PLEASE ADVISE ON MY SITUATION

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011E350
PLEASE ADVISE ON MY SITUATION

Hello all,

I am so glad I found this site and I hope you all can help me with my situation. I bought a black 2011 E350 five months ago and three weeks ago, my car was involved in a heavy hail storm. The car was hosed from head to toes. I use the dealer repair facility three weeks ago and today I requested to pay a visit to see how things are going.

When I got there, I was advised that the car has been painted (all except the right front and back doors), all the dents were removed through PDR and the car is in the assembling stage. Upon close inspection, I notice there is difference between the original MB on the doors and the new paint job on the hood in terms of smoothness. I was advised they had to replace the hood entirely (it came as unpainted from factory as I was advised). I can see the original paint is very smooth, mirror like while the newly painted hood has a rough surface texture to it. I can tell the new paint job is not glass smooth when compared to the original even a couple feet away. I mentioned this to the manager and his reply was that "we didn't bring you here to judge the quality" and this work is like "a cake still in the owen" and I am not to judge the final outcome. I can tell he was very offended by my concerns.

I politely agreed to him and he assures me the final paint job "will match".

I don't know if I am too quickly to judge because maybe the paint will need to be buffed out further or new coats to be added? I think what I see is what I will get because I believe the paint job is done or else the car would not in the assembling stage. Is it realistic to expect the repair paint job to match the original? I was assured that any repair will return the car to pre-accident level and in case the repair is not to what I expect, what course of action should be taken with my insurance and the repair facility? Any comments will be appreciated.

Worried E350 owner. DP

Last edited by dai phan; 04-27-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by dai phan
Hello all,

I am so glad I found this site and I hope you all can help me with my situation. I bought a black 2011 E350 five months ago and three weeks ago, my car was involved in a heavy hail storm. The car was hosed from head to toes. I use the dealer repair facility three weeks ago and today I requested to pay a visit to see how things are going.

When I got there, I was advised that the car has been painted (all except the right front and back doors), all the dents were removed through PDR and the car is in the assembling stage. Upon close inspection, I notice there is difference between the original MB on the doors and the new paint job on the hood in terms of smoothness. I was advised they had to replace the hood entirely (it came as unpainted from factory as I was advised). I can see the original paint is very smooth, mirror like while the newly painted hood has a rough surface texture to it. I can tell the new paint job is not glass smooth when compared to the original even a couple feet away. I mentioned this to the manager and his reply was that "we didn't bring you here to judge the quality" and this work is like "a cake still in the owen" and I am not to judge the final outcome. I can tell he was very offended by my concerns.

I politely agreed to him and he assures me the final paint job "will match".

I don't know if I am too quickly to judge because maybe the paint will need to be buffed out further or new coats to be added? I think what I see is what I will get because I believe the paint job is done or else the car would not in the assembling stage. Is it realistic to expect the repair paint job to match the original? I was assured that any repair will return the car to pre-accident level and in case the repair is not to what I expect, what course of action should be taken with my insurance and the repair facility? Any comments will be appreciated.

Worried E350 owner. DP
The final phase of a new paint job is to have it buffed and polished. This generally eliminates the "rough" surface texture and/or orange peel. It sounds like they have not done that yet. In any event, The paint should match exactly. If you have the plain black (040) it is one of the easiest colors to match.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Our 2004 W211 was hammered by hail up in Montana. Since aluminum can't be popped out like steel can, the hood and trunk lid had to be replaced. On the W212, even the front fenders are aluminum and they would have to be replaced also.

Phoenix Motor Company (Mercedes dealer) did the repair work and you couldn't tell it from the original. It did take them quite a while to do the job.

The point is that it CAN be perfect. If an insurance company is paying for it you have them on your side to make it happen.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 PM

2011E350
Originally Posted by BudC
Our 2004 W211 was hammered by hail up in Montana. Since aluminum can't be popped out like steel can, the hood and trunk lid had to be replaced. On the W212, even the front fenders are aluminum and they would have to be replaced also.

Phoenix Motor Company (Mercedes dealer) did the repair work and you couldn't tell it from the original. It did take them quite a while to do the job.

The point is that it CAN be perfect. If an insurance company is paying for it you have them on your side to make it happen.
I bought the car in on 4/11 and I was advised today that it even may be ready by tommorow (4/27/11). However after today's visit I have a feeling that they are going to keep the car perhaps a bit longer. Once I get a call from the dealer, I will bring a friend along so we can look at it together. I believe the new paint job must match the original paint when the car was just bought in December 2010. DP
Old 04-27-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
If I brought my car to the dealer and was told that "we didn't bring you in here to judge the quality" I would have thrown a ****-fit. You're driving a brand new, $60K+ vehicle and they have the audacity to speak to you in that manner?

They're in the business of customer service and satisfaction. If they can't get it right, I suggest you speak to someone at MB that can. He has some nerve to say that to you.

With that said, revisit this issue once the buff/polish phase is complete and don't let them strong arm you into accepting any work that you're unhappy with or deem unsatisfactory.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
Originally Posted by BK63amg
If I brought my car to the dealer and was told that "we didn't bring you in here to judge the quality" I would have thrown a ****-fit. You're driving a brand new, $60K+ vehicle and they have the audacity to speak to you in that manner?

They're in the business of customer service and satisfaction. If they can't get it right, I suggest you speak to someone at MB that can. He has some nerve to say that to you.

With that said, revisit this issue once the buff/polish phase is complete and don't let them strong arm you into accepting any work that you're unhappy with or deem unsatisfactory.
+1

anybody who talks like that to a customer should be fired immediately
Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
Does insurance cover hail damage?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Where is the paint shop that you took it to? Is it a certified M-B Shop?

