E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Anyone thinking of switching out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2011 | 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by RJC
KA was the dash covered in leather by chance? Why can't this be an option in the E?
Took an extensive test drive in A7 last night - top of the line Prestige model, as in KA's pictures. Prestige is "like" E sport - different bumpers than other A7s (E luxury) plus loaded with other goodies.

RJC, dash is not covered in leather nor the door trim, nor the console - clearly not in CLS league. If anything interior looks inferior to E (interior is the least what I like in E, except E63's).

After loving and admiring new 2011 A8's interior - clearly best/rechest interior in cars under $100K IMO, A7's interior, especially considering price of Prestige model - anywhere from $68K to $80K, it completely turned me off the car. That plastic (extreamly cheap looking) piece between rear seats has no place in any Audi, especially so priced.

Driving. Handling was superb as in all Audis (A6 4.2 and A8) I've owned before - much sportier and precise that any E (except E63). Acceleration was more than acceptable if you're coming from E350 (much faster than E, but did not have a feel of V8 which it does not have of course), but no where near E550. Priced option for option, considering actual price (not MSRP) A7 Prestige is at least $10K more than E550 4matic. I'll take E550 4matic over A7 Prestige, no questions.

Unlike, KA though, I did love A7' exterior styling (Prestige much more than other A7s) over E - I always loved 4 door hatchback styling - Mazda 626, Merkur Scorpion (and what was the name of that British car that was based on Acura Legend?) from mid to late 80s.

Looks alone, however, were not able to persuade me to go from E to A7 - luck of acceleration compared to E550 and disappointing interior (comparing to what I was hoping for a mini A8 touches) were too apparanet to ignore. Now when S7 comes out, it maybe a different story, but then it will be priced as E63.
Old 05-17-2011 | 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Sterling was the Acura Legend based British Leland automobile.
Old 05-17-2011 | 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, I remember now, thanks.
Old 05-17-2011 | 11:07 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by threeMBs
Took an extensive test drive in A7 last night - top of the line Prestige model, as in KA's pictures. Prestige is "like" E sport - different bumpers than other A7s (E luxury) plus loaded with other goodies.

RJC, dash is not covered in leather nor the door trim, nor the console - clearly not in CLS league. If anything interior looks inferior to E (interior is the least what I like in E, except E63's).

After loving and admiring new 2011 A8's interior - clearly best/rechest interior in cars under $100K IMO, A7's interior, especially considering price of Prestige model - anywhere from $68K to $80K, it completely turned me off the car. That plastic (extreamly cheap looking) piece between rear seats has no place in any Audi, especially so priced.

Driving. Handling was superb as in all Audis (A6 4.2 and A8) I've owned before - much sportier and precise that any E (except E63). Acceleration was more than acceptable if you're coming from E350 (much faster than E, but did not have a feel of V8 which it does not have of course), but no where near E550. Priced option for option, considering actual price (not MSRP) A7 Prestige is at least $10K more than E550 4matic. I'll take E550 4matic over A7 Prestige, no questions.

Unlike, KA though, I did love A7' exterior styling (Prestige much more than other A7s) over E - I always loved 4 door hatchback styling - Mazda 626, Merkur Scorpion (and what was the name of that British car that was based on Acura Legend?) from mid to late 80s.

Looks alone, however, were not able to persuade me to go from E to A7 - luck of acceleration compared to E550 and disappointing interior (comparing to what I was hoping for a mini A8 touches) were too apparanet to ignore. Now when S7 comes out, it maybe a different story, but then it will be priced as E63.
Great write up, quite surprised by the interior let down, very un-Audi like.
Old 05-17-2011 | 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

RJC,

Two more A7 related points:

1. Negative - new CLS (and even current one) interior is far, far superior to A7. As a matter of taste, I would place new CLS dash second only to SL in MB lineup (IMHO), and not far "behind" (actually very close) that of new A8. For proof all you have to look at is the area between rear seats on both CLS (new or current) and A7, and that's mind you for almost identically priced cars.

2. Positive - A7 is quite a large car by its dimentions (195" long). It has far more room than CLS (comparing to current CLS of course) especially in the rear where I found getting in and out the rear easier than even W212 E. Also A7 (proper) shifter is in its appropriate place on the console.

