E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-24-2015, 02:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Common problems with W212?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by EmE247
I think the only problem that I really have with my W212 is the suspension and how it doesnt take hitting potholes too well.
Same here. The W212 Sport has the best ride over smooth roads that I've ever personally experienced, but it can't handle rough stuff. The Mazda 6 loaner I have right now is MUCH smoother over rough roads, but doesn't handle nearly as well and doesn't feel nearly as poised, balanced and substantial.

Originally Posted by Arrie
Since December 2009 and only 26 000 miles on it? Is it just a show piece?
Damn, I wonder what you'd think about my 8,600 Miles in 1 year on this car!

About the M-B Tex, I am a fan of it, and am glad it is standard on this car. It is LEAGUES better than BMW Leatherette, and IMO has many perks over leather, especially the not-so-great Leather that comes at a premium on the W212.

It's funny because I checked out an F10 (again) today, while waiting for my car to be serviced. The interior is really nice, and IMO the exterior is as well, but I don't think the outside really compares to the dynamism the W212 provides. Inside, I gotta say it's a toss up, with each having perks over the other. However, the F10 did have some shoddy fit and finish in areas (an embarrassing fitment issue with the plastic piece that covers the back of the front seats), and on another note, I was surprised to find the BMW to have better rear headroom for a 6'4 person like myself (a non issue to me at all, but found it interesting).

Reliability wise, no doubt the W212 in general is a considerably more reliable car, and M-B as a whole, especially their newest products, are proving to be of a higher reliability-quality than BMW's.

Last edited by K-A; 06-01-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serpent S966
Here is a good review by someone over at bimmerpost, not sure if you have read it, but I think is a good point of view with "less" fanboy's effects.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545416
Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by pwidjaja
Here is a good review by someone over at bimmerpost, not sure if you have read it, but I think is a good point of view with "less" fanboy's effects.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545416
That was a good review, and without all the usual fanboy stuff (K-A are you listening? LOL.)

It reminded me of one big thing that I personally really liked with the BMW: the driver's cockpit. The F10 has a great seating position with a really nice ergonomic cockpit feel. At least it fit me very well.

Add the multi-contour seats and it was perfect. With the W212, I felt like I was "sitting on top" of things, whereas in the F10 I felt a bit lower and nicely surrounded by the cabin. The W212 just didn't feel snug and nearly as ergonomic. For me, there's a much better designed driver's position in the F10.

Buying a car is a personal and very subjective thing. Do your research, sure. But also use your "gut feeling" and get what works for you and you alone. There are a lot of great choices these days. You can't really go wrong with any of them.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by 220S
......To the OP: here are the 2012 E Class platform portfolio order sheets. Prices are only current estimates (Euro/dollar exchange, etc..)
Would you or someone be able to post this same info either here or in the C207 forum for the 2012 E Class Coupe and Cabrio? My dealer claims to not have it yet.

Thank you.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
......The W212 Sport has the best ride over smooth roads that I've ever personally experienced, but it can't handle rough stuff......
My apologies for resurrecting this, but I had the same experience driving the sport (18") and non-sport (17") versions of the C207 Coupe in April, 2010. Well, the 17" standard package on the coupe did not provide "the best ride I've ever experienced," but it was signficantly better than the sport ("Appearance") package.

I've noticed that MB is now shipping the 18" rims on this model with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, instead of the original Pirelli P Zero Nero tires.

Curious if they have also made this change on the 2011 W212, if Pirellis were originally supplied in 2010. If so, I wonder if this change would improve the ride. I haven't had a chance to test drive a 2011 C207 with the Michelins.

I am a coupe kinda' guy and aesthetically the C207 cries out for the larger rims, but the ride IMHO was subpar.

