Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by ghstudio
The information on the B pillar is dictated by NHTSA and other US government agencies.

Mercedes has chosen to help drivers find the tire pressure they should use under normal driving conditions with the auxilliary label on the gas filler door.
A kindness passed on by Volvo and one which I discovered in 1999. Way before the Ford Exploder/Expedition disaster. That debacle gave us the TPMS system. Mine reads 1/2 pound higher than my digital gauge when cold.

My wife knows how to use the table on the filler door.

Wayne
Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
When I determined what my best TP should be, I made a couple of labels and placed one on the filler door and one on the "B" pillar.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c-240
2012 E classes don't have the number on the gass door.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by lamscott
2012 E classes don't have the number on the gass door.
That is strange. Where is the chart? Anywhere? Did they move it? Was it just missing from one example you looked at? What does the manual say?

Wayne
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c-240
Originally Posted by venchka
That is strange. Where is the chart? Anywhere? Did they move it? Was it just missing from one example you looked at? What does the manual say?

Wayne
It is only on the Bpillar.

The manual just says to refer to the Bpillar.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:39 PM

2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by Live Oak
IMO, if you buy a $50,000 - 70,000 car, you should buy a really good tire gauge, such as Joes Racing 32307 Tire Pressure Gauge. ($24 on Amazon)

Check and set your tires, when cold, to the pressure you deem correct based on the gas filler door. Use your gauge to do it. IMO, humble as my opinion is, ignore the variety of of old-wives' tales, etc, on radical ideas about what tire pressures REALLY should be. Mercedes, and the tire companies know, and there are no big conspiracies out there. (And re: 9/11, either)

THEN, while still cold, reset the TPMS. TPMS will invariably give you numbers different from your gauge. That's expected, and OK . . . you know what they really are.

From that point on, ignore the pressures TPMS presents in COMAND. Just use it as a warning device. If any tire departs markedly from the setting you will get a warning. If you get a warning, use your gauge, while the tires are cold, to confirm that the pressure is different from that you set using the filler door settings. Again, ignore the numbers from TPMS except to get a feeling as to which direction things are going.

IOW, TPMs is not a precision tire pressure device, but it is a hell of a good variance warning device, and safety device, thus it is a great feature.

As for tire wear, the Central Tools 3S401 Digital Tire Tread Depth Gage is a great idea, although kind of expensive. (What are you going to do with all that money? Leave it to your kids?)
I agree. I check and adjust TP at home with the tires COLD using an accurate digital gauge. I have checked this gauge with another for consistency. I then turn on the COMMAND TP and receive the message that you must drive the car before the pressure will display. After a short distance the TPMS will display. The TPMS when read this way in my vehicle is within one psi of my tire gauge.

The most important feature of TPMS as stated by Live Oak is, it is an indication of variance. Pay attention to differences left to right. One psi is meaningless. It may be the side of the car facing the sun raising the temp while parked. Thy should be the same left to right on the same axle after being driven a while.

Ambient temperature affects TP. Ten degrees F will change the psi by a pound or so. Tires can easily lose a pound a month unrelated to any deficiency.

A run on the highway at moderate speed can raise the psi by 3-5 pounds depending on temp, speed and inflation pressure, the more sidewalls flex the more heat is generated.

I set my tires at 33 front 34 rear, when lightly loaded and driven at normal speeds. My gas door says 32/33. On a long highway trip with luggage I will raise the inflation pressure.

You can also monitor your tread depth. It should be consistent from the outer edges to the center.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by RSIKR
You can also monitor your tread depth. It should be consistent from the outer edges to the center.
I've tried this approach, but I've never mastered how to do this at 60 mph
Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 PM

2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by ghstudio
I've tried this approach, but I've never mastered how to do this at 60 mph
LOL. Try doing it with the vehicle stopped using a gauge. Tough to do with the vehicle in motion. New TPMS on the 2030 models will have that feature while in motion.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
IMO, if you buy a $50,000 - 70,000 car, you should buy a really good tire gauge, such as Joes Racing 32307 Tire Pressure Gauge. ($24 on Amazon)

Check and set your tires, when cold, to the pressure you deem correct based on the gas filler door. Use your gauge to do it. IMO, humble as my opinion is, ignore the variety of of old-wives' tales, etc, on radical ideas about what tire pressures REALLY should be. Mercedes, and the tire companies know, and there are no big conspiracies out there. (And re: 9/11, either)

THEN, while still cold, reset the TPMS. TPMS will invariably give you numbers different from your gauge. That's expected, and OK . . . you know what they really are.