I was ready to switch from E to A7 immediately based on exterior alone, however once I got inside (interior is the most important for me) top of the line A7, my interest vanished completely (luck of accelaration as compared to E550 did not help either). Now I'm thinking about A8 again - for "only" $15K or so over A7, it is actually a good value (can't believe I'm saying this about a $90K car).
Old 05-17-2011 | 02:50 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

3mb's

Don't you think you should wait and see the new CLS before going to the A8, or have you already? Does the new CLS have the column shifter now...I wouldnt like that at all.
Old 05-17-2011 | 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Has anyone sat in the back of the new CLS yet? I balked pretty quickly a few years back when I realized the back seat was almost useless with my head pretty much grazing the roof. I like my passengers to be comfy. Also, I'm having a hard time getting over the fact my 2009 E has some quite nice luxury features the new E and CLS do not have. Rear automatic climate control with digital controls, rear roof-mounted ambient lighting and the new CLS has those silly analog climate controls which only adjust in 2 degree increments. These may seem like petty gripes to most but I hate that we're taking steps in the wrong direction with these cars even though they have come down some on price. Guess MB has to save those dollars somewhere...
Old 05-17-2011 | 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Has anyone sat in the back of the new CLS yet? I balked pretty quickly a few years back when I realized the back seat was almost useless with my head pretty much grazing the roof. I like my passengers to be comfy. Also, I'm having a hard time getting over the fact my 2009 E has some quite nice luxury features the new E and CLS do not have. Rear automatic climate control with digital controls, rear roof-mounted ambient lighting and the new CLS has those silly analog climate controls which only adjust in 2 degree increments. These may seem like petty gripes to most but I hate that we're taking steps in the wrong direction with these cars even though they have come down some on price. Guess MB has to save those dollars somewhere...
Points in bold is what is and has been killing MB. Literally.

People will pay for quality, but when you stick an expensive price tag on a problem child..well you want to dump that off ASAP.
Old 05-17-2011 | 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bigben320e
Points in bold is what is and has been killing MB. Literally.

People will pay for quality, but when you stick an expensive price tag on a problem child..well you want to dump that off ASAP.
Me too. Seriously, I'm buying a 60, 70 or 80 thousand dollar car here MB. What do I care to save a few thousand for a product that clearly shows where those savings came from? None. If I did I'd go buy a Lexus.
Old 05-17-2011 | 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
3mb's

Don't you think you should wait and see the new CLS before going to the A8, or have you already? Does the new CLS have the column shifter now...I wouldnt like that at all.
RJC,

New CLS is already on mbusa.com. Layout is similar to E - only CLS63 (just like E63) version will get console mounted shifter. CLS will be similarly priced to similarly equipped A8 SWB - A8 has a lot more room, quattro is supurb. And while A8 will be nowhere as quick as CLS, it is already pleanty quick/fast and its interior (A8s that is) is to die for. Oh and you can run 21s on A8, maybe even 22s (I know, 22s will kill the car's performace/handling envelope). Not saying I would, just bringing it up.
I will reserve CLS exterior judgement untill I see it, but I'm not crasy about direction MB is taking with all its cars. Not crazy about A8's exterior either (I would prefer A7's much more), but it is what it is. An ideal car for me would be: A7 Prestige exterior with A8 SWB sport package interior and current MB V8 NA engine.
Old 05-17-2011 | 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Me too. Seriously, I'm buying a 60, 70 or 80 thousand dollar car here MB. What do I care to save a few thousand for a product that clearly shows where those savings came from? None. If I did I'd go buy a Lexus.
Good point.

I have to say this...I don't feel the LED's on the front of the new MB's. I just can't put my finger quite on it, but they look out of place, like they were an "afterthought" and just stuck on. IDK...

The sides...I am not really feeling it on the CLS. I will go by a dealer on day and look at one close up perhaps that will change. It certainly did not change on the Panamera, I still think it has a big butt weird design. Another point I don't like on the new CLS, NO STICK SHIFT on the 550, I think the grandpa column shifter on a Sports Sedan is totally out of place.

Just my thoughts..
Old 05-17-2011 | 03:42 PM

E350
Thanks for posting these - I really enjoy side-by-side pictures.

Interestingly, I like the look of the A7 better than the E from every angle.