Any info or opinions on the Pirelli's vs. Michelins would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes E550 4M, 2003 BMW X5 4.4i
Originally Posted by BudC
Better yet, order a new one and get a fresh car
That's exactly what I did. First time ordering a new car. Man was the wait long around 4 months. It has 8500Kms on it and still has the new leather smell. My X5's leather smell didn't last very long.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:50 PM

2011 Mercedes E550 4M, 2003 BMW X5 4.4i
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
Any info or opinions on the Pirelli's vs. Michelins would be appreciated.
My 2011 E550 4matic came with Pirelli Nero Zero All-Seasons and 18" star-spoke rims. My X5 has Michelins All-Seasons, but the Pirellis are much better in snow, ice, and rain. The E550 grips onto snow and ice much better than the Michelins. The X5 would slide and even oversteer a lot in snow, but the E550 shows little to no slipping or sliding. Also, the Pirellis stop quicker than the Michelins and grips the road firmly even on a icy slope. The Pirellis make winter tires unnecessary in snowy conditions. I live in Calgary, and it snows crazy out here!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Doing fine

Have had my E350 with P1 package for about a year and a half. Everything is doing fine on it. Has MB Tex, but everybody thinks it is leather. Two previous cars had leather and after a while, wear on driver's seat began to show. Had leather on car several years ago and it cracked pretty bad on the bolsters and would have cost a fortune to repair it.
Have read that many "leather" seats actually have plastic film over the leather to protect it.
I use Vinylx every 3-4 months on all my vinyl/plastic and seems to work well.
In case you are not aware, there is a difference between the Luxury and Sport versions of the E350. Ride is different so test drive the car carefully.
May not be accurate, but I always think of MB as being between a BMW (performance) and Lexus (comfort and luxury).
Old 06-01-2011, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzMan369
Would you or someone be able to post this same info either here or in the C207 forum for the 2012 E Class Coupe and Cabrio? My dealer claims to not have it yet.

Thank you.
Just download the pdf file that I attached to the post and then you can upload it yourself in a post to the C207 forum (you may need to change the title of the file since MBWorld stores the attachment and sometimes you can't upload duplicates.)

It's not the actual order sheets but a MBUSA power point presentation in pdf format. But all the info is exactly the same as the order sheets which should be available soon.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:14 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by csquared
My 2011 E550 4matic came with Pirelli Nero Zero All-Seasons and 18" star-spoke rims. My X5 has Michelins All-Seasons, but the Pirellis are much better in snow, ice, and rain. The E550 grips onto snow and ice much better than the Michelins. The X5 would slide and even oversteer a lot in snow, but the E550 shows little to no slipping or sliding. Also, the Pirellis stop quicker than the Michelins and grips the road firmly even on a icy slope. The Pirellis make winter tires unnecessary in snowy conditions. I live in Calgary, and it snows crazy out here!
Thank you. Very interesting. Seems to run counter to some (admittedly limited) reading I've done regarding these tires.

Your opinion is certainly valuable, given your driving environment!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I don't think that stating that the W212 being "much more reliable/quality than the F10" is "fanboy'ing" at all. I have data and anecdotal (Forums, etc.) info to back me up.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550.. Gone but never forgotton - E63 AMG..
That was a good review, and without all the usual fanboy stuff (K-A are you listening? LOL.)

It reminded me of one big thing that I personally really liked with the BMW: the driver's cockpit. The F10 has a great seating position with a really nice ergonomic cockpit feel. At least it fit me very well.

Add the multi-contour seats and it was perfect. With the W212, I felt like I was "sitting on top" of things, whereas in the F10 I felt a bit lower and nicely surrounded by the cabin. The W212 just didn't feel snug and nearly as ergonomic. For me, there's a much better designed driver's position in the F10.

Buying a car is a personal and very subjective thing. Do your research, sure. But also use your "gut feeling" and get what works for you and you alone. There are a lot of great choices these days. You can't really go wrong with any of them.
Completely agree with you on the seating position of the BMW. It's no contest. I feel like the front end of my seat in the Benz should rise alittle higher, I almost feel like im sitting on a flat seat. I sat in the new 5er and thought the seat position was simply perfect. How ever the most comfortable/perfect seat that I have ever sat on was with out question my 2008 E63. Man do I miss that car.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM

2007 E350
The cushioning on the leather seats feels softer to me than the MB Tex -- I've heard others make the same comment. Sit in both and see if you feel a difference.

