IPOD question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
IPOD question

My wife's IPOD needs to be replaced. Are there any IPOD experts out there who know which current IPOD models are compatable with the MB set up in a 10 E Class with HK sound. Her current one is but its failing and is many years old. I just have not kept up with that stuff.

Thanks!!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
All of them.... they are a standard of sorts.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
Originally Posted by Cartronics
All of them.... they are a standard of sorts.
This is not accurate. While COMMAND can access and play any iPod (I think) it cannot charge all models. I believe it will not charge 5v as opposed to 12v iPods. Eg there are charging issues with nanos

A cleaner solution is to use the USB slot or a PCMCIA adaptor.

Apple is fascist. Personally I will make all effort to avoid another apple product. Ironic though I am writing this on an iPad.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by sosh
My wife's IPOD needs to be replaced. Are there any IPOD experts out there who know which current IPOD models are compatable with the MB set up in a 10 E Class with HK sound. Her current one is but its failing and is many years old. I just have not kept up with that stuff.

Thanks!!
According to the COMAND manual, the Mini, Nano, Classic and Touch are fully supported. I've tried older Nano and Classic iPods and they work OK.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
Originally Posted by sosh

Thanks!!
Both my Nano gen 2 and my Wife's Nano gen 4 work fine in my 2010 E350.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by MagicJack
This is not accurate. While COMMAND can access and play any iPod (I think) it cannot charge all models. I believe it will not charge 5v as opposed to 12v iPods. Eg there are charging issues with nanos

Apple is fascist. Personally I will make all effort to avoid another apple product. Ironic though I am writing this on an iPad.
Sorry, I am a Mercedes Engineer and Apple developer... There has not been a 12v charge iPod made since 2006 (and even those old ones would still 5v charge too). The older Mercedes iPod adapters were 12v charge only (pre 2007 adapters). However, even for those cars, there is a quick fix for that. The original poster has a 2010 E, so it is a 5v charge car. If he is purchase a new iPod, he will not be able to buy one that will not work in a 2010 E class. ALL model iPods will work that are now available.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lexus gx470
Originally Posted by MagicJack

Ipad?! Really? Gtfo.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
Sorry, I am a Mercedes Engineer and Apple developer... There has not been a 12v charge iPod made since 2006 (and even those old ones would still 5v charge too). The older Mercedes iPod adapters were 12v charge only (pre 2007 adapters). However, even for those cars, there is a quick fix for that. The original poster has a 2010 E, so it is a 5v charge car. If he is purchase a new iPod, he will not be able to buy one that will not work in a 2010 E class. ALL model iPods will work that are now available.
The following website will help.
http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/..._passenger.php

I've got a 2010 E550 and the 4th gen nano will play but NOT charge.
I've have an early production 2010 and was supplied with accessory cable A0018278604 but not in combination with cable A0018278404.

Despite this and speaking with mbusa, my dealer wants to charge me 120$ for the updated cable as it is not a warranty item.

There is a convoluted work around that takes ~30 seconds before car startup which makes use of a scosche passPORT charge adapter that I can share if anyone else is in a similar situation.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 AMG
I have a 30GB ipod and it works, but I cannot use the number pad to jump to artist names after the letter J ... My wife also has a 30GB ipod and it has the same issue ...
Old 07-02-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Get the Transcend PCMCIA adapter and a 8-16gig compact flash card for around 30 to 40 dollars. Do not buy these from Mercedes!! They will rip you a new one.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by GeoE63
I have a 30GB ipod and it works, but I cannot use the number pad to jump to artist names after the letter J ... My wife also has a 30GB ipod and it has the same issue ...
Because the factory module does not load past 99 Artists names. Other systems do not suffer this fate.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430 2006
W220 cartronics functions help!

Just installed itronics iPhone/iPod unit and really happy with it. I did it through a professional high end audio shop and it was a great experience so far. I was particularly pleased with the Bluetooth phone connection. Crisp sound, easy menu navigation and excellent quality overall. I have two small issues I need help figuring out.

1. Callers complain about echo of their own voices when they are talking to me through itronics Bluetooth. Any advice on how to reduce that sound? I don't have any problem on my end as I hear them perfectly.

2. Snce the manual for itronics iPod depicts a non w220 command panel, I could not figure out what they mean by using the cd command keys. The problem I have encountered so far is in changing files within folders except for "All Songs" folder. Each folder I access is stuck on the first file no matter how I scroll up or down onto another file. Highlighted or not, pressing the ok key or not, waiting a few or many seconds or not, the songs that play are the first one in the folder list, be it albums, genres or playlists.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I am using an iPhone 4, with all the updates and I connect it through the installed iPod cable in the glovebox.

