible. I spent months loading CD's to the hard drive and I would like to be able to easily rewrite it from a download. I hate the thought of a hard disc crash as well. How do you back up the the system?

Anybody know how to do either of these things?
Idea: Copy CDs to computer in highest possible quality mode, create the play list on the computer, burn/upsample to DVD-R(s) and then download. Then you have two backups and a portable source. The DVD-R that holds a heck of a lot more than a CD as you know.

From the computer, you MAY also be burn the music to a portable 1 TB Seagate HD that uses both MAC and NTFS on the fly and connects/and is possibly powered by the MB with USB 2, 3 and Firewire. Transfer the music from the Seagate HD through the ipod USB adapter - this gives you another backup and source, perhaps.

PM me if you want more info. Include the system(s) you are using since I did not know the MBs now had hard-drives.

Is there an MB manual online for this audio system? Can someone send me the link?

Why bother to download low fi MP3s when you might be able to have DVD-A quality music?

Last edited by grane; 04-05-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: the mind reels with the possibilities!
grane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 PM
  #7
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Valley of the Sun, Arizona
Posts: 1,794
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by grane View Post
Idea: Copy CDs to computer in highest possible quality mode, create the play list on the computer, burn/upsample to DVD-R(s) and then download. Then you have two backups and a portable source. The DVD-R that holds a heck of a lot more than a CD as you know.

From the computer, you MAY also be burn the music to a portable 1 TB Seagate HD that uses both MAC and NTFS on the fly and connects/and is possibly powered by the MB with USB 2, 3 and Firewire. Transfer the music from the Seagate HD through the ipod USB adapter - this gives you another backup and source, perhaps.

PM me if you want more info. Include the system(s) you are using since I did not know the MBs now had hard-drives.

Is there an MB manual online for this audio system? Can someone send me the link?

Why bother to download low fi MP3s when you might be able to have DVD-A quality music?
The COMAND Manual is under 2010 Owner's Manuals.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals
BudC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM
  #8
Super Member
 
dariusf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago (Palos Park)
Posts: 968
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CLK320, E350 (2011)
Let me clarify a few things if I may

Originally Posted by grane View Post
Idea: Copy CDs to computer in highest possible quality mode, create the play list on the computer, burn/upsample to DVD-R(s) and then download.
You can't copy CDs to a computer, you can extract the audio as WAV and encode it in to some compression format. Not sure 100% but I think COMMAND might only understand MP3, might be wrong here as I have not looked at it yet. There are many levels of MP3 quality you can use when you encode. I like 320kbps CBR (constant bit rate) using EAC to extract and lame to encode.

You can't upsample the sound quality when you burn to a DVD, all you are doing is burning the encoded files in what ever quality they are on to the media, DVD-R in your case.

Originally Posted by grane View Post
From the computer, you MAY also be burn the music to a portable 1 TB Seagate HD that uses both MAC and NTFS on the fly and connects/and is possibly powered by the MB with USB 2, 3 and Firewire. Transfer the music from the Seagate HD through the ipod USB adapter - this gives you another backup and source, perhaps.
I'm a bit confused here with MAC and NTFS? What do you mean by MAC? You mean HFS file system used my Mac computers? I would think COMMAND needs FAT to be able to read the drive. Not sure if the USB connection provided by MB will have power to run external hard drive. There is no FireWire option on the MB. Hardly anything now days uses it. Also there is an indication that COMMAND does not allow to copy files threw the USB connection, only play them back.

Originally Posted by grane View Post
Why bother to download low fi MP3s when you might be able to have DVD-A quality music?
Simply burning audio tracks in to a DVD will not magically give you a DVD-Audio quality. DVD-Audio like SACD is a higher-fidelity audio recording by using a higher bit depths and sample rates. A DVD-Audio disc may contain a 96 kHz/24-bit 5.1-channel audio track or/and 192 kHz/24-bit stereo etc. That is what gives higher sound fidelity over the red book (CD) 44.1kHz/16bit. You have to start with high-fidelity audio. There are also very few tools available to allow one to extract and copy the sound at that quality to another format white maintaining the same quality/resolution and limited playback options.

Last edited by dariusf; 04-07-2011 at 07:06 PM.
dariusf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 AM
  #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 393
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450, 2003 E500 (GONE)
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
+1....just bought one ($55?...yikes!) and it does work like a charm.Also,I think I've read somewhere (here?...elsewhere?) that you *can* download music to the vehicle's hard drive from this cable.
Would anyone happen to have part number for the USB cable? My parts guys at MB Escondido haven't heard of it (go figure...).
MB500 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 AM
  #10
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paradise
Posts: 2,056
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w212 E550
mb500, if you can wait, i could possibly save you over $50. i bought a 3.5mm to usb female converter but haven't received it yet. if it works, the cable is only $3 from ebay. however, if you can't wait, you can also find the oem cable set from ebay for around $50. i mean cable set because it comes with three individual cables: usb, ipod and 3.5mm.
BM2BZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 AM
  #11
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,476
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by MB500 View Post
Would anyone happen to have part number for the USB cable? My parts guys at MB Escondido haven't heard of it (go figure...).

Go to your dealer and look at the accessories booklet. The USB cable is there and amazingly it is not listed in MB parts computer system for E class. I bought it and the bag it comes in has all cars listed what it is made for and the E class is the first one on this list. Works well.

Last edited by Arrie; 02-11-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Arrie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:11 PM
  #12
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
konigstiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 8,641
Thanked 541 Times in 464 Posts
'71 Pinto
Media Interface USB cable part # 2048270304 (see page 12 & 22) MSRP $65

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...s_brochure.pdf
konigstiger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:18 PM
  #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 393
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450, 2003 E500 (GONE)
Thank you all for your insight!
MB500 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 PM
  #14
Member
 
tjkaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: So.Cal., US
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 E550
Originally Posted by MB500 View Post
Thank you all for your insight!
You might want to give this a try to save some money. Couldn't find any compatibility notes, but would think that MB only used one connector for the MM interface. If it doesn't work, Amazon has a great return policy.
tjkaz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 PM
  #15
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paradise
Posts: 2,056
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w212 E550
i think this will work but it's $30 for one. some guys on ebay have 3 different oem ones for around $50 or a bit more. you can put the other two back up on ebay if you don't want them.
BM2BZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 AM
  #16
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paradise
Posts: 2,056
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by BM2BZ View Post
mb500, if you can wait, i could possibly save you over $50. i bought a 3.5mm to usb female converter but haven't received it yet. if it works, the cable is only $3 from ebay. however, if you can't wait, you can also find the oem cable set from ebay for around $50. i mean cable set because it comes with three individual cables: usb, ipod and 3.5mm.
ok, update of my own post. that friggin' 3.5mm to usb female converter cable doesn't work. waited two long weeks and wasted my whooping $2.98 . don't want to order the ipod usb converter/adapter and go through this whole process again. maybe just stick w/ipod. want to plug in a portable hard drive, though .

btw, burnt some mp3 to a dvd+rw but showed unreadable. do you guys have any ideas ?

also, if i do get the usb female adapter for ipod which i can plug in the cable that came with the car in the glove box. do you think it's workable if i plug either a usb flash drive or portable hard drive w/tons of mp3's ?
BM2BZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
amusicianslife
Mercedes Vehicles
14
09-18-2016 12:31 AM
sidewayzgt
E-Class (W211)
9
01-20-2016 11:13 PM
Joseph Magsalay
S-Class (W220)
1
09-30-2015 06:03 AM
RJC
New S-Class (W222)
0
09-28-2015 04:24 PM
SERGEY
New S-Class (W222)
0
09-28-2015 02:11 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: