E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Adding a sub/amp advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E300
Adding a sub/amp advice.

I tried searching for this with no luck....so forgive me if I missed some previous threads regarding this topic.

I am trying to add an amp and sub to my new E. I have P1 car with the Harmon/ Kardon sound.

Has anyone done this?

I located the amp on the drivers side of the car in the trunk, so I am guessing I can get a sound signal from there. I located the fuse box on the passenger side of the trunk, so I am confident I can get power there. I have installed car audio before, but never in a German car. Does anyone have any advice on how they linked in to the stock radio?

By the way, I have an MTX amp and an JL audio sub.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
You don't say, but, if you have the HK system you will find a small (160 claimed watts) amp in the rear deck next to the "sub". The amp in the side driver's side panel is the 4 or 5 channel amp depending on the system you have.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 W212, 1985 C10
check with jbondox, he knows lots about this kind of stuff. He helped me out a lot with my "add-a-sub" questions. I found him hanging out in the car audio section
Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
Power for you amp will be coming directly from the battery and not the fuseboxes. The signal going into the stock amp is probably a balanced differential signal. You would need a line output converter that can convert balanced signals down to a low level signal for the sub amp.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 & s212
Originally Posted by MjkE350
I located the amp on the drivers side of the car in the trunk, so I am guessing I can get a sound signal from there. I located the fuse box on the passenger side of the trunk, so I am confident I can get power there.
i'm not an expert at this but i did observe my audio guy putting in my system. you're pretty much on the right track. the stock amp to get signal is in the car trunk on the driver side while they used the fuse box on the passenger side of the trunk to tap into a power signal while the main power is linked up to the battery like MCD said above.

here is a link to my setup if some of the pictures may help you out.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...l-my-e350.html