I could wait till Tuesday to call the installer and have him look at it or give me some solutions but I really want to enjoy using it now as I am driving back and forth from the beach on this holiday weekend.

Any tips are much appreciated.

Also, any ideas as to the sounds quality of the iPod bluetooth dongle?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Please call our support department, and we will be happy to help you resolve those issues. They are quick to fix, but you need to call us from the car.

We have manual for all cars. However, the secret key is SEEK+ (press and hold it for 2 seconds to select items) - We can even set up autoselect for you.

In general, you should direct tech questions directly to us by phone or through our website. As we are the programmers for the product, and can help you quickly and help you fully understand your system.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:00 AM

S430 2006
Please call our support department, and we will be happy to help you resolve those issues. They are quick to fix, but you need to call us from the car.

We have manual for all cars. However, the secret key is SEEK+ (press and hold it for 2 seconds to select items) - We can even set up autoselect for you.

In general, you should direct tech questions directly to us by phone or through our website. As we are the programmers for the product, and can help you quickly and help you fully understand your system.
Brilliant. I will try that this morning and will ring you up tomorrow, since today is a holiday. I appreciate your response and wish you a happy forth!

Btw, this unit just rocks. I just love the dual display of info on both the command screen and the dash. Also, seamless execution through the steering wheel buttons.

Cheers.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 AMG
Because the factory module does not load past 99 Artists names. Other systems do not suffer this fate.
Could you explain your statement better. Are you referring to the factory module of the car? My friend has a S63 AMG with a newer ipod and does not have the same problem. I'm pretty sure that it is my particular version of iPod and not the car.

I suspect that you are just trying to market your product ...
Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It depends on the age of the iPod interface in the car. The newer interfaces will address larger collections. Older firmware interfaces have a 99 artist/track/album limit.

Also another cause of this is if you are not using iTunes to catalog your music, or are using any form of alternate iPod function other than what Apple intended. Even an old hard drive based iPod will work, as long as you are using a current version of iTunes AND a current version of iPod software on the iPod. If all the above are true.... it is the firmware on the iPod interface in the car.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:48 PM

S430 2006
follow up on iTronics iPod.

Originally Posted by Deadringer
Brilliant. I will try that this morning and will ring you up tomorrow, since today is a holiday. I appreciate your response and wish you a happy forth!

Btw, this unit just rocks. I just love the dual display of info on both the command screen and the dash. Also, seamless execution through the steering wheel buttons.

Cheers.
So, I took it back to the shop that installed it and had them fix it the way I wanted it (i.e. auto-selection). Also, had some little issues with the BT phone part, as it kept freezing on me every time I made a call, which the guys at the shop fixed in less than 20 mins by rectifying some wiring problems.

Awesome device!

Also, thanks to the iTronics guy I called up yesterday evening and picked up, despite being on a holiday weekend, to suggest a quick fix to the freezing problem, all this after knowing that I bought my device directly from the shop and not from them. I am grateful. Turns out that the Command shuts everything off after a minute or so.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Deadringer.... thanks for the input!!! I wrote ahead to the shop last night to warn them of the problem and to have them ring me to give them specific fix for your problem. If I understood what they told me correctly, a new installer had put it in initially and mixed up an install rule. Anyway, I think they sorted it quickly and all should be good now.
Glad I could help.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Deadringer

Also, any ideas as to the sounds quality of the iPod bluetooth dongle?
Just as low fi as the iPod. It's a convenience device, like battery powered AM radios of the 60s. About the same frequency response and dynamic range. We had ear buds in those too.

Just do not get me started on boo tooth. IR was better and more secure.

Written on an iPAD.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:38 PM

2009 Mercedes benz e300
I have a 2009 MB E300 4matic and I am trying to hook-up my iPhone thru my Bluetooth command system. I was told that I need a A0018278604 cable to connect the iPhone to the USB outlet inside the glove compartment box. Now after I make the connection and synch my iPhone to my car audio system can I use the key pad on the dash to make phone calls? Also we're can I buy the A0018278604 cable? And how much is the cost of the cable?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Bluetooth is a wireless connection, you do not need a cable.

Go here http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/ and click on *connecting blue tooth phones, 2009 and later models*. Follow the instructions when you get there.

You should find instructions for operating your telephone in your owner's manual. You will find interactive versions of the manuals here. http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals
Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 PM

2011 E350
Gen 3 iPod touch works perfect and charges constant on the dongle. Bluetooth is a nice connection, but you do loose a little bit of bass!