E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2012 E class to replace G37 Sport, need some feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E class to replace G37 Sport, need some feedback

Hello!
I am thinking of E350 4 matic sport,, p2 package, wheel package and lane assist package ( I think is a new standalone option in 2012) to replace my G37 Sport

I did some test drives a few months ago, all AWD cars and liked the E350 sport over 535 M Sport
In favor of E were the looks, seats and overall solidity and calmness ( i mean cleaner interior design, smoother operation, valut like feel etc) , The 5 was a little better with its 8 speed shift speeds and its comport seats although having various adjustments never felt as goos as E seats- Sometimes less is more i guess

I know few have posted the E sport is rough on bad roads, is it that bad?, would you now consider the luxury model at the expense of handling?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 04-24-2011, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by smjc_99
Hello!
I am thinking of E350 4 matic sport,, p2 package, wheel package and lane assist package ( I think is a new standalone option in 2012) to replace my G37 Sport

I did some test drives a few months ago, all AWD cars and liked the E350 sport over 535 M Sport
In favor of E were the looks, seats and overall solidity and calmness ( i mean cleaner interior design, smoother operation, valut like feel etc) , The 5 was a little better with its 8 speed shift speeds and its comport seats although having various adjustments never felt as goos as E seats- Sometimes less is more i guess

I know few have posted the E sport is rough on bad roads, is it that bad?, would you now consider the luxury model at the expense of handling?

Handling at anything short of "full-on" is very similar. I have the Luxury edition and find the handling very good and the ride excellent. If you are primarily looking for handling and sport, you may be better suited elsewhere. Not that the E's are slugs at handling, but, there are other brands that may be better handlers. AMG is the ticket if you are dead set on MB.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Good choice, and my sentiments exactly, regarding its merits over the 5-Series.

I guess it depends on the person, but IMO the ride quality on rough roads IS that bad, only considering how well the car rides on good roads, and how good and compliant the suspension is otherwise.

I don't know how handling between the Luxo and Sport compare, but handling is very low in my care/necessities from a car like this. I'm sure the Luxo rides much better over rough patches, and my main personal reason for going "Sport" was the aesthetic look. If that doesn't matter to you, or if you're partial to the Luxo models look, then it may be a better choice.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E3504M
I just came out of my G35 into an E3504M. I have only had my vehicle for about a month so others may know better then I do, although I have been driving over Ohio, end of winter, potholes for a month. Yea I feel them, but I do not expect my car to drive through a hole and not feel it. I like the fact that I can feel the road. While maybe I may change my mind in the future, I can tell you that the E350 drives unbelievable as compared to the G35. I do not think you will ever go wrong with this car. If I were you I would take a test drive over a rough road and see what you think. If you need to drive many rough roads faster then a normal speed maybe it may be a problem. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:49 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Our BMW came with run flats and they contributed to the cars rough ride much more than the sport suspension did.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 PM

A few different ones
I find my E350 4matic with Sport to be one of the smoothest cars ever on all types of roads ... we have a GL450 with ther air suspension which I thought was smooth but compared to the E ... the E is much smoother.

Also compared to my BMW 650i the E is considerably smoother and forget comparing it to my 911
Old 04-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 Sport Sedan Blk/Blk
I went from a G35 Coupe to a 2010 E550, don't regret it one bit.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

'05 C55 AMG '15 Jeep SRT '11 G37S
Originally Posted by smjc_99
Hello!

Just curious, what yr was your G37? Sedan or Coupe? Just picked up an '11 G37S for the wife a couple months ago and she loves it. We did also drive the new 550, great looking car, drives/handles very well, but couldn't get over the ugly interior. My boss just picked up a E350 and its a beaut....I'd go with that.