You might also want to consider going with designo if seating options are important to you, but it'll drive the cost up by $4K or so for interior and $3K for exterior, and you'll have to special order as well. Search for designo in the forum for links.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ESIX3POWER
Completely agree with you on the seating position of the BMW. It's no contest. I feel like the front end of my seat in the Benz should rise alittle higher, I almost feel like im sitting on a flat seat. I sat in the new 5er and thought the seat position was simply perfect. How ever the most comfortable/perfect seat that I have ever sat on was with out question my 2008 E63. Man do I miss that car.
I keep going back and forth about selling my 2009 E63. But I just got back from a 5 hour run up the coast to Morro Bay and back and the car was indeed comfortable. Plus I got 19 mpg all on back roads doing 50 to 80 plus some traffic through a couple of small towns. And that included a few "dropping down three gears and mashing it to pass" maneuvers.

The thing that concerns me is that I might regret dumping the car. It's not perfect (but nothing is) and I'm not sure I want to risk making a mistake and end up wanting it back. Also this NA motor is smooth as silk and everything out there is pretty much FI now.

K-A, I was making a joke (and it wasn't specific to the F10.) Some of your posts about Mercedes get a bit gushy Like I said earlier, you need to send them your vitae and some MB love letter samples. I'm sure Daimler media can find a job for you
Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

K-A, I was making a joke (and it wasn't specific to the F10.) Some of your posts about Mercedes get a bit gushy Like I said earlier, you need to send them your vitae and some MB love letter samples. I'm sure Daimler media can find a job for you
Yes, I know you were.

Fact is, I'm just a passionate enthusiast, with logic mixed in (if you want to see enthusiasm sans logic, go to the BMW boards, they have plenty of that, although the F10 community is one of the best I've seen).

Benz Boards tend to me a bit overly logical, conservative, etc. If you look at about any other Message Board, you'd find goofy Threads like "When did your car become a part of you"? With tons of passionate Replies. The E-Class is one of the best cars on the road, so I have no problem gushing about it!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by E550Shopper
The cushioning on the leather seats feels softer to me than the MB Tex -- I've heard others make the same comment. Sit in both and see if you feel a difference.

You might also want to consider going with designo if seating options are important to you, but it'll drive the cost up by $4K or so for interior and $3K for exterior, and you'll have to special order as well. Search for designo in the forum for links.
What's funny is the O/P in that BMW Forum Thread posted here, stated that he felt that the M-B Tex seats were more cushioned than the Leather optioned E-Class seats.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serpent S966
Originally Posted by ESIX3POWER
+1, it also kind of feel safer inside F10 cockpit. But on E's credit, it gives better visibility due to lower dashboard and surrounding panels.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I'm not a car-tech freak so the Command is fine to me, but iDrive is REALLY that much better. I mean, it's not even better, it's on another level entirely. Only problem with it is that it's too overwhelming and complicated, whilst the Command is very simple and straightforward.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Just download the pdf file that I attached to the post and then you can upload it yourself in a post to the C207 forum (you may need to change the title of the file since MBWorld stores the attachment and sometimes you can't upload duplicates.)

It's not the actual order sheets but a MBUSA power point presentation in pdf format. But all the info is exactly the same as the order sheets which should be available soon.
My apologies; I didn't make myself clear.

I am looking for a document similar to what you posted for the W212, but for the 2012 E Class Coupe/Cabrio, if it exists. There are some differences in available new options between the sedan and the coupe/cab.

For example, I am interested in actually seeing a picture, even a small one, of the new U.S. version red/black leather option for the C207's. Can't be certain it will be rendered exactly the same as the Euro version red/black leather that's been available for some time and I don't want to buy blind.

If any help obtaining this info is possible, it would be appreciated.

I'll get out of the way now, since this is off topic.