I've learned that with paint shops, you want them to know from the get-go that you are VERY "OCD" and particular about your car, and get a verbal (or written) agreement that if you aren't 100% satisfied and if it doesn't 100% match the original quality, they will re-do it, or you won't pay. Finding and fighting to get your car put into a high end Paint Shop is also very important. However, you should wait for the final product before you judge. And his comments that he made to you are absurd! I'd be very upset, but obviously you don't wanna rock the boat while he's still working on your car.

As for matching, I had a 3 year old E-Class before this one that had to have the whole door repainted (and outer fender/door blended). It came out absolutely PERFECT, FLAWLESS. A great paint shop can match even a decent quality paint perfectly, expect nothing less. You shouldn't be able to tell a difference in person, under any light (do tests in the sun, under flourescent lighting, etc.), and it should look perfectly matched in photos as well.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
and this work is like "a cake still in the owen"
I agree 100%. You should order a car from MB and travel to Stuttgart, halfway through the production line you should complain that it doesn't look like the car you ordered.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by park423
Does insurance cover hail damage?
Mine did (State Farm) They covered damage on an E320 that occurred in Montana and on a 190D that occurred in Wyoming.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
I had planned to get my E550 in Diamond White and I asked the dealer if they could match that paint in case of an accident. They assured me they could despite the special way that color is done. I got silver instead because Mercedes no longer offered light colored interiors.

Last edited by BudC; 04-27-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
White and blacks are cinches to match I hear. I've heard that Diamond White is extremely hard, which is kind of a put off to such a gorgeous color, unfortunately.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 AM

2011E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Where is the paint shop that you took it to? Is it a certified M-B Shop?

I've learned that with paint shops, you want them to know from the get-go that you are VERY "OCD" and particular about your car, and get a verbal (or written) agreement that if you aren't 100% satisfied and if it doesn't 100% match the original quality, they will re-do it, or you won't pay. Finding and fighting to get your car put into a high end Paint Shop is also very important. However, you should wait for the final product before you judge. And his comments that he made to you are absurd! I'd be very upset, but obviously you don't wanna rock the boat while he's still working on your car.

As for matching, I had a 3 year old E-Class before this one that had to have the whole door repainted (and outer fender/door blended). It came out absolutely PERFECT, FLAWLESS. A great paint shop can match even a decent quality paint perfectly, expect nothing less. You shouldn't be able to tell a difference in person, under any light (do tests in the sun, under flourescent lighting, etc.), and it should look perfectly matched in photos as well.
Hello,

When State Farm sent me a list of "preferred vendors" I notice a place that has the same name as the dealer. So I called my MB dealer and I was advised that all paint jobs/repairs go to this place so that is why I choose it. When I came to see the car yesterday, I immediately notice the difference of the new and original paint and that was why I bought it to the manager's attention. I was advised the car should be ready may be even today but I have a feeling that I won't get it from what happened yesterday. If the car is not to my satisfaction, I will NOT pick up the car and I will then talk to my SF agent. DP

Last edited by dai phan; 04-28-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 AM

2011E350
Originally Posted by BudC

Hello

I wonder on how they paint the car during the repair process. I think at MB manufacturer place, the car is painted via automation while at repair facility, a guy in a space suit paints the car with the spray gun like at Macco? DP
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Hello

I wonder on how they paint the car during the repair process. I think at MB manufacturer place, the car is painted via automation while at repair facility, a guy in a space suit paints the car with the spray gun like at Macco? DP
I know new cars are painted that way but it's done on a body in the white, not on a finished car. I expect things like the hood and trunk lid are painted off the car.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:27 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,393 Likes on 2,840 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I agree 100%. You should order a car from MB and travel to Stuttgart, halfway through the production line you should complain that it doesn't look like the car you ordered.

what a helpful comment..........just stick to the topic right? isn't that what you always say?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Personally I would use a high quality shop that does only paint and body work, not a dealership. There is something to be said for a company that does nothing but repair and repaint bodies.
Have used one shop for three cars and couldn't tell newly painted/repaired from original and each was at least one year old at time of repair.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 AM

2011E350
Hello all,

I came to pick up the car on 4/29/11 after getting a phone call from the manager. I was advised the car went through "100 point check list" before it is released to the consumer. Well, I was extremely dissappointed when I saw the paint job because there was orange peel in so many places it ain't even funny! This was my concern when I paid a visit two days before. The manager told me he would have the car resanded and rebuff and it will be ready today (5/2) by 5:00 pm. I just don't have a good feeling on this at all but I will let you all know... I can't believe they would release the 60K car in that condition! I bought with me two other friends and they both shook their heads in disbelief.

One more thing, they had to replace the front winshield and should I be entitled to MB original product or knock offs? I notice the replacement one has US toll free phone numbers on it. Thank you for your helpful comments. DP
Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
There are no aftermarkket Windshields available for the W212 at this time (just had one replaced. Unless your insurance company offers coverage that insures OEM parts, you are pretty much at their mercy.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,393 Likes on 2,840 Posts
2012 CLS63
this sounds very frustrating......good luck to you sir.....
Old 05-02-2011, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by El Cid
Personally I would use a high quality shop that does only paint and body work, not a dealership. There is something to be said for a company that does nothing but repair and repaint bodies.
Have used one shop for three cars and couldn't tell newly painted/repaired from original and each was at least one year old at time of repair.
It depends on the dealer. Phoenix Motor Company gets all of State Farm's Mercedes repairs in the Phoenix area. They did a perfect job on my 2004 Pewter E320 that had been damaged by hail. Also, State Farm pays for the use of OEM parts.