Two Electronics Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Two Electronics Issues

...one drives me crazy,the other...not so much.Automatic headlights drive me crazy for a million different reasons.Has anyone tried...and succeded...in remedying this? I know there are at least of couple of current MB models that have the "O" position in addition to the "A" postition on their headlight switch and I'd be willing to go that route if it would work.Thoughts/experiences,anyone?

Also,I'd love to be able to disable the sunroof opening,along with the windows,when you employ the "all windows down" function on the keyfob.I'll gratefully listen to any ideas on that subject as well.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550, 2018 Land Cruiser, 1966 Vette
Agreed about the headlights. Seems like once they go on in my dark garage, they take forever to go off in bright daylight. If I switch to parking lights before starting up and then back to "A" once I'm outside, it seems to me that it alleviates the situation somewhat. But I haven't done this enough to quantify it.

Why MB would take this out of drivers' control is beyond me. Does any other maker have auto-only?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by fingroupb
Agreed about the headlights. Seems like once they go on in my dark garage, they take forever to go off in bright daylight. If I switch to parking lights before starting up and then back to "A" once I'm outside, it seems to me that it alleviates the situation somewhat. But I haven't done this enough to quantify it.

Why MB would take this out of drivers' control is beyond me. Does any other maker have auto-only?
That's exactly what I do (put it in "P" before switching back to "A" when I get outside). Stupid thing M-B did. Now, instead of saving me some effort, they make me go through some lame process when I leave my garage. Not to mention, if I miscalculate how long it takes for the car to realize I'm in fact in sunlight, I'll put it in "A" and the lights will pop on for a second, then go off, which is actually worse for the expensive Xenons than having them go on for a couple of minutes in the first place.

.... That, or I'll forget to turn them off, and realize later that I left my Parking lights on.

One of the worst things M-B did is take that option (to turn the headlights off) out of our hands.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Mine switch off almost immediately when I leave my garage and enter sunlight. I have been really impressed with how well the auto setting works. In PA we are now required to have our lights on if the windshield wipers are active, and, sometimes it stays too light for the auto lights to turn off. Overall though, it is certainly not the worst system I have encountered.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Mine switch off almost immediately when I leave my garage and enter sunlight. I have been really impressed with how well the auto setting works. In PA we are now required to have our lights on if the windshield wipers are active, and, sometimes it stays too light for the auto lights to turn off. Overall though, it is certainly not the worst system I have encountered.
I'm not suggesting that it shouldn't be featured...I know that many higher end cars today have it.My problem is that there's no manual option.My BMW had a manual option...as did both my Infinitis.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550, 2018 Land Cruiser, 1966 Vette
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Mine switch off almost immediately when I leave my garage and enter sunlight. I have been really impressed with how well the auto setting works.
There must be some sort of sensitivity setting then since mine wants to think about it a while before switching off. I'll have to remember to ask my dealer about this when going in for service. Could be a while though...almost two months old and just 700 miles on the clock!

In thinking about it, I have Xenons too...maybe they need to stay on longer.

Last edited by fingroupb; 06-27-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: additional info...
Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by fingroupb
There must be some sort of sensitivity setting then since mine wants to think about it a while before switching off. I'll have to remember to ask my dealer about this when going in for service. Could be a while though...almost two months old and just 700 miles on the clock!

In thinking about it, I have Xenons too...maybe they need to stay on longer.
Actually it probably wouldn't hurt to ask the dealership's service department.However,they just might have a motive to refuse to answer such questions...perhaps a fear that I (or my heirs) could turn around someday and claim,in a court room,that that fatal accident wouldn't have happened if the dealership hadn't assisted in overriding that "vital safety feature".

Technically speaking I suspect that as a "failsafe" the default setting for this feature is "headlights on" in case there's any malfunction of that feature.But that's just a hunch on my part.