Originally Posted by K-A
I will say, the driving dynamics of the A7 trump it though.
Pics of the car I tested:

Pics of it next to the E:

Old 05-17-2011 | 03:45 PM

E350
Great summary! Thanks,

Old 05-17-2011 | 04:53 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

RJC,

New CLS is already on mbusa.com. Layout is similar to E - only CLS63 (just like E63) version will get console mounted shifter. CLS will be similarly priced to similarly equipped A8 SWB - A8 has a lot more room, quattro is supurb. And while A8 will be nowhere as quick as CLS, it is already pleanty quick/fast and its interior (A8s that is) is to die for. Oh and you can run 21s on A8, maybe even 22s (I know, 22s will kill the car's performace/handling envelope). Not saying I would, just bringing it up.
I will reserve CLS exterior judgement untill I see it, but I'm not crasy about direction MB is taking with all its cars. Not crazy about A8's exterior either (I would prefer A7's much more), but it is what it is. An ideal car for me would be: A7 Prestige exterior with A8 SWB sport package interior and current MB V8 NA engine.
I know it's been on mbusa and was suggesting you see it in the flesh first. MB etc are all doing the frumpy upright grills due to the new euro pedestrian standards, so much for aerodynamics. I'm not much of a four door guy but the CLS and the A7 help the cause. I'm also not a fan a wheels larger than 19's.
Old 05-17-2011 | 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
I'm also not a fan a wheels larger than 19's.
Ya, I know.

FYI, A7 comes from factory with optional 20s with meaty enough tires - 265/35-20 (like old S8). A8 also comes with optional 20s from factory - 265/40-20, so on A8 one can easialy run 275/35-21 (if such tire size exists) and still have enough sidewall for very complient ride. Most A7s and A8s I've seen had factory 20s on. The problem with 20s is when people are putting them on cars not designed to accept them (E or CLS classes are good examples) in the first place. There are no issues with 20s used on S or CL as they're designed to accept them.
Old 05-17-2011 | 08:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
BenzE350: Not a prob! I live for good side-by-side car pics.

Interesting comments about the A7's interior. I guess the lack of headroom for me was distracting me so much that I didn't pay good enough attention to the materials, lol. However, my comment of "I probably like E's better/it was more for me" probably said more than even I thought it did!

Originally Posted by RJC
I know it's been on mbusa and was suggesting you see it in the flesh first. MB etc are all doing the frumpy upright grills due to the new euro pedestrian standards, so much for aerodynamics. I'm not much of a four door guy but the CLS and the A7 help the cause. I'm also not a fan a wheels larger than 19's.
Actually aero on new Benzes is phenomenal, and the old CLS had a very bad Drag Coeff rating, while the new one is a major improvement. The W212 is also one of the most aerodynamic cars on the market.

But yeah, the pedestrian ratings are ruining many new designs (but can save lives, so we gotta deal with it).

M-B stated that they will continue to invest lots of $$$$ on only the E and S Class fronts, to prevent them from the "Regulation Look", and to keep them with a more classic, and pure look. The rest are getting blunt wall front ends.

Just for the record, the A7's exterior isn't bad to me by any means, except for the rear. It comes across to me as a quirky Italian car, with some Bentley Continental GT (which I'm not completely a fan of actually).

However, it's just not "me" so much, as I never have been attracted to cars with a funky "utility" look (like a Hatchback Sedan), or with quirky "look at me, I'm a whole new design them" statement funkiness going on. I guess I'm just very conservative about my cars. That said, it's a mostly great design, and it isn't fully of funky lines and frills like the new M-B models (whether you find that good or bad).
Old 05-17-2011 | 08:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

KA
I know the current E is an aero winner but the next version will no doubt have the truck like upright flat front like all the new euro sedans, even the new CLS is rather flat. I'm sure if the new regs were not in place the aerodynamics would be even better. One of my neighbors bought a new 750il it has such a flat iron face almost straight upright that the twin kidneys kind of look out of place. At least MBs of yore had the upright traditional radiator grille so there some lineage.

Can't wait to see the new CLS on the road especially with the appearance pkg, in addition to other nice updates the rear lights look incredible from the pics.

3mb's

Even the big sedans S's RR's Bentley's etc are getting to big and 20's/21's+ make these cars too tall, they're starting to remind me of the cars from the 20's and 30's. I think the giant wheels are a fad that is getting over done/played.

Last edited by RJC; 05-17-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2011 | 09:00 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, BMW's faces have been ruined due to the Regs. It's like they're not even trying to work around it.

I did read that M-B stated that they will continue to invest heavily to keep only the E and S-Class faces non-flat and Regulation-affected, but we'll see.

I saw the CLS on the road, in a freak occurrence, here's what I said about it in another Thread:

I couldn't believe it, I saw one on the road tonight! It was this dark blue color.