From that point on, ignore the pressures TPMS presents in COMAND. Just use it as a warning device. If any tire departs markedly from the setting you will get a warning. If you get a warning, use your gauge, while the tires are cold, to confirm that the pressure is different from that you set using the filler door settings. Again, ignore the numbers from TPMS except to get a feeling as to which direction things are going.

IOW, TPMs is not a precision tire pressure device, but it is a hell of a good variance warning device, and safety device, thus it is a great feature.

As for tire wear, the Central Tools 3S401 Digital Tire Tread Depth Gage is a great idea, although kind of expensive. (What are you going to do with all that money? Leave it to your kids?)
Originally Posted by RSIKR
I agree. I check and adjust TP at home with the tires COLD using an accurate digital gauge. I have checked this gauge with another for consistency. I then turn on the COMMAND TP and receive the message that you must drive the car before the pressure will display. After a short distance the TPMS will display. The TPMS when read this way in my vehicle is within one psi of my tire gauge.

The most important feature of TPMS as stated by Live Oak is, it is an indication of variance. Pay attention to differences left to right. One psi is meaningless. It may be the side of the car facing the sun raising the temp while parked. Thy should be the same left to right on the same axle after being driven a while.

Ambient temperature affects TP. Ten degrees F will change the psi by a pound or so. Tires can easily lose a pound a month unrelated to any deficiency.

A run on the highway at moderate speed can raise the psi by 3-5 pounds depending on temp, speed and inflation pressure, the more sidewalls flex the more heat is generated.

I set my tires at 33 front 34 rear, when lightly loaded and driven at normal speeds. My gas door says 32/33. On a long highway trip with luggage I will raise the inflation pressure.

Spot on but I'd like to add a comment. There is no absolute correct tire pressure for all cars. The numbers on the B pillar or the gas door are mere guidelines.

The loading for a 99lb female is different from two 250lb guys with golf clubs in the back.

In general, the numbers provided by the manufacturer are a compromise between gas mileage, comfort and tire wear.

Let's assume that you are a 180lb guy who generally drives alone on city streets. You may want to tend towards the lower part of the scale for comfort - unless you are faced with lots of potholes so you may want to increase the pressure to give you more wheel protection.) If you are driving primarily freeways then you might want to bump up the pressure a bit.

The bottom line is that the numbers are a good place to start. You should adjust up or down depending on your driving conditions but don't evergo below about 25psi or over the number printed on the sidewall of the tire. In general, you'll find your sweet spot within 5psi of the numbers recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550 4Matic
Question tire sidewall blowouts and tire pressure

would like others opinion on this.

we have a 2011 E550 4matic sport with the 18" 245/50s. We have gone through 4 tires already due to sidewall tears from hitting potholes, etc.

I think we have been inflating the tires to about 30-32 per the various labels. but based on this, I am wondering if I should consider putting more air into the tires. would that help with firming up the tire and possibly reducing tire failures?

thanks for the throughts.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by ILMBDriver
We have gone through 4 tires already due to sidewall tears from hitting potholes, etc.
Uh, what brand and model tire is that???

Are you in New Jersey??
Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 PM

2015 S550 4Matic
Not Jearsey...Chicago!

tires are Pirelli PZeros 245/40R18
Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
I would increase the pressures to those on B pillar or more. I run my tires at 34 front and 38 rear. I have not had any issues with tire or rim damage with potholes so far with these pressures in 40K miles.

The higher pressure actually helps the tire respond better to impact and protects the sidewalls.

That said, I have friends in Chicago that have had to switch from cars to SUVs to endure the immense potholes you have there!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by ILMBDriver
Not Jearsey...Chicago!
Send a bill to your new mayor!!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM

2015 S550 4Matic
Send a bill to your new mayor!!
tried that twice and i got back a nice form letter thanking me for letting them know about the potholes.

i think they then made two more for us to drive into.

what a great city!

Old 08-02-2017, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I use the gas door numbers too.....although my tpms RARELY displays the correct numbers anyway....they're always different, usually a few pounds.....
My TPMS shows 1 PSI extra compared to the original one (which indicated at the Xact Air pumps, Shell).
However, I did 40PSI on all 4, from next time, I'll make it 38.