VERY nice and elegant car. The reverse wedge upper character line which bugs me SO much might not look as bad in person, although I still didn't love it (kind of distracting from the design, gotta see it in more elements to see how I really feel about it).

A few notes: It doesn't look as "Coupe" as the original, as the greenhouse looks a bit taller and more elegant. Also, it's not as "shouty" as the original, or as it appears in pics, I almost want to call it "understated" (maybe it was the color), and it doesn't seem be as dynamic or have as much imposing presence/strength language as the E-Class does, however it looks, again, VERY elegant, very smooth and svelte, yet crisp. Very classy. The rear end is gorgeous to me.

All in all, I'm sure I'm gonna be a big fan. Although I don't know if I'll like it more than the E-Class, or if I'll find it to be worth the price premium to me.

And here's a post by Tjdehya on it:

Originally Posted by Tjdehya
When I saw the pictures of the new C I actually thought that the C-class was getting the "Classy" HVAC unit from the CLS. Then after fiddling with it I quickly realized that it was the CLS getting the "cheap" HVAC unit form the C. It's really no big deal but... it's just so out of place. I will say that it felt VERY un-Mercedes.

Like I said before I didnt spend anytime behind the wheels of the previous CLS so I didn't want to do a E Vs CLS comparison but for the E-class owners I will.
The first thing I noticed was sound. OMG the engine... With the E550 when you step on the throttle you hear nothing but the exhaust on the CLS has a nice audible rumble when you step on it... Not quite a AMG but it's a very welcome note that is not audible in the E. What I didn't like was the engine noise from the front... I like to hear the exhaust of the engine and not the actual engine. I was not a fan of the engine noise but others might be.
The cabin is not as quiet as the E. Not even close. It wasn't loud but for an E-driver it is noticeable. Ambient, Tire, Engine, Exhaust sounds all made its way into the cabin. For me the only welcome sound was the exhaust.

It is much more luxurious than the E, only an E with the Designo options would match the CLS. EVERY thing was premium touch (if you don't touch the climate controls ) Looking at and touching the soft stitched dash in the CLS made the E's Dash feel "cheap" even though The E's dash is not that bad.

Sitting in the rear didn't feels as cramped as I thought it would. I am 6' and I was more comfortable back there than in my E because of the seats and legroom. The difference in headroom between the E and the CLS were not a factor for a 6'er. Again the seats were the money maker for the rear passengers. IMO a panoramic roof would complete the luxurious feel for the rear passengers. I know it's a sportier car but Mercedes has the Pano roof as options for its coupes so I don't know why they didn't make it available for the CLS.
The Trunk is noticeably smaller (obviously).
The doors did not have that "solid Mercedes built like a tank" feel. Which is to be expected with the new lighter aluminum doors.

The new IC is f-ing beautiful and thats all I am going to say about that.

I think the Nav is the same as the E but the open housing makes it look bigger. I don't know if it is but I prefer it to the E. I think it may be because the E's nav is too far away from the driver while the CLS is a few inches closer and not housed and buried as much as the E.

My dealer kept insisting over and over that this CLS was not a real CLS. I don't know how true it was but he insisted that I should come back and take a production line CLS for a spin next month. Apparently this CLS was just brought to the Vegas for an Event and it has been shipped to various events over the past couple months. He says maybe the HVAC controls won't feel so cheap, less road noise and a few other options may be different.

I only snapped a couple Iphone pics.

Old 05-18-2011 | 12:15 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for sharing this. Man that engine is beautiful. I wonder if the sound he didn't like coming from the engine was the pronounced turbo hiss I heard while driving it in the CL550.

Did you happen to catch the rear view of the one you saw on the road? From what I've seen in the pics @ mbusa the new tail lights are quite nice. I'm still having trouble with that front fascia, I hope it looks more pleasing to the eye in person, here it looks almost Dodge like? eek!

Last edited by RJC; 05-18-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-18-2011 | 04:28 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

RJC: I agree about the front, not too elegant or classy considering what I'd expect, and chalk it up to the pedestrian regulations. I know FOR SURE I will prefer my E-Classes front to the CLS's, so that leaves the sides and back for it to "win me over on".

The CLS's side looked more subdued than in pics (this was at night, mind you), and like I said, the car looked weirdly "understated". The rear looked AMAZING, I loved it. Taillights look gorgeous, and the whole rear just looked good, although the chrome strip could have been more elegantly fused in IMO (it just abruptly stops at the ends, while the E's is incorporated a bit more smoothly IMO).

The headlights also looked really cool (LED's), a bit busy, but elegant in their own "showy"/glammy way, but very cool.

One thing TJ mentioned that is an almost deal breaker, considering how much more the CLS costs, is that it was louder than the E. I'd want it to be just the same, if not quieter, if it costs more. Also, it's upsetting that the aluminum doors don't have that classic M-B "tank clasp" of the doors, as the W212's door closing sound always tickles my fancy. Lastly, the A/C is very unfortunate, the E has such a high end and elegant unit, while the CLS takes the very cheap and cheesy C's.
Old 05-18-2011 | 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lastly, the A/C is very unfortunate, the E has such a high end and elegant unit, while the CLS takes the very cheap and cheesy C's.

Couldn't agree more on this point. How can you put that cheapo cheese ball looking analog twisting pos in a car this high end and classy? SL has the same but I attributed it to a more sporty look. At least put a digital readout in the middle of the dial and give me .5 or 1.0 degree increments. A classless red indicator of 2.0 degree changes is junk.
Old 05-18-2011 | 10:45 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I also don't like how the cupholders are constantly exposed in the CLS, while in the E you can hide them. The Euro CLS also hides the cupholders with the wooden door, however, M-B is pandering to the American "drink while you drive" obsession too hardcore in the U.S spec CLS.
Old 05-18-2011 | 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 AMG EQS
Lastly, the A/C is very unfortunate, the E has such a high end and elegant unit, while the CLS takes the very cheap and cheesy C's.

Couldn't agree more on this point. How can you put that cheapo cheese ball looking analog twisting pos in a car this high end and classy? SL has the same but I attributed it to a more sporty look. At least put a digital readout in the middle of the dial and give me .5 or 1.0 degree increments. A classless red indicator of 2.0 degree changes is junk.
You know it's not the look that bothers me, or the lack of a digital readout, it was the CHEAPNESS of its feel. It does not belong in any Mercedes, it didn't feel like it even belonged in Honda. It was "Wal-Mart Fabulous"
Originally Posted by RJC
Thanks for sharing this. Man that engine is beautiful. I wonder if the sound he didn't like coming from the engine was the pronounced turbo hiss I heard while driving it in the CL550.
No it was definitely the Engine, I like to hear the exhaust because to me that's the car telling me "this is what I can do and there plenty more where that comes from."

I don't like to hear the engine because that reminds me of a car that is working too hard and is saying to me "I think I can, I think I can, I am trying my best"
Again that is JMO and maybe others may like it or love it.
Originally Posted by K-A
One thing TJ mentioned that is an almost deal breaker, considering how much more the CLS costs, is that it was louder than the E. I'd want it to be just the same, if not quieter, if it costs more.
Keep in mind that the engine and exhaust sound was only at WOT. In the E at WOT you hear almost nothing while the CLS gives you a louder audible feedback. But while cruising I did notice that the cabin was not as serene as the E when it came to outside ambient noise.

Originally Posted by K-A
I also don't like how the cupholders are constantly exposed in the CLS, while in the E you can hide them. The Euro CLS also hides the cupholders with the wooden door, however, M-B is pandering to the American "drink while you drive" obsession too hardcore in the U.S spec CLS.
Yes I noticed this too and I didn't like it, I didn't mention it because the previous gen CLS also had exposed cupholders so I didn't want to sound like an E-class brat.

I had to keep reminding myself that while the CLS interior is more luxurious than the E, the E is more of a Luxury car than the CLS.
Old 05-18-2011 | 10:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

"....while the CLS interior is more luxurious than the E, the E is more of a Luxury car than the CLS."

Good point, and very true.

What Dealership in Vegas has the CLS btw? I might be stopping through for a quick bit, and would love to check it out.

I've checked almost every Dealer around me here, and nobody has it until the end of May/beginning of June (1-2 weeks it seems). I wonder who's I saw driving? It looked like a customers car, but I guess not.
Old 05-18-2011 | 11:48 PM

11 E550, 05 NSX, 12 QX56, 93 Z32 TT, 12 CLS550
Well.... sounds like it would be tough to switch out the E for some of us here, including myself. There are a few great cars on the horizon, but I still cannot justify the extra $$$ for just looks. Please post some pics if you are out testing the cls.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone thinking of switching out